Remembering the (original) Day That Will Live In Infamy

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Today's Pearl Harbor Day. For those Americans on the board, respect your grandfolks bitches!

http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/article/uss-arizona-survival-stories-on-pearl-harbor-day/19750215

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Respect. To my parents, I'm old.

• LaserWolf said:
    Respect.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    my grandfather was at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7, 1941 - serving in the US Army Air Force

he never wanted to tell us stories about it, which I couldn't understand when I was a kid

years later I was at ground zero on 9/11 & I suddenly understood completely

rest in peace grandpa

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Our now sole newspaper in town has some coverage:
    http://www.staradvertiser.com/

• Ah, the old times when we used to justifiably enter wars.

• Options
    I used to see an old guy around the neighborhood who had a "Pearl Harbor Survivor" license plate. (They're official plates issued by the DMV.) I always wanted to ask him about that day but it seemed intrusive so I never did.

I haven't seen him around the past few years.

• pearl harbour was an inside job

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The-gaffler said:
    pearl harbour was an inside job
    yeah not really funny with all the internment camps and stuff going on during that time

• Options
    Brian said:
    The-gaffler said:
    pearl harbour was an inside job
    yeah not really funny with all the internment camps and stuff going on during that time

I think gaffler was making a joke based on a parallel to 9/11.

It really is astonishing how quickly the anti-Japanese sentiment was used to turn on Japanese-Americans, though. One of the few things I give Bush credit for is that he came forward very quickly to discourage actions against American Muslims. It wasn't pretty after Pearl Harbor:

http://www.imdiversity.com/villages/asian/history_heritage/archives/japanese_american_internment_timeline.asp

Of course Bush had to blow his moment of valor by going out and blowing up an uninvolved country just for shits and giggles, but still...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i'm quite aware of what the intent of his joke was

• Options
    Brian said:
    i'm quite aware of what the intent of his joke was

Didn't seem like it, dude.

What's the difference between "aware" and "quite aware," anyway?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    You don't ever quit do you? This is a thread for remembrance; not for insensitive jokes or your typical partisan bullshit that you seem to plaster all over the board or derail threads with. My people were imprisoned because the government thought they were capable of an "inside job." My father's side of the family was directly impacted by these events. Shit is nothing to joke about so please, shut the fuck up for once.

• hey you two, chill - fire up the doobie