Coming from the Big East-Snow Edition

Comments

• This shit is dangerous because we're basically trapped in here right now. Impassible until a plow comes through and a half mile walk through drifting snow to get to a "major" road, which - if the last big storm is a clue - is probably still not plowed. A lot of the municipalities around here are not prepared for storms like this.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    cove said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    i dont understand how people live like this.

Seriously..... I'd much rather live on a fault line....

are you being sarcastic?

massively

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• behemoth said:

holy...

• we got no snow in toronto, yet my parents got snow in atlanta?

what the HELL is going on here?

• DOR said:
    >snip

One of the most incredible sights in Japan is the Yuki-no-Otani, or Great Snow Valley, on the Kurobe-Tateyama Alpine Route in Toyama Prefecture. The snow piles up to 19 metres deep here. Even in June (when I was there), the snow is WAY overhead

now thats some snow...but Canada aint got shit on that....

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Cabin fever like woah right now. The lady stayed back for a couple of extra days with her family after Christmas, so I've been kicking it solo. My apartment has never been so clean.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Sent the employee home about 4:30 yesterday, considering keeping the shop closed today - what's the word on the ground?

I am supposed to fly back into JFK about 1 a.m. Tonight/tomorrow... If they open the airport at all.

Fusk this

Thank you for not closing the shop up today. My friend from Oakland who is in NYC for the holidays went through there an hour ago and bought a bunch of things to bring back for me!

:beerbang:

• DB_Cooper said:
    Cabin fever like woah right now. The lady stayed back for a couple of extra days with her family after Christmas, so I've been kicking it solo. My apartment has never been so clean.

I'd come chill for MNFootball (no TV related) but going to Queens seems as easy as going to Boston, homie.

• Options
    My city (Quincy, MA) made the CBS national news tonight due to flooding. Yee hah!

I spent about 7 hours shoveling today (3 different houses) and this was thick, evil shit. It came up in solid chunks and at times it was like cutting through styrofoam. I'm gonna be post carwreck sore tomorrow.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I'm in dc and there is no snow. So lucky!

• DOR said:

driving on the wrong side of the road?

• My flight to NYC the 28th is cancelled. Next available flight is 31st. Shit!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    My city (Quincy, MA) made the CBS national news tonight due to flooding. Yee hah!

I spent about 7 hours shoveling today (3 different houses) and this was thick, evil shit. It came up in solid chunks and at times it was like cutting through styrofoam. I'm gonna be post carwreck sore tomorrow.

Hey Bob,

I hear you man. I had to go out again yesterday morning (after shoveing the previous afternoon, and again early morning so wifey could get out to work) to shovel the driveway, front walk to the crib, and the sidewalks. I shoveled for 2.5 hours, with minimal breaks, and my back is feeling every shovel load. It's time to soak in the jacuzzi with a drank.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Big_Stacks said:
    BobDesperado said:

Hey Bob,

I hear you man. I had to go out again yesterday morning (after shoveing the previous afternoon, and again early morning so wifey could get out to work) to shovel the driveway, front walk to the crib, and the sidewalks. I shoveled for 2.5 hours, with minimal breaks, and my back is feeling every shovel load. It's time to soak in the jacuzzi with a drank.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

The wife and I were out for a few hours yesterday, digging out the cars and the front walk. It doesn't matter though since we got up this morning and the snowplows still haven't been by. Still trapped after 48 hours.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    man, i was hoping i would get lucky as my flight was scheduled to leave today. in my foolish mind, i figured that with the snow no longer falling and 24hrs for the Newark airport to get a chance to work things through, my flight would be on. SIKE!! looks like i am in Houston for at least another day if not two.

but on the cool, i recognize the whole challenge this creates for the airline industry, but these dudes at Continental don't have ANY way of getting information. Nothing on their website and the phone number they provide just says they aren't taking calls as a result of the high level of calls from the storm. c'mon son. i am not looking for all the answers, but give me at least a clue as to when i might be getting out of here.

at least its warmer here in Houston.

• I live near four train lines 3 of which are not running at all and the fourth is running with hour delays. Busses are stuck for the second day in a row with passengers on em, etc. It's a total mess and I'm not impressed with the way The All Knowing Father Michael Bloomberg has handled this.

• My friend is wondering if she should drive back to NYC - is driving possible as of today?

She would have her three-year-old and a bunch of luggage, presents etc in the in the car, so it would really suck to get stuck somewhere.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Well, it's still a shitshow outside, at least in Fort Greene and Downtown Brooklyn.

I was hoping to catch the Q to Union Square to do a little wine shopping but I really don't want to be stuck inside a train for several hours.

