Your Holiday Wishlist: What do you want?

AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
What would you like to receive as a gift(s) this year?

I don't celebrate the religious aspect of Christmas, but I do enjoy the secular aspects of the holiday. Food, presents, sales, etc.

*Vinyl: female soul vocalists, female punk
*Warm socks: my feet get very cold, so I double up on socks in the winter
*New pajamas: my mother already took care of this. I saw that she purchased two pairs of pajamas for me. Unfortunately, her department store finds resulted in garish animal prints: zebra and blue cheetah. Oh, well.
*Dainty little cufflinks
*Scarves
*Giftcards

I will most likely end up purchasing these items on my own.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Nothing. I don't want any gifts at all. Dinner with my family and seeing everyone happy and healthy is good. It would be nice to just be happy for a while.

• In no particular order I would like the following :-

PK Big Ripper

Monome 64

Korg Monotron

15" LCD Monitor to use with my MV8000

Oh and world peace etc etc...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    my dream gift a cast iron skillet and an iron smoker with indirect heat
    an iolite vaporizer

• my girl and I exchanged gifts already because im back down to part time, so we spent the money while we had it...I got a soda stream from her so I can make my own sparkling water...cut back on waste(no cans nor bottles) and the fact that Memphis has the best tap water in the country means I will have a virtually endless supply of top shelf sparkling water. Yay!

• I don't really want much this season. I do plan on surprising a friend of mine with a gift before she leaves to go home for the holidays. But if I were to be surprised with something, I'd want The Saragossa Manuscript on DVD.

• Almond said:

*Warm socks: my feet get very cold, so I double up on socks in the winter

This. Patterned or at least interesting warm socks are a must for a young gentleman hoping to brave a Michigan winter. Also included in my Dear Santa letter are a couple Timex's, and a gift certificate to Name Brand Ann Arbor with which I'll be getting a tattoo re-touched. My family is super good at holiday shopping for one another, it's rad.

I'll be getting one bud of mine some of his favorite coffee, and another the first season of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. I think they'll be pretty psyched. Don't want to speak of the ladyfriend's present , even cybertronically, because it's the first time i've been able to keep it a surprise (so far at least) but I know she's going to love it, which makes me so anxious for the 25th.

b/w is there a holiday feast-strut thread yet?

• A regular DJ night. I have everything else I need.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    pcmr said:
    cast iron skillet

This is on my list, which is pretty much dominated by kitchen gear.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Nothing. Standard gifts have been out of style. My fam usually donates instead.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    Nothing. Standard gifts have been out of style. My fam usually donates instead.

Same here.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    the fact that Memphis has the best tap water in the country

Please to explain this highly unlikely scenario.

:icallbullshit:

• musica said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

why would you doubt? Seriously, why is it that hard to believe? Please to explain why it seems to be an unlikely scenario...anyway, we have some of the oldest artesian wells in North America, in fact Yuengling is building a brewery here because of the quality of the water but anyway:
    http://www.sustainlane.com/us-city-rankings/categories/tap-water-quality

well, we are ranked 6th here...but I still say its the best, clean tasting...if you buy bottled water in memphs, you are throwing money away.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I'm with the saps: I cannot wait to hang out with my family. Warm California sun (please--no rain please). Gonna coast a beach cruiser from Ojai to Ventura: cannot wait.

If you're collecting donations, though, I want:
    pants for snow
    shoes for mtb
    coupon for house cleaning
    black shoes

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    if you buy bottled water, you're a straight up fool.

• My family and friends are pretty frustrated with me 'cause I'm so hard to shop for. If there's something I *really* want/need I just get it for myself.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Herm said:
    My family and friends are pretty frustrated with me 'cause I'm so hard to shop for. If there's something I *really* want/need I just get it for myself.

Suggestions for Herm's fam: Combine a gift card with something sentimental. Apple gift card and a framed family photo. Nordstrom gift card and a packet of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans. Scarlet and gold tie. Stress boob. Suede shoe leather conditioner and a couple of gift certificates to the movie theatre. Burned copies of Black Sheep's albums with the songs in the right order. Subscription to GQ, Vogue or Cosmopolitan. You can't be that hard to shop for.

Or you can just ask for a time machine, an all-expense-paid semester abroad at Durmstrang, a Bachelor party even though you aren't getting married, an ocean view or a pony. If you're going to be difficult, do it right.

