Please help: ISO two MIA threads (no Arulpragasam)

jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Hello, soulstrut.

I'm trying to find two threads that seemed to have vanished into the ether:

One is the Chic Appreciation thread. I remember there was considerable knowledge dropped therein, but I've forgotten all of it, and I'm playing Nile Rodgers in a Christmas program down at my church and so I really need to get my facts straight posthaste. Okay, that last part may not be true, but just the same, I sure would like to check that thread again.

The other is the Your Top 10 Pieces of Music (No Bullshit) thread. I have this little shard of melody stuck in my head, and I'm ninety-nine percent sure that it's from some modern-soul jernt that someone posted in there. Like the pirate said of the ship's wheel on his belt: "Arrgh, it's driving me nuts!"

Can someone with bullier search skills than mine turn these up, or have they gone the way of all good things?

Thanks in advance.

J. Courvoisier

Comments

• james said:
    I'm playing Nile Rodgers in a Christmas program down at my church and so I really need to get my facts straight posthaste.
    Facts have no place in a church play. Still, there was also this recent thread:

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/66680/

FWIW, I recently made a really good Chic mix:

http://blog.djmatthewafrica.com/2010/11/2-busy-saying-yeah-chic-organization.html

(I do say so myself.)

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Mongo_Slade said:
    james said:
    I'm playing Nile Rodgers in a Christmas program down at my church and so I really need to get my facts straight posthaste.
    Facts have no place in a church play. Still, there was also this recent thread:

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/66680/

FWIW, I recently made a really good Chic mix:

http://blog.djmatthewafrica.com/2010/11/2-busy-saying-yeah-chic-organization.html

(I do say so myself.)
    Luckily I've switched it up from the Nile Rodgers thing to a one-man show based on The Last Dragon (will your man james be playing all the parts himself? Sho Nuff!), so some of the heat is off.

Alas, neither of the threads posted is the one in question, though seeing the one in Okem's post reminded me that I'm pretty sure the one I'm looking for was also started by Big Chan. The only other thing I can remember about it is that there was a post from Doc McCoy talking about his boy's Chic book. In any case, I really appreciate y'all's efforts.

I was kind of fessing on checking out that Chic mix, but seeing the Johnny Mathis jernt in the tracklisting, I will make a point of being about it sooner than later. "Love My Lady" is my shit.

Back in the 90s, the small South Carolina town I grew up was slated to have an honorary street named for Johnny Mathis (he was the inaugural act at the then-brand-new civic center, and it was the kind of town where shit like that is a big deal), but then someone pointed out to someone important that Johnny was probably gay and very likely black, too, and they nixed the whole shit. It's like "Civic Center Way" or something now. Bogus.

Nothing to do with nothing: I can tell that it's now officially winter in Chicago, as Cholo Dad at my daughter's school has at long last relented and traded in his calf-length jorts for some full-length grown-man pants. Minus 2 with the wind chill today? It was time, holmes.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    james said:
    Cholo Dad at my daughter's school

I recently had the chance to take #1 son to school and also regard the other parents (primarily to convince myself that they don't look that much younger than "Old Dad" me) and was struck by one bloke who was posing with one leg up on a low wall, resting his arms on his elevated knee. He was wearing a muscle top, camo shorts, adidas with no socks, bling, and... mirrored shades. This is in the Northern Hemisphere, at this time of year.

I recalled him to the wife who was familiar before I'd even began my description. He drops his daughter off in a Lambo convertible, which he likes to rev loudly on arrival and departure.

I am thinking one, maybe two inches, erect?