R.I.P. James Brown

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
while it sucks that JB died 4 years ago on Christmas Day, being the showman that he was, passing away on the biggest holiday of the year meant that we would never forget that day, and remember him every year. so give up some love for the amazing Mr. Dynamite, the hardest working man in show business, the amazing Mr. Please Please Please himself, the true Minister of the New New Super Heavy Funk, JAMES BROWN:

Comments

• Or four years ago.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    happy James Brown day everyone RIP to the greatest!

• and here only a few months before i turned up seeing him here in halifax.........gutted!

RIP

its a james brown christmas!

• God, that Payback/Hell/I>-era band was such a meeeeeeean motherfucker.

• RIP to the true one-and-only Greatest Of All Time.

merry James Brown day y'all!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Gotta be the most influential musician of the 20th Century!!!

• Just had a James Brown tribute night in my hometown, Brighton last weekend ...I have had one at my house for the last three years but decided to put it out to the people, my man DJ Format came & rocked ...it was a great night.

First JB album I got was when I was a little wanna be Mod when I was thirteen in 1983, it was James Brown's - Soul Classics (Italian press, odd as I got it new from a local record shop in the UK) the only reason I bought it was because I had read his name in a book called 'Mods!' I had at the time:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mods-Richard-Barnes/dp/0859651738/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293420440&sr=8-1

Funny thing is my uncle who I Iooked up to at the time was a mod in the 60's, he came round that Christmas & I was pretty excited to show him my new record's ( think I had bought The Who - My Generation LP at the same time) when I showed it to him I remember him saying "James Brown, not that dosser" (dosser means tramp in the UK) I remember being pretty cut up by that remark at the time ....I was thirteen years old.

Never seen my uncle in the same light since then & can only assume looking back it was a thinly veiled racist remark.

Anyway back on point, little did I know one year later my head & world would be blown apart when I first really heard Hip Hop & with a lot further knowledge realised The Godfather was still there.

So I just feel he is a massive part of my life & can't imagine it without his music in it. I could personally listen to JB & affiliated artists all day everyday including all the real early Famous Flames stuff not just the heavy funk.

As you can imagine that book & record still hold a very prized place in my collection.

Since he passed I have swapped december the 25th of December from JC day to JB day, much to my old mums annoyance.

So anyway R.I.P to the best to ever do it full stop, ..thanks for giving me an avenue to vent my love for the man & his music SoulOnIce.

My favourite JB clip's,

Part two is insane(er)

The three DVD set of this is incredible if you haven't seen it, full concert, documentary & Live at the Apollo TV special the best JB footage I have ever seen, sound is great on the Boston concert, worth every penny & then some in my book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Got-Feelin-James-Brown-Region/dp/B001AZI26I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293422468&sr=8-1