easy philly rap question

jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
Hey, what was that song from a few years back with some Philly-based Roc-A-Fella b-teamer(s?) rapping over "My Part Of Town"? Some Young Chris jernt, maybe? I wanna say the song was called like "Daytona 500" or something similarly misleading, and I can't remember the exact year, but it's from back when dudes might rap about drinking Armadale, so that should give you a rough timeframe. I don't remember it being a really great cut or anything, but I know I know it and it's driving me nuts. You know how it goes.

Neither here nor there, but I lived in Mechanicsburg for like eleven months when I was a kid, and my first exposure to Philadelphia was seeing a "City Of Brotherly Love" highway sign at night, swissed with various-caliber bullet holes. The first time I actually went to the city proper (on some fourth-grade trip), within the first ninety minutes I got yelled at by a breakdancer for getting too close to his radio, saw my first prostitute, and spent my allowance on a replica of the Constitution printed on some bullshit fake parchment. It was pretty much all downhill after that.

But yeah, thanks in advance to anyone who can help me place that song.

Comments

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I think you talking about a "remix" done by DJ No-Rap, than the DJ for the Philadelphia 76ers.

It was released as a 12" but in a very limited quantity. I know it as "Peedi Crakk - My Part of Town Freestyle". I have found it on some Mixtapes, but not the long 12" version.

Regarding the Daytona 500, I think Peedi had a feature with guys called Indy 500.

Peace

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Hawkeye said:
    I think you talking about a "remix" done by DJ No-Rap, than the DJ for the Philadelphia 76ers.

It was released as a 12" but in a very limited quantity. I know it as "Peedi Crakk - My Part of Town Freestyle". I have found it on some Mixtapes, but not the long 12" version.
    Nah, that's not it; I'd recognize Peedi Peedi. Whoever it was was considerably less distinctive--Young Gunz or somebody like that. All I can remember On The Lyrical Tip??? is that it starts off "Rock on / [something something something something] / Armadale with lemon / Club filled with women..." It strikes me as some mixtape shit, but then again I seem to remember it being a full-length cut, so maybe it came out somewhere, I don't know.

On my mp3 player, it came on right before Slave's "Watching You," if that helps at all.

"City of brotherly love...Don't turn your back on me"

Come on, someone knows this shit.

In a strike of the kind of luck that I never get when it's something important, I actually manged to locate this one on some unmarked cd-r I had rattling around. Turns out that it is in fact Peedi (my memory sucks) doing "Roc On" from DJ E Nyce's Prince Of The Roc mix cd. The file I have has "Indy 500" on it, but I don't know what that's about.

Thanks to Hawkeye for getting closest. Everyone else:

b/w

I STILL LOVE ALL Y'ALL

TO SHOW THERE'S NO HARD FEELINGS, HERE'S A KNOWLEDGE JEWEL:

STEVE PERRY
    STEVEN TYLER
    STEVE STEVENS
    TYLER PERRY

CIPHER COMPLETE.

• While we're talking Philly rap... anybody have a copy of this I could snag?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    HOTSOUP said:
    While we're talking Philly rap... anybody have a copy of this I could snag?

This is great.