• Almond said:
    Herm said:
    My family and friends are pretty frustrated with me 'cause I'm so hard to shop for. If there's something I *really* want/need I just get it for myself.

Suggestions for Herm's fam: Combine a gift card with something sentimental. Apple gift card and a framed family photo. Nordstrom gift card and a packet of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans. Scarlet and gold tie. Stress boob. Suede shoe leather conditioner and a couple of gift certificates to the movie theatre. Burned copies of Black Sheep's albums with the songs in the right order. Subscription to GQ, Vogue or Cosmopolitan. You can't be that hard to shop for.

Or you can just ask for a time machine, an all-expense-paid semester abroad at Durmstrang, a Bachelor party even though you aren't getting married, an ocean view or a pony. If you're going to be difficult, do it right.

Wow...I'm amazed how well you know me!

• Ableton Live for shows
    a 500 series compressor
    VocalAlign

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Various Christmas parties to attend: check
    Long-time vinyl wants on their way: check
    Summer weather totally kicking ass: Check
    Time off work: Check
    New coffee machine and digital camera in the christmas stocking: check

Christmas: sorted.

Wait, one thing: anyone know where i can buy glow-in-the-dark lingerie?

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Kinetic said:

I don't know of any glow-in-the-dark fabrics, but you can get GITD fabric paint from a craft store like Michael's, or even the craft section of Walmart. It often comes in tubes with a squirt tip, so you can make lines or use a paintbrush to paint it on. Fabric paints tend to make a fabric stiff where it is applied, though. Remember to expose GITD products to the light for at least 30 minutes to get the full glow effect when you turn the lights off. I used to be addicted to art supplies.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Kinetic said:

http://www.fhm.com/funny/wow-youre-glowing-78673

Interesting...for the secret kinky ravers?

• Wifey got me a ticket to the Black Keys on the 30th; I got her the limited ed. Black Friday version of "Brothers" and the Awkward Family Photo book. Pretty simple but it gets the job done.

I'm like most Strutteurs with gifts though, if there's something I want/need I've already bought it. The grandpa Christmas check bought me my first car so I'm more than happy with that.

elise said:
    Kinetic said:

http://www.fhm.com/funny/wow-youre-glowing-78673

Interesting...for the secret kinky ravers?

Haha - nah, for the wife who is "addicted to art supplies" and especially obsessed with all things GITD/flourescent!

• The_Hook_Up said:
    musica said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

why would you doubt? Seriously, why is it that hard to believe? Please to explain why it seems to be an unlikely scenario...anyway, we have some of the oldest artesian wells in North America, in fact Yuengling is building a brewery here because of the quality of the water but anyway:
    http://www.sustainlane.com/us-city-rankings/categories/tap-water-quality

well, we are ranked 6th here...but I still say its the best, clean tasting...if you buy bottled water in memphs, you are throwing money away.

i have to agree with this for san francisco as well. our tap water from hetch hetchy reservoir > bottled water. but if i lived in las vegas, i'd buy bottled water all the time. that is the worst tasting water i have ever had and it smells like sulphur

• Big_Chan said:
    Nothing. I don't want any gifts at all. Dinner with my family and seeing everyone happy and healthy is good. It would be nice to just be happy for a while.

i agree! to me holidays are about gorging on food with people i love first and foremost.
    that said, i really like to get second hand gifts to friends now vs something they can find & buy for themselves such as these spinning globe book ends i'm planning to give to my pal

• edith head said:
    Big_Chan said:

i agree! to me holidays are about gorging on food with people i love first and foremost.
    that said, i really like to get second hand gifts to friends now vs something they can find & buy for themselves such as these spinning globe book ends i'm planning to give to my pal

can i be your friend? haha but seriously those are rad.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Since my rent has almost tripled (just move into an apartment by myself) I am weary of buying presents this year. And on top of that, I am not expecting much, too. I am just grateful to be able to afford what I have now and be able to buy a plane ticket to fly back home for Christmas. To me, that is quite extraordinary.

Family, Friends, Food...really, is what it is all about. I think I have enough stuff. Maybe ;)

• elise said:
    I think I have enough stuff. Maybe ;)

you KNOW you want one of these
    http://www.uncrate.com/men/home/kitchen/breville-pie-maker/

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    edith head said:
    elise said:
    I think I have enough stuff. Maybe ;)

you KNOW you want one of these
    http://www.uncrate.com/men/home/kitchen/breville-pie-maker/

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? That's awesome! Uh oh!