iPhone coming to Verizon next month!

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
Fuckin' a.

We've waited and waited, and now Apple and Verizon have made a million dreams come true: the iPhone is coming to Big Red. After talking up his new LTE network a bit, Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam confirmed a CDMA (non-LTE) version of the iPhone 4 is coming to Verizon Wireless next month. Talks started way back in 2008, and the phone has been in testing for a year -- it sounds like they wanted to get this one right. Current Verizon customers will be able to pre-order on Feburary 3rd for the standard $200 price for the 16GB model on a two year agreement, $300 for the 32GB version -- everyone else can order on February 10th (see it compared with AT&T's iPhone 4). Just to clarify and put any wild rumors to bed, the phone is Verizon 3G (EV-DO) only, no 4G data or GSM roaming. It's not a world phone or an AT&T + Verizon phone, it's just a Verizon phone.

http://www.engadget.com/apple/verizon-iphone/

Comments

• Options
    go Verizon!!!

Photobucket

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    My mother works for Verizon and for the past year or two, customers have been angrily yelling at her bc Verizon didn't have the iPhone. I don't think Verizon employees are looking forward to the flood of work to come.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Almond said:
    I don't think Verizon employees are looking forward to the flood of work to come.

poor, poor, employees!

I left Verizon when I realized they'd handicapped the RAZRf0n3. Sounds the same here, no?

• Options
    no need to worry, everything will be alright.

customers and employee, both, might be happy with the benefits they get from the service.
    :happyday:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    I left Verizon when I realized they'd handicapped the RAZRf0n3. Sounds the same here, no?

For starters, you can't use voice and data at the same time .

• i'm all in. verizon iphone + ipad. the one new component of the verizon iphone is the ability for the phone to act as a hotspot for the 3g network. so basically, you can get the ipad and not pay the added monthly fee for data service...so long as your verizon iphone is somewhere close by.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    dukeofdelridge said:

Boooooo!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    You might as well wait for AT&T's counter-offer.

My friend noticed that the page that shows you your early termination fees for AT&T is under maintenance at the moment. Surely this is just an odd coincidence ;)

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I heard that if you have an iphone already with at&t, you can't use it with verizon even when your contract with at&t is up. is this true?

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    edith head said:
    I heard that if you have an iphone already with at&t, you can't use it with verizon even when your contract with at&t is up. is this true?

I'm afraid so. AT&T and Verizon uses two different radio frequencies, so if you switch to Verizon you would have to buy their version of I-Phone.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    just wait for iphone 5, then you'd have to buy a new phone anyways

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    dukeofdelridge said:

LOL

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    dukeofdelridge said:

"Q: Does the Verizon iPhone 4 do anything an AT&T one does not?
    A: Yes.The Verizon iPhone 4 comes with a HotSpot app that lets the iPhone act as a Wi-Fi hot spot, so other devices can access the 3G network through it. However, it's unknown whether this tethering capability will require an extra cost to be used."

Just a note. There are apps for this if your phone is jailbroken. But even if it's not, you can still set this up.

I just tether my iphone to my macbook and then set up wifi hotspot on my mac when needed.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i still have never owned a cell while my father who can barely copy paste picture on his ibook
    just bought an ipad after seeing it at the relatives on xmas

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    DOR said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    dukeofdelridge said:

"Q: Does the Verizon iPhone 4 do anything an AT&T one does not?
    A: Yes.The Verizon iPhone 4 comes with a HotSpot app that lets the iPhone act as a Wi-Fi hot spot, so other devices can access the 3G network through it. However, it's unknown whether this tethering capability will require an extra cost to be used."

Just a note. There are apps for this if your phone is jailbroken. But even if it's not, you can still set this up.

I just tether my iphone to my macbook and then set up wifi hotspot on my mac when needed.

Yup if you jail break your ATT iphone you can download a program that will let you use your iphone as a wifi hotspot. You can also unlock your ATT iphone this will allow for you to use your ATT iphone on any wireless service (just pop in that service providers sim card)....of course Apple and ATT don't want you to know that. This is one of the major reasons that Droids are outselling iphones...open source wins everytime.

• keithvanhorn said:
    i'm all in. verizon iphone + ipad. the one new component of the verizon iphone is the ability for the phone to act as a hotspot for the 3g network. so basically, you can get the ipad and not pay the added monthly fee for data service...so long as your verizon iphone is somewhere close by.

so i ordered the 16 gig iphone last night...at around 4:30 a.m. the sale started at 3am, i set my alarm...it took me 90 minutes to get through the process as the site was not prepared for all the web traffic and kept timing out.

anyway, it only cost me $99 through the 1 phone every 2 years deal...but the wifi hotspot feature is an extra $20 a month which i did not pay for yet. if i end up buying an ipad i guess it would be worth it though.

did anyone else order last night? :holygrail:

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    so anyone jump on the iphone 4 for verizon? how much are you paying?

i'm done with my contract with at&t, but enjoy my iphone. not sure if i want to stay, or switch to verizon's service.
    i have the cheapest rate that i can get with at&t and it's at $105-ish a month. i don't know if living in new york has anything to do with that price. i've used droid phones before and enjoy them - this was through verizon. their response was a lot faster than what i had with at&t. however, i'm accustomed to my iphone user interface and plug & play.

basically i'm looking for a less expensive service and decent reception.

i almost want to wait for the next iphone to drop before i upgrade.

what say yout?

• sweatshop said:

Yup if you jail break your ATT iphone you can download a program that will let you use your iphone as a wifi hotspot. You can also unlock your ATT iphone this will allow for you to use your ATT iphone on any wireless service (just pop in that service providers sim card)....of course Apple and ATT don't want you to know that.
    Except verizon doesnt use sim cards.