Eric and Rah / ain't no joke

bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
Back in the days on Londons Capitol Radio hip hip show Chuck Chillout used to do a a "new York rap report".
He mentioned that Rakim's Ain't No Joke was aimed at the Furious Five.
Something to do with them biting his style, and he mentioned something about this happening at The Rooftop.
Now this was at the time when The Furious Five dropped U Know What Time It Is, which vocally is very different sounding from the Furious Fives other work, and not a million miles away from Rakims style, so I always gathered that U Kniw What Time It Is is the reason behind the diss. Remember back in those days you only had to drop a vaguely similar style to get accused of biting.

Anyway I've never meet anyone who remembers hearing about this being the meaning behind Ain't No Joke and my above account is a bit vague, I am remembering this from 87.

Just wondering if anyone else heard this at the time or has anything to fill in the blanks.

Thing is in the lyrics rah mentions "seven mc's" The furious Five were I guess five mcs, six with Melle.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Melle Mel > Rakim

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    bboyparkz said:

Thing is in the lyrics rah mentions "seven mc's" The furious Five were I guess five mcs, six with Melle.

(7+7+7)
    -------------------- = 7
    3rd eye