blue note s , what s good?

2»

Comments

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    damms said:
    InnerSpace said:
    Jackie Mclean's stuff from that era.....
    listening to Right Now! (1965) atm
    Jacknife is even better

• No reccomendations for Art Blakey? Some of the best Blue Note sessions evar. Since it seems the taste of this thread is leaning towards the "kinda out" vibe, I have to suggest "Free for all"...Art never really got down like this again...Shorter bites some Trane, but still kills...the title track, Hubbard's "Hammer Head", great stuff...probably my fave Blue Note.

• Kind of surprised no one has mentioned Blakey's Mosaic. Pretty straight forward session but it's a perfect disc for me. Shorter and Hubbard in topform and Blakey knocking the life out of his kit.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Bump w. two more rideables:

Unfadeable straight jazz; I've played this almost constantly this week.

'72 modal/spiritual jazz perfection. I imagine all my favorite painters were listening to this when they made their favorite paintings.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

listened to this one today. not essential but a good album

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    GenePontecorvo said:

:comedy_gold:

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    another very good Horace Silver on Blue Note

• Joe Henderson's "Mode For Joe" blew my mind years ago. I had it on cassette and in those days was a walking messenger for a law firm. i'd play that tape over and over. Awesome.

the only Blue Note's I don't care for of that era are Stanley Turrentine stuff. He strikes me as a bit boring and straightm even though he had some great names in his recording dates.

Jackie McClean (anything)
    Joe Henderson (anything)
    Eric Dolphy "Out To Lunch"
    Sonny Clark (anything)

as others have said, you basically can't go wrong buying damn near anything

• Kenny Dorham "Trompetta Tocata"
    "Una Mas"

• "Involution" is essential
    Attached files #2.jpg" style="max-width:300px" />

Attached files

• ."Soul Station" may be earlier than what you're after, but it sure sounds great on christmas morning...preferably with snow.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    beatstew72 said:
    Joe Henderson's "Mode For Joe" blew my mind years ago. I had it on cassette and in those days was a walking messenger for a law firm. i'd play that tape over and over. Awesome.

the only Blue Note's I don't care for of that era are Stanley Turrentine stuff. He strikes me as a bit boring and straightm even though he had some great names in his recording dates.

Joe Henderson (anything)
    Sonny Clark (anything)

Sonny Clark albums are more boring to me than Stanley Turrentine's (but I only listened to his albums on CTI don't think I have checked any of his Blue Note stuff yet). I couldn't listen to Cool Struttin' (even though it's apparently considered a classic) and a couple others by Clark. way too slow and unengaging. but it's just me

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    damms said:
    beatstew72 said:
    Joe Henderson's "Mode For Joe" blew my mind years ago. I had it on cassette and in those days was a walking messenger for a law firm. i'd play that tape over and over. Awesome.

Joe Henderson (anything)
    Sonny Clark (anything)

Sonny Clark albums are more boring to me than Stanley Turrentine's (but I only listened to his albums on CTI don't think I have checked any of his Blue Note stuff yet). I couldn't listen to Cool Struttin' (even though it's apparently considered a classic) and a couple others by Clark. way too slow and unengaging. but it's just me

Sonny Clark is great--I don't think there's a dud amongst the very small number of sessions he led before passing away.

And are you really judging Stanley Turrentine's Blue Note work based on his CTI recordings?

Turrentine can be decent. His earliest albums on Blue Note are good, but his output was quickly ruined by his wife's godawful organ playing.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    damms said:
    beatstew72 said:

Joe Henderson (anything)
    Sonny Clark (anything)

Sonny Clark is great--I don't think there's a dud amongst the very small number of sessions he led before passing away.

And are you really judging Stanley Turrentine's Blue Note work based on his CTI recordings?

Turrentine can be decent. His earliest albums on Blue Note are good, but his output was quickly ruined by his wife's godawful organ playing.

The Sonny Clark records are definitive Blue Note style Hard Bop.

The Stanley Turrentine Blue Note albums are also excellent, and Blue Hour is a classic. His best record is his one on Time, though (with Sonny Clark).

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    faux_rillz said:
    damms said:
    beatstew72 said:

Joe Henderson (anything)
    Sonny Clark (anything)

The Sonny Clark records are definitive Blue Note style Hard Bop.

The Stanley Turrentine Blue Note albums are also excellent, and Blue Hour is a classic. His best record is his one on Time, though (with Sonny Clark).

The Tommy Turrentine LP on TIME is also very good.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    faux_rillz said:

yeah I know. I'll come back after having listened to some of his Blue Note material

• If we picking up this discussion again, then I have a few more suggestions that are sort of obscure but are worth noting:

Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique (Japanese King)
    Tyrone Washington - Natural Essence
    Andrew Hill - Passing Ships (CD only)