early JanJan finds

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
my hommie hipped me to this auction...a rare edig for me:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300511242772

picked up these sealed recently for a buck each. first one seems to have songs i already got.not sure if i'll be into late game George. the rehearsal and studio stuff on Naked seems the most intriguing...but is it more of interest or actual awesome music. anyone listen to these? ive been listening to the beatles a lot more of late (especially the white album ). i'll probably crack them soon and find out for myself

Comments

• the poli chavez is BRRRRRRRAAEKS related. elusive joint from the great status breaks comp that i think sureshot and supreme put out years ago.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The first of those three is an exactly-what-it-says-on-the-tin compilation of all their UK number ones. Nothing out of the ordinary, but it's handy having 'em all on the one disc.

I know nothing about the Harrison album, I'm afraid. I'd stopped checking for his solo stuff altogether after Thirty Three & 1/3, which was his last solid album for me.

I never bothered with Let It Be...Naked because I'm not a Beatles completist, the original isn't a particular favourite of mine, and I always felt the whole exercise was somewhat self-indulgent on McCartney's part, cornball title and all. There's a Glyn Johns mix of the album floating around the blogs/torrents which is pretty good, though.

A friend of mine used to manage a few record producers, and he told me a funny story about the Let It Be...Naked sessions. The enmity between Yoko and McCartney had flared up again after McCartney began to talk about wanting to change the songwriting credits on certain Beatles songs to "McCartney/Lennon". Yoko was royally pissed about both this and Macca's intention to remix Let It Be, an album that Lennon had always defended in the face of widespread criticism over Spector's contribution, so she decided she was going to fuck with him. She knew that he'd want to use Abbey Road's number two studio to work on the remix, as that was where the Beatles recorded almost everything they did. So what she did was she block-booked studio two for three months, letting it sit idle the whole time, just so McCartney wouldn't be able to get in.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I was hoping for a cover of the Fabulous Counts here.

• The_Non said:
    I was hoping for a cover of the Fabulous Counts here.

• doc, thanks for the scoop and the crazyinfighting stories

non and crabby, check this shit out!!!!
    (on the bed, ready for lovin')

• i keep finding good late 80s and early 90s hip hop at this goodwill. Its not what i am looking for right now but its certainly better than finding nothing. The 45s were cheap and the Tiny Trust's cover of Woody Guthrie's "Pittsburg" is interesting.

• the j.hines is so upbeat and slamming

which goodwill were you talking about?

• Humanacat said:

i keep finding good late 80s and early 90s hip hop at this goodwill. Its not what i am looking for right now but its certainly better than finding nothing. The 45s were cheap and the Tiny Trust's cover of Woody Guthrie's "Pittsburg" is interesting.

Nice finds!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i just had to fart

• BowlsBowls 28 Posts
    A few pickups from the last couple weeks:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pretty Purdie and The Playboys - Stand By Me (Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get)
    Warren James and Friends - Floating On A Dark Wind LP (Waja Records...can't find any info besides the scrawl on the cover, which reads "The pianist on this is Carol Low who plays at Dinnie's Restaurant in Richmond, Ind.)
    Gary Wofsey - Mel (Ambi Records)
    Cornbread, Earl and Me OST

Gentle Thoughts S/T LP
    Chad S/T LP (impossible to Google...recorded in nearby Hendersonville, TN...features a cover of "Kissing My Love")
    Detroit Emeralds - I'm In Love With You
    John Klemmer - Blowin' Gold (green label)

Bo Hansson - Attic Thoughts
    Joe Pass - Guitar Interludes
    Pookah S/T LP
    The Roland Hanna Trio - Child Of Gemini

Ahmad Jamal - Jamalca (had to pick up a third copy on the cheap)
    Asheru and Blue Black of The Unspoken Heard - Soon Come
    Xavier - Point Of Pleasure
    Jacob Magnusson - Special Treatment

• tripledouble said:
    the j.hines is so upbeat and slamming

which goodwill were you talking about?

Outside of Pittsburgh, Holler if your ever passing through

• word. i was just joking on some "give up your spots" shit

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I can finally scratch this off the want list.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    doc, thanks for the scoop and the crazyinfighting stories

non and crabby, check this shit out!!!!
    (on the bed, ready for lovin')

This looks like a BWS find. $8?