• damn man, we did get a small amount of snow lastnight and from the snow we had the other day i believe we are at a grand total of 1.5inches of snow...lol

it is 23??F/-5??C here right now, i honestly thought we were going to get slammed by most of the weather people on the eastcoast have been getting...guess not.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    jeebus...

finally got a hold of someone at the Airline (continental). the EARLIEST we could get back to either Newark or LGA was on the 2nd. that means that our flight that was originally scheduled to leave today on the 28th has been backed up 6 DAYS because of 3 Days of snow and crap. i know that's just how it is, but man that sucks for a lot of people. On top of that, right now our best alternative is to go with flying into BWI and catching the Amtrak so we can arrive before next week.

thankfully i can work remotely and my work is cool with that, but that would be horrible for any person that wasn't afforded that luxury.

these airline companies work too close to the margins though. sad that driving halfway across the country is actually a viable alternative to getting on a new flight.

• Stuck in Indianapolis until Thursday, was supposed to have left on Sunday. Thankfully we can stay with my wife's family, and I'm happy I'm not in Brooklyn shoveling snow. Stay sane fellow travelers.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    Stuck in Indianapolis until Thursday, was supposed to have left on Sunday. Thankfully we can stay with my wife's family, and I'm happy I'm not in Brooklyn shoveling snow. Stay sane fellow travelers.

My brother flew out of LGA on one of the last flights that took off Sunday morning.

He said an Airline worker told him the cancellations were more about a recent Federal(Department Of Transportation) ruling that restricts an airline from holding anyone on a plane and/or tarmac for more than 3 hours than it has to do with the ability to take off or land a plane??

• I know there was a DOT law enacted after the Jet Blue debacle a few years ago when they stuck passangers on a tarmac for ten hours or so, but I have no idea how that rule would affect the snow storm cancellations. I heard the problem was not so much the snow as it was the winds. La Guardia cancelled 500 flights or more in the last two days.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    I know there was a DOT law enacted after the Jet Blue debacle a few years ago when they stuck passangers on a tarmac for ten hours or so, but I have no idea how that rule would affect the snow storm cancellations. I heard the problem was not so much the snow as it was the winds. La Guardia cancelled 500 flights or more in the last two days.

yeah...i have to think that the real issue (aside from the actual weather and getting the airports cleaned up) is that all airlines have dropped the # of flights over the past few years in an attempt to cut costs.

no fault (really) but it seems like for years the airlines worked so close to the revenue margins by dropping flight prices, and as a result they were always in the red. Now, airlines have cut costs by dropping the number of planes and have increased revenue by adding new revenue streams (bags, food, etc). So while they may be in the "black" now, they are less capable to deal with big weather/delay issues like this anymore.

in short i see it as, where as in the past the kept their profit margins so low (while still maintaining capacity) now they have better profit margins, but their capacity margins are lower.

that operating model is hardly specific to the airline industry only, but it sure as shit gets more bad publicity as a result of that model.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The consequence under this new rule, airlines would have to pay $27,500 for each passenger stuck for more than three hours on the tarmac......I can see how this would discourage Airlines from loading up planes that may indeed need more than 3 hours to take off due to de-icing, plowing, traffic, etc.

• A lot of this is just fucked up logistics, bureaucracy and assholes who don't feel like helping anyone.

I called my airline at 8 am before the snow even started falling, asking to rebook. They told me that since my flight wasn't canceled, I should just sit tight because I would probably be fine, and they were focusing on flights that had already been canceled. I could buy another ticket. A day later, they cant get me on a flight because they have oversold and overbooked. I could buy a ticket but even then, I was told that would be basically like flying standby because even as tickets continued to sell the flights were already full.

Again, I tried calling first thing in the morning and Delta was not answering their phones "due to inclement weather". Give me a break.

Being proactive, a rewards member and frequent flier got me nothing. I could've bought a "maybe" ticket for $1700.

• Yeah, the lack of capacity is a motherfucker. I got offered a bunch of connecting flights, but they were all to out of the way cities involving 4 hour layovers, and who knows if any of the connections would get canceled. Apart from that there are two direct flights to NY a day, and we got on the next available. Which I guess is fine, its not like I'm dying to get back to work or anything.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    The consequence under this new rule, airlines would have to pay $27,500 for each passenger stuck for more than three hours on the tarmac......I can see how this would discourage Airlines from loading up planes that may indeed need more than 3 hours to take off due to de-icing, plowing, traffic, etc.

Rock, while i suspect the new rule has some impact, even in good weather conditions the Airlines have dropped capacity greatly from a few years ago. For the most part, this has been an astute call as they are saving tons of money this way, but it does prevent them from dealing with any immediate need to increase capacity.

And while one could fairly argue the appropriate dollar value of the fine for breaking the new rules, i don't think most people are against the underlying concept of making sure passengers don't get stuck on planes in the tarmac for longer than 3 hours at a time. that seems like a pretty fair customer relations issue.

• Rockadelic said:

Personally I would rather they do the 3 hour prep while at the gate and we are on the terminal, than to wait 3 hours in the plane on the tarmac. I'm also glad they canceled my flight instead of me going to the airport, getting delayed over and over only to be canceled. I've been both stuck on the tarmac for hours and had a flight canceled after hours in the airport, both fates worse than tooth extractions.

But I also feel what Jonny said. I'm flying AirTran and the guy on the phone wasn't even cordial. I know those operators are getting shit on by people when things are beyond their control, but at least don't bullshit me nor sound irate.