Stolen MSN Account... (LAME related)

BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
So... somehow, someone has stolen my hotmail account. I tried to log in yesterday and my password was wrong. This would happen from time to time before, so I thought nothing of it... figured it was an msn screw up. Went to reset my password through the secret question/answer method, and it's not available for my account anymore. This means the person removed my personal info and my secret question. I cannot use my MSN messenger account now. They also used my account to get my livejournal password, and I'm locked out of that site as well.

This is really fucking lame.

I have no idea who would do this. I'm careful with my passwords and it's not the same password I use on most sites...

Basically I have no way of retrieving the hotmail account. Which means I have no way of retrieving the livejournal account.

I've changed my passwords for the remaining sites I care about, so they can't get access to any more of my shit on various sites.

Just posting out of utter frustration. It's not like I can call up microsoft and just be like "Yo! It's really me! NO! Really!! It's ME!! Just reset my password for me pleeeeaaaaase!!??"

If anyone[/b] has any[/b] experience with this or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Comments

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Dude!!

Sounds like a keystroke logger. (Records every key pressed on your keyboard and then emails it all to some son of a mongolian hacker foll in an out-house somewhere way out west in old mexico). They open it and see www.hotmail.com(enter)your_username@hotmail.com(enter)$0ul$trut(enter)[/b].

So if you try and change any passwords, they could soon know about that too.

It might not be this, but it sounds pretty possible. You got any firewall software?

Get some tip of the top virus software and run the shit out of it.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    [Question] Are you using a PC? [/Answer]

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I've changed my passwords for the remaining sites I care about, so they can't get access to any more of my shit on various sites.

Get onto a different computer and change them all again just in case it is a keystoke logger thats on yours.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Sounds like I'm not the only one today with a PC gripe!

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    It might not be this, but it sounds pretty possible. You got any firewall software?

Get some tip of the top virus software and run the shit out of it.

No spyware or viruses running on my system. I just did a thorough scan with both ad-aware, and SpyBot to check for spyware/trojan shite. Also no viruses.

I run through a local LAN router, with a firewall, and I am running XP SP2 with the Internet Firewall on.

I've sent a customer service ticket to msn support, there was even an option under type of problem called "Hacked Accounts" - I said that I could provide detailed information about my emails and contacts. I'm not holding my breath for them to respond though...

technical and customer support for a free service as large as msn is

After thinking about it a lot more... I'm beginning to suspect that someone must have hacked a message board that I'm on (I have accounts on quite a few) and got my hotmail account from there. They'd see my hotmail email address, and there were a few sites that used the same password as my hotmail.

I'm basically expecting the worst - that I'm just going to have to start a new hotmail account, and a new livejournal. Just susks because I've had [email]kyletallon@hotmail.com[/email] for like 8 years. Most people that I have minimal contact with only know that email address, as it's always been constant, and easy to remember. So now I gotta get my new one out there... fuck.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    If you're running windows...

Start->Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt

Then type 'netstat' and it will show you a list of what ports you have open.

If you type 'netstat /a' it will show you ALL ports that you have open on your computer which can be somewhat lengthy. DO NOT post the results from the netstat anywere on here or the internet. But look around and see if there are any suspicious connections. If you see something that looks odd you can do an IP trace back and see where the signal is originating.

Other than running virus checks you should be ok.

People sometimes hack into other peoples accounts just cause you may have a cool name. My friend did that for his AOL screen name. I see it as pointless...but oh well..

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Did you use the same password on there as you did on here? Maybe RAJ 0wns it now.