The Death of College Radio

2»

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    spelunk said:
    I'm scared for my old station and everyone else in the UCRN network. Campuses will take note of this and jump on an easy way out of budget deficits.

Plus as terrestrial radio dies its long slow agonizing death, it will be harder and harder to convince university boards that radio stations are a relevant aspect of their school's mission to serve and educate their students and the community. My guess is that few college radio stations are entirely funded by listeners and underwriting, so many stations draw at least some funding from university sources, making the decision to sell the license that much easier. Thirdly, now that there's the option of internet broadcasting, the university can claim that they're not destroying the station but moving it to "online-only", as we see in the KUSF case.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

I think the loss of free form college and community radio stations is a bad thing.
    They provide an outlet and format that is missing on most public radio stations.

and missing on satellite radio, yet syndicated non-local rigid format classical music is easily found there.

this is my main beef. it's just another needless nail in the coffin of local culture, community arts, etc.

most areas have one station like this, at best. and if they are being taken away, it's a damn shame.