Untangling Perez Prado LPs (discography-R)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
One of the things I picked up at the GM this past week was Perez Prado's Dimsa/Orfeon LP, "El Unico" which I had never come across before. This is credited to the OG Prado (aka Damaso) and sounds like it's from the same era as "'70". And given the tangle of the different Prado brother LPs, I was hoping folks could help fill in the blanks and sort out duplicate albums by different names? (This all pertains to the funkier side of their material)

Here's what I know of so far:

Damaso Perez Prado:

PEREZ PRADO '70 (Orfeon, 1970). Contains: Simplemente Maria - Traces - Guada Guadalupe - Vuelveme A Querer - Perdiendo La Cabeza - Mexico 70 - Amalia Y Tijuana - Los Dos Laredos - La Octava Religion - Los Problemas De Tu Mente - La Mula Blanca
EL UNICO (Dimsa/Orfeon, 1972). Contains: Si Yo Fuera - Musita - La Banda de Sinaloa - San Luis Blues - El Concierto - Mary Esther - Mi Prima Lidia - Emma - Saltando - Tequila (Supposedly, several of these songs are from older Prado LPs; otherwise new. Version of "Tequila" on here is NOT the same that appears on the Pantaleon LPs).
VIVA SANTANA (Raff, 1974. Also on Orbe and Orion). Contains: Viva Santana - Cafe Con Leche - Ben - El Sapo - Brasil 74 - Suave - Elisa - Canuto - Vivir Por Vivir - Mi Guera Linda
LATIN HUSTLE (Orfeon, 1976). Contains: Mambo Hustle - Perdiendo La Cabeza - En El Mar Hustle - Los Problems De Tu Mente - Latin Hustle - Fanny Hustle - Vuelveme A Querer - Nina Hustle - Amalia Y Tijuana - Harlem Hustle (presumably repeats 3 songs from "'70")

A GO GO (Ansonia, 197?). Supposedly contains many of the same songs as "Latin Hustle" but I can't find a tracklisting to confirm.

There's also "Dimension" but I don't have a full tracklisting for this. Supposedly Orfeon 1970?

Pantale??n P??rez Prado:

This is really a fucking mess given that the same songs seem to appear on at least two-three different albums.

ESCANDALO (UniFunk, 1972). Contains: Chicago Banana - Brazil - Tommy - El campesino - Il venditore di noccioline - Escandalo N?? 1 - Escandalo N?? 2 - Cangrejo - Que es lo que pasa? - Smack - Nadie - Tequila

LA ULTIMA NOCHE (UniFunk Italy, 197?). Same tracklisting.
NOW (Contour UK, 1974). Same tracklisting.
S/T (PFP Belgium). Same tracklisting.
LOVE CHILD (Ariola, 1974). Contains: Love Child - Bahia - Chato - Smack - Imperfect - Reaction - Free Time - Cilegi Rosa - Chicago Banana - Carmen - Circle - Drive Car (versions of "Chicago Banana" and "Smack" presumably also on "Escandalo")
CILIEGI ROSA (UniFunk, 1974). Combines songs from both "Escandalo" and "Love Child": Ciliegi Rosa - Chato - Tequila - El Campesino - Brazil - Reaction - Bahia - Imperfect - El Manisero - Circle - Carmen - Que Es Lo Que Pasa?
LOVE CHILD - BRAZIL - TEQUILA - PEANUT VENDOR (Baccarola, 1975). 2xLP that has *all the songs from both* "Love Child" and "Escandalo"*

Pantaleon also has an album from the same era called "Sounds Superb" but I can't find a tracklisting for it.

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Man, O, where to even start.

First off, his VIVA SANTANA album was pressed in just about every single Latin American country, plus in Spain and also in France and Italy. For each release, the track listing and order are slightly changed. Super weird record! As far as I know there were 5-6 different pressing variations of this from Mexico ALONE (all with different covers), 3 from Peru, 2 from Argentina, etc, etc. I can imagine some of his other albums have similarly confusing pressings.

Gotta go brunch with the girl right now, but will post some more later.

I have a press of Viva Santana with 13" vinyl! Shit hangs off the edge of my technics platter. Fucking weird!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Bump.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    -Hey O-
    I think you picked up the Damaso Perez Prado "70" & "Latin Hustle" LPs from me-I also had an extra copy of "Dimension" but somebody bought it. I have another one to throw in the equation. It's a various artists 3 LP thing f/Mexico on the Orfeon label just entitled "Bump"-year is 1975-lots of Prado tracks & very funky. Tracks are below.

Thanx,
    Steve

Tush
    Do It Til You're Satisfied
    Express
    Steppin Out
    TSOP
    Black Water
    Kung Fu Fighting
    Stand By Me
    Another Saturday Night
    Show Me
    Mambo Bump
    Perdiendo La Cabeza
    En El Mar Bump
    Los Problemas De Tu Mente
    Latin Bump
    Fanny Bump
    Vuelveme A Querer
    Nina Bump
    Amalia Y Tijuana
    Harlem Bump
    Baila Bump
    Yeh Yeh Bump
    Mi Nena Baila El Bump
    Mi Adoracion Era Verla
    Africa Bump
    Baila Bump
    Bump En Percussion
    Tu Eres La Primera, La Ultima Y Mi Todo
    Solo Vivo Para Ti

Steve, hit me up if you have another copy of that 3xLP Prado set. It's the only other thing by him I need at this point.

One more that's not in your "Funky Discography":

P??rez Prado - El Rey (DISCOS GAS 4102)

Googling for this LP is nigh impossible! ;)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Steve: I actually didn't get "Latin Hustle" off you; still need it though! And put me in line behind Adam for that 3xLP set.

Adam: What year was that "El Rey" LP (if you know)?

Dude, talk to Fr*nk*. Dude is mildly obsessed with Prado.

• musica said:
    VIVA SANTANA was pressed in just about every single Latin American country, plus in Spain and also in France and Italy. For each release, the track listing and order are slightly changed. Super weird record! As far as I know there were 5-6 different pressing variations of this from Mexico ALONE (all with different covers), 3 from Peru, 2 from Argentina, etc, etc.

LOL!! damn, didn't these people know how difficult they'd be making it for turn-of-the-century collectros!

seriously though, that sounds like a nightmare!