Let's talk re-edit!

disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
I know there's people on here doing edits. Kon and Arni Kristjansson are just two that come to my mind. Who else is editing? What's your purpose? Are you just editing out parts you don't like (guitar solos) or do you extend breaks, change sequences, use filters and effects too? Are you doing it for mixtapes, for your own DJing requierements or for releasing it?

So far I have only done light edits for mixtapes to get longer transitions or to extend some favorite parts. Recently I started doing more profound changes to the songs and it's a lot of fun. There's a long list of tracks I never played out because there were always disturbing chord changes or tedious refrains that I want to adjust for my taste.

As I'm really new in this I would be interested what more experienced cats think of it:

Rhyze - Singing And Dancing (Skoluda Edit) by Skoluda

Comments

• my edits usually just consist of extending intros and breaks and taking out corny hooks. i don't mess with tempos or add kick drums & hi-hats too much as that would be getting into re-mix territory.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Pony

• Woimsah said:
    Pony

don't ride the white pony?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Who else is editing? What's your purpose? Are you just editing out parts you don't like (guitar solos) or do you extend breaks, change sequences, use filters and effects too? Are you doing it for mixtapes, for your own DJing requierements or for releasing it?

I've been doing a bunch of them recently, and I'm doing all of the above--extending breaks, adding new drums, re-arranging, all of that, though I tend to go pretty light on the effects and filters and whatnot. I'm mostly doing it so I have things to play when I DJ clubbier events, but also as a way to hopefully re-introduce older songs to younger audiences.

• Nice thread!

Every now and then I do some editing on songs, depends on what the original is like but it could be everything from extending a break-down to a whole new arrangement. I play seventies disco and some eighties boogie out and sometimes I just need to change some parts of a song to make it fit better into my sets.

I keep away from effects and adding new elements to the tracks. Respect to those who can pull it of, but it's not really my thing.

Favourite re-editors: Larry Levan (of course), Walter Gibbons, Shep Pettibone. Must say that Kons latest work (Cerrone, Donny McCullough, S.F.B etcetera) has been really mind-blowing!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    DustedDon said:
    Woimsah said:
    Pony

http://onedaylater.blogspot.com/

• Woimsah said:
    DustedDon said:
    Woimsah said:
    Pony

http://onedaylater.blogspot.com/

U-Terns' edits and creations are so key. The man has a gift.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts

U-Terns' edits and creations are so key. The man has a gift.

RIght. Found some killer edits on dudes soundcloud-account. Other fine edit-artists I enjoyed recently are Onur Engin and DJ Friction. Shouldn't forget the legendary Theo Parrish Ugly-Edits.

• I do a lot of edits, the whiskey barons edits I am usually beefing stuff up with extra drums and percussion of all types, sometimes I get into effects and shit but I tend to keep it light. I almost always add at least a kick, and tend to do a lot of rearranging. The stuff I've been doing with kon is a whole other beast as we've been really going in freaking tons of little details.

Just put this joint up yesterday:

Orchestre Poly-Rythmo - Ne te fache pas (whiskey barons edit) by flavorheard

and there is a bunch more up there too www.soundcloud.com/flavorheard

• thanks for the love.
    gonna check the rhyze edit now...such a great track and cheap !

imo true "organic" edits .. do not have any additives. just re- arranging of whats already there.

anything else, is a remix or a new jam in itself.
    i feel too many people are putting up "edits" on soundcloud... when i can do most of them in serato.

there are no rules, although i think its real easy to fuckk up and disrespect whats already perfect...by adding over the top crap to the music. i dont need to hear certain songs with swooshy noises and massive drum tracks.
    go make a house track if thats what your gonna do.

i do them for every reason, getting rid of parts i dont like... extending parts i love... making them more epic, or dance floor friendly.
    ima big fan of pony aka u tern. the marvin gaye remix of got to give it up, took the song in a whole new direction, changing the mood completely.
    The re touch of ethel beatty he did... is a favorite, made the drums bump... but not pounding, they sound like the ones in the og just enhanced...and he added a few slick twists.

stay tuned.....

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Last weeks podcast on RA by Tiger and Woods is pretty much all edits. It's pretty dope.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/podcast-episode.aspx?id=239

• amphibious said:
    I do a lot of edits, the whiskey barons edits I am usually beefing stuff up with extra drums and percussion of all types, sometimes I get into effects and shit but I tend to keep it light. I almost always add at least a kick, and tend to do a lot of rearranging. The stuff I've been doing with kon is a whole other beast as we've been really going in freaking tons of little details.

this is really nice. the james brown one is a killer though....gonna crush shit !

btw, im not the biggest fan of theos edits.... the whole sloppy on purpose thing in homage of ron hardy...ehhhh, gets ropey for me.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    DJ Code's Time & Place Mix - WAV by davecode

i did most of the edits for this tape, and infact for the last 3 or 4 proper mixes i have done i have done edits, some times to change the structure, sometimes to allow for smoother blends, sometimes to extend breaks. there was a mix i did a while back that i edited all the tracks so there would be almost an entirely different beat made when the 2 tracks were mixing in/out of each other

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    ima big fan of pony aka u tern. the marvin gaye remix of got to give it up, took the song in a whole new direction, changing the mood completely.

