Anti-Raves Act of 2011 (California-R)

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
I thought raves were dead but apparently there is a need to ban them, again. All jokes aside, the wording here is too broad and could be used against anyone hosting a DJ event.

???(a) Any person who conducts a public event at night that includes prerecorded music and lasts more than three and one-half hours is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of ten thousand dollars ($10,000) or twice the actual or estimated gross receipts for the event, whichever is greater.
(b) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to a public event on private
property if the entity that conducts the public event has a business
license to operate a bar, club, theater, entertainment venue, or
other similar business, or to conduct sporting events, and conducting
the public event is consistent with the business license.
(c) For purposes of this section, "night" means that period
between sunset and sunrise.???

full draft of the bill:
http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_0051-0100/ab_74_bill_20101221_introduced.html

edited to show subsections (b) and (c) for clarification

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    California is a shining example of tolerance.

• is 2011 going to be the year that 90's culture gets resurrected?

• There's been a few underage deaths at or after leaving some big raves in LA. I figure this is a knee jerk reaction since parents can't be blamed for letting their kids out at all hours of the night.

I've never been a fan of taking away the rights of many because of the irresponsibility of the few.

Will this actually pass, though?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    It's an incredibly poorly written law that could be read to cover NFL or MLB games.
    ware did u get ur law degree bobbi

• Options
    Brian said:
    BobDesperado said:
    It's an incredibly poorly written law that could be read to cover NFL or MLB games.
    ware did u get ur law degree bobbi

I zeroed out my comment after I read the full text. I made my comment based on the excerpt in the first post.

And I actually have a law degree. "Ware" did you get your English degree?

• crabmongerfunk said:
    is 2011 going to be the year that 90's culture gets resurrected?

It never died

• Will never get passed in its current form....which would make a 4 hour barbecue criminal...even if no alcoholic was served and the music was played at levels that were inaudible.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    It's a tough call. I can appreciate lawmakers' intention to regulate some of these events that, after all, are thrown by people looking to make money -- easy money at that. At least clubs and concert venues have to have some safety checks. I have been to so many parties that were death traps -- standing water, bathrooms that didn't work, faucets that didn't function, rigged electricity boxes, everyone in the party had to go up to the fourth floor of some sketchy warehouse on a busted freight elevator, etc. Granted, by the grace of god -- there by the grace of god, house fans are you with me! -- no one got killed as far as I know. But the promoters certainly cut any corner that was to be cut. I had a good time but I know it could have ended badly.

keithvanhorn said:
    Will never get passed in its current form....which would make a 4 hour barbecue criminal...even if no alcoholic was served and the music was played at levels that were inaudible.

Yeah, but obviously, the "prerecorded music" stuff is laughable. Brittney Spears could get sent to prison, had her concert actually gone on beyond an hour or so.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    white_tea said:
    It's a tough call. I can appreciate lawmakers' intention to regulate some of these events that, after all, are thrown by people looking to make money -- easy money at that. At least clubs and concert venues have to have some safety checks. I have been to so many parties that were death traps -- standing water, bathrooms that didn't work, faucets that didn't function, rigged electricity boxes, everyone in the party had to go up to the fourth floor of some sketchy warehouse on a busted freight elevator, etc. Granted, by the grace of god -- there by the grace of god, house fans are you with me! -- no one got killed as far as I know. But the promoters certainly cut any corner that was to be cut. I had a good time but I know it could have ended badly.

There are laws in place already to deal with those types of problems. Any Fire Marshall could go in and shutdown a venue for those violations. Banning events with "prerecorded music" is going to far though.

billbradley said:
    white_tea said:

There are laws in place already to deal with those types of problems. Any Fire Marshall could go in and shutdown a venue for those violations. Banning events with "prerecorded music" is going to far though.

Agreed.

• white_tea said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    Will never get passed in its current form....which would make a 4 hour barbecue criminal...even if no alcoholic was served and the music was played at levels that were inaudible.

Yeah, but obviously, the "prerecorded music" stuff is laughable. Brittney Spears could get sent to prison, had her concert actually gone on beyond an hour or so.

No.

Read the exemptions under the second paragraph.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    We've had an anti rave law in the UK since the mid 90s. Specifically outlawing gatherings in which "???music??? includes sounds wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats.".

More recently it was used by police to shut down a birthday barbecue held on legal property for 15 people.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:

Not sure that a bbq is a "public event" (alot of them also happen during the day, not at night), but I agree that it's too broad, or at least appears to be from the excerpt.

This reminds of the Rave Act in England. No repetitive beats allowed. Authechre even did an EP on Warp without "repetitive beats" so it could be played "legally". Maybe raves in Cali will go "live".

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    California is the state for feel-good ban laws. If it's good for the children, it's worth it.