Getting Low Hum with New Carts

Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
Just upgraded my standard Stanton 500 carts to Shure M44-Gs, and I noticed when the turntable (1200s) is on and the needle is touching a record, I can hear a low hum (listening on headphones or through the stereo). If I cut the power or lift the needle, the hum stops. I didn't notice this with my Stantons. Seems like a grounding issue but all my connections seem fine. This happens on both tables, with both carts. The only issue I had with the installation was that I couldn't use the washers that came with the cartridge-headshell screws, becuase the groove in the headshell wasn't wide enough (Stanton and Technics headshells), but I can't imagine that being the issue.
Suggestions?

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Checking your tonearm counterbalance so that it isn't dragging the cart was the first thing I thought about.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    [strike]Unscrew the headshell (or whatever the main bit that holds the cartridge is called) from the tonearm.
    Lick the connection bit.
    Screw it back in.
    Experiment with differing amounts of saliva.

This usually clears up poor connection/single channel signals etc in the short-term, and it may be that the headshell thing needs cleaning.
    Check that the earth wire hasn't come loose.[/strike]

Edit: never noticed this happening only when the needle is in the groove. Take the whole thing apart and start again, must be something loose I imagine.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    check the 4 small wires if they are connected propper

• Thanks for the tips. I'll recheck the 4 colored wires. I did bust a couple of the new ones while installing and ended up using the old ones as replacements.

Cosmo, I have the weight at the recommended 1.5g and anti-skate at 0.

The issue happens even when the turntable is stopped, with the needle in the lead-in groove.