Big, big fan of U-Tern/Pony's stuff. I did an iTunes playlist for my girl last summer and put that Marvin re-rub on it, and it blew her mind. I remember she came home from work one evening raving about it - "What's this? It's amazing!" "Oh, it's just one of the guys off Soul Strut" "Oh my God, you're kidding, this is fantastic!", etc., etc.

Special mention in dispatches for his remix of Mark Ronson's Bang Bang Bang, which dripped Shep Pettibone/Darryl Payne/Prelude-circa-'82 goodness by the cupful, and was not only a sureshot at a number of parties I spun at late last year, but was also one of my favourite remixes of 2010.

Bon Vivant said:
    Last weeks podcast on RA by Tiger and Woods is pretty much all edits. It's pretty dope.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/podcast-episode.aspx?id=239

Those guys are good, too. One of the joints they put out last year flipped Evelyn King's I'm In Love beautifully.

• DocMcCoy said:
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:

Big, big fan of U-Tern/Pony's stuff. I did an iTunes playlist for my girl last summer and put that Marvin re-rub on it, and it blew her mind. I remember she came home from work one evening raving about it - "What's this? It's amazing!" "Oh, it's just one of the guys off Soul Strut" "Oh my God, you're kidding, this is fantastic!", etc., etc.

Special mention in dispatches for his remix of Mark Ronson's Bang Bang Bang, which dripped Shep Pettibone/Darryl Payne/Prelude-circa-'82 goodness by the cupful, and was not only a sureshot at a number of parties I spun at late last year, but was also one of my favourite remixes of 2010.

yea, the dub he did 1st is the one i bump... not a fan of marks song.
    also, the homie eli escobar... is spot on with what he does.... a while back i gave him the session for gimme shelter, and he made it into a 1989-90 sounding detroit record. i wouldnt call it an edit, more so a flip of it....sampling and playing og music, taking merry claytons kick ass vocals, and just using a oooooooooo oooo from mick. he told me its dropping on a turntable lab 12".

an edit pet peeve is just taking anything and throwing sing sing and lyn collins over it.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I do lots of edits for my dj sets. I do them to make old songs fit to the new things i play. This means I`m changing arrangements, extending/creating intros & outros and sometimes boosting them with eqs and compression.
    Since some time I??ve started to add new instruments and effects. Those remixes are basically a training ground for proper original productions. Its amazing how much I learned about arrangement and DAWs in general.
    Coincidentally I just finished one of this remixes:

Mystic Merlin Just Can't Give You Up - Mystic Merlin (Gerald Wildenauer Remix) by finelikewine

This one is inspired by an edit I heard DJ Rahaan play out.

RAW_HAMBURGER said:

also, the homie eli escobar... is spot on with what he does.... a while back i gave him the session for gimme shelter, and he made it into a 1989-90 sounding detroit record. i wouldnt call it an edit, more so a flip of it....sampling and playing og music, taking merry claytons kick ass vocals, and just using a oooooooooo oooo from mick. he told me its dropping on a turntable lab 12".

Oh, man, that sounds like a must-cop. I've been messing around with those Rock Band .mogg files of Gimme Shelter while I've been trying to find my way around some new software platforms (anyone care to hit off a poor boy with an Ableton Live crack until I can afford a legit copy?), and wondering if it'd be possible to do something with it that wasn't just gilding the lily. Sounds as if Eli might have done just that.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I agree with Kon that anything beyond simple edits should be called a remix. When I edit, I don't personally add effects, warp the whole track to make it easier to mix, layer different things from other parts or do anything to the track that alters the track massively. The main point is to make creative use of the full parts that are already there to create alternate mixes.

I think the best thing I've done personally is this edit of Con Funk Shun that completely removes the vocal. I think it basically shows that the backing track is so strong that it can stand on its own without any vocals on top. To me that is a good edit, using what's there to accentuate what's good about the original, not trying to better the original with your own musical ideas.

Con Funk Shun - If You're In Need of Love (Arni Kristjansson Re-edit) by arnikristjansson

Nothing against remixes though! Just think the methodology is different.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Great thread!

Todd Terje!!!!!!!!!!

