Serato with ONE turntable

spoonieteespoonietee 110 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
Anyone do this? I have a bit of extra cash with which I can finally get me a microwave, but space in a college dorm is pretty limited. Is there a setting that makes the use of one turntable possible/practical? Thanks.

Comments

• i've used it a few times in conjunction with live multiple turntable set ups with other dj's and the '57
    you just have the "non-existant" turntable side set to internal, and then bounce everything over with the instant double switch...
    u can cut up "doubles" the same way too, lots of fun.....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I've done it a bunch of times, when the turntable at a show is busted or acting funky. Super easy to do, although not preferred. But if you have space issues then for sure.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    yes. i've been doing it weekly for a while now as one of the spots i play at has been lazy to repair a tt. it takes a little bit of practice in the beginning, but over the course of a set, you'll get used to it. seems like a smart alternative if you're on a budget or have limited space and really want to DJ. nothing beats having both tables working though.

open ssl, click on SETUP, go to the PLAYBACK tab, and then enable the INSTANT DOUBLES under the ON SONG LOAD column. be advised, you will have to be DJing in RELATIVE MODE or INTERNAL MODE in order to execute this.

after engage that, you can play off one turntable. load the track to the side you are playing off of. so if you're starting on your right turntable, that's the side you will be controlling your play in terms of selection of tune, scratching, and mixing. simply put, you will be selecting tunes on the right side, then throwing them over to the left side, rinse and repeat. make sure you're volumes and EQs match. your left virtual tt will be playing in internal mode, so you can only manipulate it using the serato interface on the program or cue points on your keyboard (or assigned buttons on your ttm 57 or midi control).

to initialize instant doubles use COMMAND + ARROW left or right OR drag the file (from your playlist, or the actual mp3 file onto the virtual platter on the screen).

there's prob videos on youtube for this.

• I had to rock doubles upstairs at a certain DC venue for quite a while til I left, some nights it was no biggie, but eventually i just got tired of it.

• Thanks everybody! I'd definitely rather bring both decks down but I don't think it's in the cards, so I'm really glad there's a decent way to do this.