True Grit

2»

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    motown67 said:
    It's not just the dialogue is the same between the two movies even the sets are the same. Take a look at the part where the girl walks in on Rooster when he's asleep in the backroom of the Chinese shop. The bed is similar between the two movies.
    It looks like Damon was doing his best Glen Campbell impression as well.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i loved this movie

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    movie sucked...
    i dont recomend this for anyone between the ages of 12 to 70...
    too 'disney'....
    i thought it would be hardcore , closer to 'no country' style....

• for real! where were the fuckin car crashes and mexicans with automatics!!! boooooooooo

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• crabmongerfunk said:
    was surprised to find that screener copies are already up on the torrent sites.

We also have horseless carriages. Man how times change.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    prof_rockwell said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    was surprised to find that screener copies are already up on the torrent sites.

We also have horseless carriages. Man how times change.

"Moon Pie. What a time to be alive!"

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    for real! where were the fuckin car crashes and mexicans with automatics!!! boooooooooo

Hahahahaha I nearly spat out my coffee reading this

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    not only can't i wait to see this
    but this thread is hilarious in many ways

• So was that JK Simmons as the voice of Mattie's lawyer?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Saw it. Liked it. Want to see it again.

I am surprised to see all the love and so little hate here. Just not the Soulstrut style. That said I wish it was more like serious man. Where were all the existential mathematical problems?

My sister did not like it. 1) Was too much of a straight forward western, not enough of a weird Coen Bros. 2) continuity problems. According to her, when Matty and Blackie emerged from fording the river (please don't cry Tony) they were not wet. Did anyone else notice that?

IF I had complaints they would be; Cogburn did not die after delivering Matty to saftey. Theatricly this would have been the best out come. Better yet, having Cogburn collapse as he delivers Matty and never knowing if either lived or died would have been a perfect Coen Bros ending.

Also, the music was less than great. It seemed to shift between grand orchestrations that sounded like they were lifted from Randy Newmans trash can and sentimental American ditties clipped from a Ken Burns documentary.

In case you missed it, I liked the movie.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    CherChezLaPLAN said:
    So was that JK Simmons as the voice of Mattie's lawyer?

That was the first thing I tried to look up after seeing True Grit. I haven't read anything that officially confirms it but I wouldn't be surprised if it was him, he was probably the best thing about Burn After Reading and I could see him working with the Coens again. I think Simmons is great, but he'll always be Vern Schillinger to me.

• LaserWolf said:
    According to her, when Matty and Blackie emerged from fording the river (please don't cry Tony) they were not wet. Did anyone else notice that?

yes.

rootlesscosmo said:
    LaserWolf said:
    According to her, when Matty and Blackie emerged from fording the river (please don't cry Tony) they were not wet. Did anyone else notice that?

yes.

Is that the Coen's nod to Ed Wood. Or to Hollywood Westerns? Or a mistake?

I wonder if that scene is the same in the 1969 version. Maybe a nod to that.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    They were taken across the river by the dude she throws an apple at.

• Okem said:

uhhh you missed the whole sequence where she and the horse jump in the river and ford across? it was kinda major.

• white_tea said:
    GenePontecorvo said:
    tripledouble said:

i misted up at the river scene.

So many great lines but "That's okay, keep your seat, Trash" might've been my favorite.

What was that all about? Just a general distaste for the man and/or his lifestyle?

Naw, B. She was admonishing that man for not being a gentleman and standing in the presence of a lady being introduced, like his friend did. She was gonna let him know what she thought about it, which fit right with the character, I thought.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    LaserWolf said:

yes.

I also noticed this and it bothered me a lot.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Okem said:

uhhh you missed the whole sequence where she and the horse jump in the river and ford across? it was kinda major.
    Doh. Late night haze posting, didn't read the post properly.

white_tea said:
    GenePontecorvo said:
    tripledouble said:

i misted up at the river scene.

So many great lines but "That's okay, keep your seat, Trash" might've been my favorite.

What was that all about? Just a general distaste for the man and/or his lifestyle?

I finally saw it last night. The action scenes were definitely my favorite -- the way they filmed Rooster and the girl staking out the shack at night and how the posse rode up quietly on horses was so cool, and you knew something would be up later, in the morning deep in Indian territory and after the ranger left, that it would get serious, especially after they show the girl walking down to the river. And, yet, it didn't make it any less intense when the scene developed. HOWEVER, it depressed me that this gorgeous young lady turned into such a sour, wooden and ordinary older woman. That was a bit of a downer at the end.

Why did Mattie say "Keep your seat, Trash."?
    I researched that question 2 years ago when it was posted. But never posted an answer.
    Since then I have seen the movie many times and have read the book. Can't recommend the book enough.

First let's talk about Quantrill's Raiders.
    Some of the mumbled dialogue that gets missed is LaBoufe and Cogburn arguing about where they served during the Civil War. The Ranger served in the Army of Northern Virginia ("and I can hold my head up when I say that"*).
    Cogburn served with General ("General?") Quantrill.
    William Clarke Quantrill and his raiders fought along the Missouri-Kansas boarder and were guilty of what we would call war crimes and terrorism today.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantrill's_Raiders
    Thus LeBeoufe chides him for not serving honorably.

Another member of Quantrill's Raiders (in real life) was Frank James.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_James
    It is to Frank James that Mattie says "keep your seat, trash".
    She disliked James, not just because he was a famous outlaw and murderer who didn't stand or take off his hat when she approached.
    She also dislike him because he never served time for any of his crimes, always managing to gain acquittals or otherwise weaseling out.
    The man she did talk to was Cole Younger.
    Younger admitted to murder and served time, paying his debt to society.
    some believed that Younger served time for a murder that James committed.

In the book she does not turn into a "sour, wooden and ordinary older woman".
    She is a woman who owns a bank, and is boss to her male employees and has money and power despite being unmarried.
    An extraordinary accomplishment for the time.

______

I have come to believe that the continuity mistakes in the movie are on purpose and a nod to the Hollywood Western.

*Approx quote.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Million Dead Cops