Songs with no bad covers of them

2»

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    Footprints on the Moon

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    aint no sushine
    fever (could be wrong with this one, but i have a terrible memory)
    spanish grease

• mighty ryeders evil vibrations
    bill withers - use me

• "Hey Joe" and "Comin' Home Baby" are very difficult to ruin. Someone may have succeeded in doing so but it must have taken a lot of effort.

• Sunny (Bobby Hebb) - not saying there are no bad versions, but you've got to be a bit of a fuck up to make this song sound bad.

California Dreaming?

• open up the door to your heart

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Slippin into darkness covers never dissapoint me, in fact will make me buy that without checking first.

Also
    (i wanna) thank you (4 lettin me be ...) never seems to fail.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

and it's not even over
    but it's hard to ruin this tune

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I can't see any of the YouTubes, but I started a thread on this same topic a while back inspired by never hearing a bad version of Message From a Black Man.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Sing A Simple Song. You would have to be musically inept to screw this one up.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    stratasphere said:

there are a lot of lackluster versions of this song. It's actually very easy to screw up because groups don't come with the energy of the original.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    motown67 said:
    stratasphere said:

there are a lot of lackluster versions of this song. It's actually very easy to screw up because groups don't come with the energy of the original.

Yes. I'm sure there are some sucky covers that I haven't heard yet. I recently found a quad copy of Sly And The Family Stone's Greatest Hits and the mix of that song was

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    tokyobeats said:
    mighty ryeders evil vibrations
    bill withers - use me

How many covers of Evil Vibrations are there? I only know of one.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Black magic woman

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    "Have Love Will Travel" is pretty solid too though I think there's probably a few lackluster covers of people trying to hard to out garage the Sonics. That said, nothing really *bad* comes to mind.

I don't know if they ever recorded it, but I saw the Black Lips do a horrendous version at Lollapalooza a few summers back...
    knowing the Black Lips they probably just stole the riff/music/melody & sang new words over the top & called it an original. lol

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    paul_funyun said:
    open up the door to your heart
    how many covers are there of this though? I can only think of 2 (JJ Barnes, Little Milton) I must be missing some....

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Mercy Mercy Mercy

Love the song.
    If a school band record has it I buy it.

The original (is the live CAQ the original?) is so great. Other versions should disappoint because they can't stack up. Still Zawinal's song is so good it stands up to lots of abuse.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Damn, a lot of tunes here have got to have weak/bad/shitty covers simply due to the numbers involved (even if I haven't heard the crap versions).

If the number of covers hits (or gets too close to) double digits you can pretty much assume there are bad versions.

"Can't Hide Love" might be the rule-breaker but I haven't listened to all of those yet (and Najee's album cover alone is begging me to say its not).

• I GET LIFTED

• holmes said:
    pickwick33 said:
    "Have Love Will Travel" is pretty solid too though I think there's probably a few lackluster covers of people trying to hard to out garage the Sonics. That said, nothing really *bad* comes to mind.

I don't know if they ever recorded it, but I saw the Black Lips do a horrendous version at Lollapalooza a few summers back...
    knowing the Black Lips they probably just stole the riff/music/melody & sang new words over the top & called it an original. lol

CORRECTION: it wasn't the Black Lips, it was the Black Keys. But they very clearly did "Have Love...".

I mainly remember it because I had just seen Big Sandy & Los Straitjackets do the same song live, earlier that week. A friend of mine turned to me and said exactly what Hook-Up said, that he'd never heard a bad version. If I hadn't seen the Black Keys that Friday, I would agree with him today.

• paul_funyun - 14 December 2010 05:53 AM

how many covers are there of this though? I can only think of 2 (JJ Barnes, Little Milton) I must be missing some....

theres a nice one by freddie scott and even gregory isaacs covered it. this thred isnt for the song with the most covers, just no bad covers right? thats why i give it up to "open up the door" its a beautiful song with no bad cover versions.

• paul_funyun - 14 December 2010 05:53 AM

theres a nice one by freddie scott and even gregory isaacs covered it. this thread isnt for the song with the most covers, just no bad covers right? thats why i give it up to "open up the door" its a beautiful song with no bad cover versions.