CAMERA-STRUT

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Ok, my girl wants a camera for a graduation present and both her and I don't know shit about them. Here's my criteria:

- Under $1k
- Semi-easy to use
- Decent resale value so I can pawn it off after she decides she's not into photography anymore

I know this is the camera version of RECOMMEND ME SOME BLACK MAN SOUL but I trust you guys. Thanks.

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    Brian said:
    Ok, my girl wants a camera for a graduation present and both her and I don't know shit about them. Here's my criteria:

- Under $1k
    - Semi-easy to use
    - Decent resale value so I can pawn it off after she decides she's not into photography anymore

I know this is the camera version of RECOMMEND ME SOME BLACK MAN SOUL but I trust you guys. Thanks.

Under $1k, I'd say a Nikon D90 with the basic kit lens.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/580422-REG/Nikon_25448_D90_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

With any DSLR there is a learning curve; however, you can set it to "automatic" and let the camera adjust the settings for you. Then you can look at the picture properties to learn what settings worked for a picture and adjust from there with the manual settings.

They seem to have a good resale value too.

---

If she doesn't want to learn how to use a DSLR or it is too bulky, then by all means, go with the Canon PowerShot

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I feel like p&s lose their value in ways that DSLRs don't.

But Brian: does she want an SLR or a P&S?

• You can't go wrong with Canon.

Does she want a point-and-shoot? SLR? Something she can take underwater?

Find out what she wants to do with it and pick the Canon that matches up best (you can something pretty damn good for under 1K). Their customer support is quite good also, which really helps if she's just starting out.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    This was supposed to be more of a surprise so I can't really ask what she wants and she definitely doesn't know what point-and-shoot or SLR are. I'll try to dig up some info without giving myself away.

• i really don't think a DSLR is a good choice for someone who it just getting into taking photos. it's not practical or semi-easy to use for a beginner and they are too clunky to lug around. you should definitely go with a compact camera

• Brian said:
    This was supposed to be more of a surprise so I can't really ask what she wants and she definitely doesn't know what point-and-shoot or SLR are. I'll try to dig up some info without giving myself away.

Then get her a PAS, an SLR can be pretty daunting for somebody just starting out.

I have this and it it's real easy to use:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SD960IS-Stabilized-Silver/dp/B001SER46K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1292273678&sr=8-2

Being able to take decent quality shots without too much fuss is a much better way to get her into it.

EDIT: that was the wrong photo

• cookbook said:

yes, i agree! but i posted the newer model above. the low light photos it takes even in auto mode are some of the sharpest i have seen. it's a very impressive camera for the size

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I wouldnt spend much on somethin thats for Facebook shots of her girlfriends and shit.

• edith head said:
    cookbook said:

yes, i agree! but i posted the newer model above. the low light photos it takes even in auto mode are some of the sharpest i have seen. it's a very impressive camera for the size

oh wow! it looked so much like the SD780 (which my wife loves) i disregarded it. Brian, your decision is made.

• This is a really nice camera, with a super fast lens. You can use the fully automatic setting if you don't know anything about photograpy or don't want the hassle. But you can also adjust f-stop, speed, and everything else as if it was a regular camer. The nice thing, I find, is it takes great pictures in low light because the 20mm lens is so fast. But its probably not a great amateur camera.

Back up: is photography something she's "interested in" as a hobby? Or, as Batmon is suggesting, is this for more casual use?

If it's a latter, cop the Powershot that Edith suggested. Canon point-and-shoots are excellent, esp. for the money.

But that's not a camera you get someone who is interested in photography. And it won't hold resale value.

If she's serious about photography, even as a beginner, I'd recommend a D-SLR like that Nikon D-90 or the comparable Canon model.

• mannybolone said:

But that's not a camera you get someone who is interested in photography.

i beg to differ. i still don't have a dslr and a powershot, small tripod, and an external flash have worked out fine for me the last 5 years or so. people get way too caught up in technical features, but fancy gear does not make a fancy photographer.

• The best camera is the one you take with you. As they say.

• also as my good friend says, "HDR is the auto-tune of photography"

edith head said:
    mannybolone said:

But that's not a camera you get someone who is interested in photography.

i beg to differ. i still don't have a dslr and a powershot, small tripod, and an external flash have worked out fine for me the last 5 years or so. people get way too caught up in technical features, but fancy gear does not make a fancy photographer.

No doubt but Edith: you bought an external flash for a point and shoot. Clearly, you're kind of serious with yours and I think, no matter what kind of camera you are using, you'd find a way to make it work. I've seen your photos - they're great. But "beginner" isn't something I'd associate with your visual sensibility.

If someone really is new to photography, but wants to learn the basics from a hobbyist point of view, I think a SLR is the best tool to start with, especially in terms of learning the basics about aperture, shutter, white balance, depth of field, etc. A P&S, in my opinion, isn't as good of a learning tool because it's deliberately designed so you don't HAVE to learn it. All consumer DSLRs feature soild "auto" features that allow you to use it as a P&S but while some P&S have manual controls, you can't make a P&S behave like a SLR.