This is one of my favorite edit/remixes EVAR...........

This is nice too...........

• here's some for the strutters:

GAFF EDITS by THE GAFF

as for why, basically, i play a variety of clubs with bass bins, and the fanbase varies constantly, i find playing o.g's are fine IF other people haven't already played big bass music but it they have, there is a big drop, so basically, it's to play what i consider good music but still having some bottom....................there are lots of dj's playing disco right now, so i like to keep it a little funkier, and I tend to double up things to keep it interesting and appeal to the hip hop heads when playing funk

• I agree with some of the guys above in that if you add stuff that wasn't originally in the track than its really a remix, though I feel adding a of echo or delay is fair game.

The reason I personally do (well more so have done) edits is to extend nice tracks that are just too short, or to breath lift into a section of a track that really feels out of place with the rest of the original track.
    On the Harajuku Snap mix I did some years ago (and Raj kindly hosted) a handful of the tracks got very basic re-edit, in most cases to extend short tracks.

I feel the main problem with a lot of the edits getting released at the moment (loads of this stuff still coming out on vinyl,which is great) is that so many of them are editing track that just did not need editing, something classics that have done just fine for years and didn't need the bit in the middle looped up etc. Its almost like edits are a way of trying to justify bootlegging at times.
    That said there are plenty of guys re-editing and releasing some very worthwhile material.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    amphibious said:
    I do a lot of edits, the whiskey barons edits I am usually beefing stuff up with extra drums and percussion of all types, sometimes I get into effects and shit but I tend to keep it light. I almost always add at least a kick, and tend to do a lot of rearranging. The stuff I've been doing with kon is a whole other beast as we've been really going in freaking tons of little details.

At least one U-Tern & Whiskey Barons joint gets played at every gig. Keep doing it.

• definitely do edits, had some released in the past (legit and non-legit), got a new one coming out on the japan only label Black Cow...

not too fussy about the line between "re-edit" and "remix" - to me it feels like a reedit if you're chopping up someone elses tune, and a remix only when you begin adding new parts or playing things over it. and if you're adding effects, its a dub. I do feel that the reeditor / remixer shouldn't get more props than the artist, its just a different way of serving the same dish.

the edit syndrome does lead to an awful lot of unimaginative things in the marketplace (seems some people think its fine just to loop up the intro 8 bars for 3 minutes and then press it to wax - terrible). on the other hand, people like Harvey have mastered the art - check out the Black Cock edits if you don't have them.

if the question is why, well for my own sets primarily, and to share with others, its always cool to have a slightly different version of a really well known track (or "chestnut" as we call them on occasion over here.)

one of my faves - Spinna's remix/reedit of the Jacksons "we're almost there".

• oh, and "tiger and woods" (aka "cleo and patra") are doing some cool edit bizness right about now. some dudes under an alias.

looks like this >

• DustedDon said:
    my edits usually just consist of extending intros and breaks and taking out corny hooks. i don't mess with tempos or add kick drums & hi-hats too much as that would be getting into re-mix territory.

second that. some that might appeal to soul-strutters:

Keep on doin' it (edit) by Neil McMillan

El seneca (edit) by Neil McMillan

Prelude (edit) by Neil McMillan

Born to get down (edit) (warped) by Neil McMillan

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    day said:
    amphibious said:

At least one U-Tern & Whiskey Barons joint gets played at every gig. Keep doing it.

that track and the gyedu are both tracks i thought if only it was edited a bit
    great job guys

• Whiskey Barons are in constant rotation. Also really dig Dimitri From Paris edits.

Here are a couple of mine from my soundcloud

Bohannon - Feel Like Dancin
    Feel Like Dancin' (Meistro's Zoo Road edit) by Meistro

Buari - Iro Le Pa
    Iro Le Pa (Meistro's Zoo Road edit) by Meistro

• Ulysses31nicholas said:
    oh, and "tiger and woods" (aka "cleo and patra") are doing some cool edit bizness right about now. some dudes under an alias.

looks like this >

you missed out pop & eye...

• Ulysses31nicholas said:
    the edit syndrome does lead to an awful lot of unimaginative things in the marketplace (seems some people think its fine just to loop up the intro 8 bars for 3 minutes and then press it to wax - terrible). on the other hand, people like Harvey have mastered the art - check out the Black Cock edits if you don't have them.

as much as i love the black cock edits, weren't a fair few of them remakes of ron hardy and other chicago/house edits that never got put out back in th day...?

as for the lack of imagination with edits, i completely agree. i know someone who seems to be churning out about three or four shit edits per month, with hardly anything added beyond some looped intro's and bad timestretching. that said, they do actually sell... no sure what that says about the record-buying public.