Weekend finds!

Sweet_PremiumSweet_Premium 368 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
Maybe a bit early, but here we go:

Some of my lighlights:
Just reissued on Soundways. Not THAT rare, but really nice!

New York disco-rap on FLASHHA

Swedish jazz. Some really nice tunes!

Classic on Alshire, still sealed

Sorry for the low quality pictures.

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Damn Holmes, you found some heat. Great haul!

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Sweet_Premium said:
    Maybe a bit early, but here we go:

Some of my lighlights:
    Just reissued on Soundways. Not THAT rare, but really nice!

New York disco-rap on FLASHHA

Swedish jazz. Some really nice tunes!

Classic on Alshire, still sealed

Sorry for the low quality pictures.

Hugh Masekela's Home Is Where The Music Is 2lp is worth seeking if you like the Hedzoleh Sounds lp.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Long-time want nabbed for $3.95! This shit looks corny but it's remarkable vibes-led Latin Jazz.

This is another white whale of mine. Super-classic mambo jazz / descarga, the OG version:

Anyone know if "La La La" ever came out on an LP?

I've never seen that Maskmen LP before Rock. That Freddie Scott has some good tracks.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Nice one on the Killing Floor! I'd like to find that one. Just got the Jack Dupree & Mickey Baker LP on the same Sire label today, along with a clean promo mint up of Ramsey Lewis Mother Nature's Son and clean Ray Barretto Latino Con Soul on UA.

Freddie Scott LP doesn't have the best songs from his 45s on it but he's great with ballads and has a hell of a voice ... I admit to a bias cause he's the only soul singer I know from Providence, Rhode Island, but I really dig that album a lot.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    "Satin Latino" by Federico Ramirez aka longtime Los Angeles vibist Fred Ramirez is a classic. The track "Voodoo" is honestly to me one of the best vibes latin jazz descarga tracks of all time on the level of Bobby Paunetto, Louie Ramirez, Joe Cuba, Tjader, Bobby Montez, etc. I found 30+ sealed copies of this LP here in SD back in the day @ a long gone Mexican record store. Took them to England later on a trip & made people/friends like Snowboy, Mark Wimmers, Gerald Short, & DJ Friendly happy chaps with their acquisition of this. Myself, Miles Perlich, Vinnie E, & Chris V I think were the first people to discover this record. Curbelo's "La La La" is a great track. I have it on LP & Jack Costanzo did a nice version of it on his comeback record I worked on "Back From Havana".

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    esskay said:
    "Satin Latino" by Federico Ramirez aka longtime Los Angeles vibist Fred Ramirez is a classic. The track "Voodoo" is honestly to me one of the best vibes latin jazz descarga tracks of all time on the level of Bobby Paunetto, Louie Ramirez, Joe Cuba, Tjader, Bobby Montez, etc. I found 30+ sealed copies of this LP here in SD back in the day @ a long gone Mexican record store. Took them to England later on a trip & made people/friends like Snowboy, Mark Wimmers, Gerald Short, & DJ Friendly happy chaps with their acquisition of this. Myself, Miles Perlich, Vinnie E, & Chris V I think were the first people to discover this record. Curbelo's "La La La" is a great track. I have it on LP & Jack Costanzo did a nice version of it on his comeback record I worked on "Back From Havana".

:sonned:

• subsub 311 Posts
    from the last two fleamarkets. my personal highlight is finding the walter strerath as a near mint original for 15 euro on a record fair today. ximo and judy is private german brazil album. very nice too. ramblers is nigerian highlife. the manu dibango album is incredible as well..

• Wow, big score on that Walter Strerath!

• I just took a walk down to a local record spot. These are 4 of the pieces I came back with.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    holmes said:
    That Freddie Scott has some good tracks.

I love this record. It gets l-i-t-e in spots, but I think it's solid start to finish, it flows imo.

RE: Gil Evans "Out of the Cool", this is a really strong LP, do you know the follow up "Into The Hot" which features the Cecil Taylor group? Very un-Gil Evans. But great.

Buck a piece and clean.....

holmes said:
    RE: Gil Evans "Out of the Cool", this is a really strong LP, do you know the follow up "Into The Hot" which features the Cecil Taylor group? Very un-Gil Evans. But great.

Funny......one of my dollar finds today.

• only found one record, a white whale that finally crossed my path, very cool LP

Its from '64 ,features this little grimy ditty....ya think Sky Saxon heard this?

yep, i'm a fan of that Hoyt Axton LP & finally managed to nab one locally for myself last year.

Rockadelic said:
    holmes said:

Funny......one of my dollar finds today.

lol, jinx!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    A buck a pop:

Dutch 90'shiphop:

Dutch funk/boogie grail:

Its a big-time want for many collectors and im happy to pick it up for an euro, but to my ears its a bit too much like Sexual Chocolate.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Here's a few weekend finds and all are original pressings. The Lee Dorsey is the Mono pressing, $10 MINT. The Latimore is MINT also, $5.
    Photobucket
    The Roosevelt Franklin is SEALED, $1 pull.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

• Options
    i'm feel'n frisky...

how is a record MINT, especially if it is opened?...and look at the cover.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    bawls said:
    i'm feel'n frisky...

how is a record MINT, especially if it is opened?...and look at the cover.

The vinyl is MINT, they both look unplayed. Which cover are you referring to? The Lee Dorsey is still in shrink and the Latimore is spotless.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Took a bag of records to my local & 'found' these in exchange for them.

• Options
    I'm just pull'n your leg because, for a second, I thought you were saying that the record smelled like tea or candy.

Photobucket

• leonleon 883 Posts

January finds rounded up, all pretty cheap field finds, except ofcourse the Syl Johnson box.
    First row left-right: Snuffy King trio, Pat Thomas, Super Biton, African Dub 5 (Joe Gibbs).
    2nd row: Boris Vian OST, Sly & Robbie, Eric Dolphy, Stan Getz,
    3rd row: Mazarati SS, Miles w/damaged cover, Miles Porgy n Bess, Soul Condor (Herbolzheimer).
    Especially happy with the Soul Condor LP, which is pretty mint (no tea/candy related). (btw i have the MPS silver cover LP as well, that one is now on offer (PM's accepted ))
    The Gorge Ben albums are all French presses, one of them actually has all Tabua Esmeralda tracks.
    The Horace Silver is VG 1st Lexicon pressing.

a few from yesterday, never got around to getting the first Budos on vinyl until now (I listened to the CD the other day & thought "I really should get the vinyl"). The new Mavis is outstanding, a really solid LP from start to finish.

digging Auger's "IWTTYH"

Liz Spraggins is rare soul. Heart Attack Alley is a great new local band & I grabbed this at their concert last night, cool lo-fi, minimal blues damage with a Gary Davis cover on one side, chilling.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Shop:

Flea market:

Flea market (no idea about any of these (50 cents each)):

• Okem said:
    Took a bag of records to my local & 'found' these in exchange for them.

WOW, that Stan Tracy Quintet is on top of my want list! Nice find!