To me, learning to take photos with an SLR is like learning how to mix with turntables. Yeah, you can use a laptop or CD players and it'd be faster and more efficient. But it wouldn't be the same education.

But like I said, it depends on what Brian's GF is looking for. If she wants to take some kick ass photos and not have to fiddle around to get there? P&S, all the way. And don't spend more than $300...save the other $700 for some other shit!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Just like to add. If she does get into photography, she will be upgrading to a SLR of some sort more than likely.

If a p&s is whats up, like it was said. Don't spend more than $300.

As it's been shown on here by a number of people. Nowadayz, even a cell phone will take some pretty dope photos.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Yes on Canon. Can we make that a sticky that says "the official camera of Soulstrut". Raj could get some cool shit thrown in.

Also, for a $1000 you can pretty much make a whole movie these days.

• This is the point and shoot most of the the studio owners I work with use for their everyday carry around camera (mark II's and Hasselblads are cumbersome).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734743-REG/Canon_4342B001.html

On that note a 10 megapixel may even be overkill if you guys aren't planning on trying to push 9x12 prints (There are also older models in that G Series) It has easily accessible manual functions for aperture and shutter speed so she can learn how to make manual exposures. If she chooses to pursue shooting further and wants a DSLR she will have a better knowledge on what sets them apart from one another. IMO

I doubt someone who's lookin into becoming a Photographer wants someone else to cop it.

She woulda been doin her research and maybe asking for it. But a camera for Xmas doesnt sound like u need to even spend 300 dollars. Im not being cheap im just sayin.

U can develop an EYE w/ a pinhole camera.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    she's interested in it as a hobby but i think it will probably end up being used for

batmon said:
    Facebook shots of her girlfriends and shit.

thanks for all the posts. gotta give this a read but i think i might go with an DSLR and make her learn how to use it. won't hurt to actually go out for once to someplace nice to take pictures i guess.

now if someone can find me a 2 bedroom for under 1600 in town that would solve all my (current) problems

The G12 is pretty killer, as is the whole Canon "G" series but they're not really P&Ss; in terms of portability. Sure, it's less bulky than a DSLR but you can't slip a G12 in your back pant pocket.

Besides, if I'm going to shell out nearly $500 for a G12, I'd be mighty tempted to go a few hundred more for a D70 or D90. But hey, my bias towards SLRs is pretty naked here so take it with a grain of salt.

There's one thing I should mention: the main reason, above all others, that I bought a SLR is because I couldn't abide by the lag in waiting for a P&S to take a picture. That split second bugged the fuck out of me and a SLR totally removed that as a concern. It's a total game changer when you're taking candid (as opposed to still, staged) pictures of people or obviously, any action shot. If they had P&S that allowed me to capture the moment, as it's happening, I'd happily sell off my D90. But I just don't think it's technically possible, especially if you're composing via LCD screen rather than a viewfinder.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    batmon said:
    I doubt someone who's lookin into becoming a Photographer wants someone else to cop it.

She woulds been doin her research and maybe asking for it. But a camera for Xmas doesnt sound like u need to even spend 300 dollars. Im not being cheap im just sayin.

she's not the type to research this kind of stuff and would probably ask me to find her something anyway. im going to just buy something off amazon and exchange it if she wants something else.

and this isn't a christmas present. it's a graduation/give you something to do while im working on beatz in da lab so you don't drive me crazy present

Ive been cravin this for a minute.

Brian said:
    batmon said:

She woulds been doin her research and maybe asking for it. But a camera for Xmas doesnt sound like u need to even spend 300 dollars. Im not being cheap im just sayin.

she's not the type to research this kind of stuff and would probably ask me to find her something anyway. im going to just buy something off amazon and exchange it if she wants something else.

and this isn't a christmas present. it's a graduation/give you something to do while im working on beatz in da lab so you don't drive me crazy present

Haha...no doubt. Then i would think about bells and whistles to keep her occupied/interested.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    pentax k-x has been getting the best reviews for a 500ish camera. think i might get one of those

I don't know much about the Pentax model in question but in terms of long-term usability, I think you'd get a shitload more use out of a Canon or Nikon given the number of interchangable lenses available on those models.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    bump
    so no longer with that girl and she didn't end up using the fucking thing anyway but
    new girl went to some fancy art school and was a photography major and i knew it was a bad choice but i bought her a hipster camera for our one year (http://www.lytro.com)
    she was digging the idea of it but it ended up being a pain in the ass to use
    anyone have any recommendations for a point and shoot under 500 and under 1000?
    only requirement is built-in flash. she was looking at these:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967142-REG/sony_nex_f3k_digital_camera_with.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/868685-REG/Pentax_15170_Q_Digital_Camera_with.html