Pray For Aretha

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Aretha Franklin has cancer and it doesn't look good. Start praying now. She too amazing to loose!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE: WJBK FOX 2 News in Detroit confirms that Franklin has cancer. A family insider told the station that she's doing, "OK," but they ask for the public's prayers.

PREVIOUSLY:
A week after undergoing surgery for a mystery illness, the National Enquirer reports (via PopCrunch) that famed singer Aretha Franklin has incurable pancreatic cancer.

The surgery, labeled a success, came under mysterious circumstances. This is the first time this illness has been reported. In November, she canceled all concerts through May 2011 due to "medical reasons."

The Enquirer's report lists pancreatic survival rates at 5-10%, and even lower for someone of Franklin's age and weight.

Comments

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    :-S

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Fuck.

I was looking for Aretha's mashup of Precious Lord and You've Got A Friend.

Instead I found and decided to post Mahalia's version.
    She was Aretha's friend, mentor, mother figure and inspiration.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Just learned about it a couple hours ago.

• LaserWolf said:
    Fuck.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts

one of the best songs ever

Aretha is the Queen.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    :(

• dang!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    That's a shame. She is not that old. I hope she fights and hangs in there.

I think its Appresh Time.

As classic as Marvin's Wholy Holy is I think she actually owns that song.

If there's a heaven(or a hell) I hope to hear the background vocals of Aint No Way all the time.

I fux w/ thic cover....

I've seen dudes here talk about her, but i feel like she's kinda taken for granted just cause there's no questioning her influence. Dudes dont jerk off to like a Curtis and them, yet her legacy is probably longer than most of the entire American landscape. What is Soul/R&B w/out her? The game goes through her.

And truthfully I only own like 4 albums and didnt "grow up" w/ her in my household.

• I know she'll pull through. Although statistics say one thing, her character makes me believe she will overcome this. She will always be Queen.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    mmmmm, love this. Positive thoughts.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:

I've seen dudes here talk about her, but i feel like she's kinda taken for granted just cause there's no questioning her influence. Dudes dont jerk off to like a Curtis and them, yet her legacy is probably longer than most of the entire American landscape. What is Soul/R&B w/out her? The game goes through her.

And truthfully I only own like 4 albums and didnt "grow up" w/ her in my household.

It's a man/woman thing. I am not prepared to take on the sexism in music argument, but will say that it's circumstantial; nerds are mostly dudes and can not relate to her pain or persepective like they can Curtis or Marvin or Donny, etc. etc.
    Her influence and talent and power are all indisputable, but her commercial success means that in some people's eyes, the aforementioned are somehow diminshed...it also means folks will pass over her, and as you say, take her for granted.

Then I am a not a dude.

I felt a little foolish in the whodoyouhavethemost records by thread saying Aretha.

Not so much now.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Is it really essential...still? Over 10 years into this thing that we still have to write "...not in every case..." "...this is not a comment on every damn person breathing..."?

I am not talking about individuals but on B's comment on her general popularity.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:
    Is it really essential...still? Over 10 years into this thing that we still have to write "...not in every case..." "...this is not a comment on every damn person breathing..."?

I am not talking about individuals but on B's comment on her general popularity.

Clarify? Im lost.

Not meant to attack you.
    I agree with everything you said.

Just saying I am proud to have always put her at the top.
    And proud that I have said as much here many times.
    I have taken flack for it at times, like in the WomenWhoInfluencedFunk thread from way back.

• Almond said:

one of the best songs ever

Aretha is the Queen.

Thats version's awesome!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    2 mics for 3 backing singers And Aretha the equivalent of 10 singers....

:goat: for me.

Please God to not let her be done yet.

• Who rides for her Columbia output? there is a lot of string filled jazz-lite and pop tunes as they didn't know what to do with her yet...but hidden among those is some fire...her version of "one room paradise" in particular...also "lee cross", "soulville", "are you sure", "rough lover"... I always get excited when I dig up a Columbia single I haven't heard. Fight it Aretha!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Who rides for her Columbia output? there is a lot of string filled jazz-lite and pop tunes as they didn't know what to do with her yet...but hidden among those is some fire...her version of "one room paradise" in particular...also "lee cross", "soulville", "are you sure", "rough lover"... I always get excited when I dig up a Columbia single I haven't heard. Fight it Aretha!

I absolutely ride; I've tried to sing its praises for years. As you point out, it's about hunting through the catalog to find the gems but I'm hoping that, at this point (thanks to many comps that have combed through the Columbia records), people recognize the excellent material she had with them.

The_Hook_Up said:
    Who rides for her Columbia output? there is a lot of string filled jazz-lite and pop tunes as they didn't know what to do with her yet...but hidden among those is some fire...her version of "one room paradise" in particular...also "lee cross", "soulville", "are you sure", "rough lover"... I always get excited when I dig up a Columbia single I haven't heard. Fight it Aretha!

Huge fan of the Columbia stuff, despite some turds*
    The Running Out Of Fools lp is a solid soul record.

People starting to explore Aretha's columbia singles can keep an eye out for the name Clyde Otis.

I like the Dinah Washington inspired jazz/blues stuff and the Ray Charles inspired countryish stuff.
    I pretty much like it all except for some really bad song choices like RockABye Your Baby.

It is here Arista output that I have ignored. I need to throw some of those on today.
    Here is a great one from the Columbia years.

* Have you heard the xmas single?

• yo dudes...a small follow up to this:

Recovering at home from her recent surgery, Aretha Franklin says she's up and about ??? and feeling better, too.

"I feel great," she tells JET in a new interview, adding that doctors want her to recuperate for eight weeks. "The doctors say I can do whatever I feel like I am up to do. Of course, that doesn't mean any concerts or anything like that. But I can do things around the house, and today I am just piddling around the house."

The singer, 68, still has not revealed the nature of her ailment, though she's been reported to have pancreatic cancer. She promises the magazine that she will speak out on what's ailing her soon. "I am putting Aretha together first," she adds. "I will talk more later."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20451364,00.html?hpt=C2

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    thanks

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    and another update over this:
    Just one week after saying she wasn't "going to even deal with" rumors that she was suffering from pancreatic cancer, Aretha Franklin is finally speaking out.

???I don???t know where ???pancreatic cancer??? came from," the Queen of Soul tells "Access Hollywood." ???I was sitting there reading the newspaper and it was saying someone in my family said that. No one in my family ever said that to anybody.???

The 68-year-old singing legend underwent surgery for her undisclosed health problem in December and now says things couldn't be better.

"[My doctor] said, ???The surgery that you just had is going to add 15 to 20 more years to your life,'" she reveals. Another perk? ???I???m down to a rockin??? [size] 16 ??? 18??? It???s getting better every day. I plan on keeping this weight that I have now ??? I???m so happy with it.???

Meanwhile, Franklin has a biopic about her life in the works and wants Halle Berry to play the older Aretha. But Berry, 44, isn't quite sure she's up for the task.

"I can't sing! " the Oscar winner told E!'s Ryan Seacrest, according to the Hollywood Reporter. "If I could carry a tune, I'd consider it. Someone should tell Aretha that I can't do her justice."

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/17/aretha-franklin-clears-up-cancer-rumors/?hpt=Sbin

• The_Hook_Up said:

here's a Columbia track I love:

it's off Franklin's 1964 Tribute to Dinah Washington album, which is fire, IMO.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    "My bad! I just had some gas."