What Ever Happen To DJ Scratches In Main Stream Rap Songs?

Manduro3000Manduro3000 265 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Just sayin... when did the trend of adding cuts and scratches to main stream Rap songs die out? I'm not talking about the current underground joints, but the new rap cuts that get heavy rotation on the radio now. The last song I can remember that had a DJ cutting on it was Common's "The Light" and only at the very end of the song... ten years ago.

Comments

• Kanye had some on previous albums. Rick Ross has some. Jazmine Sullivan has some on her own vocals in a new song. They are sprinkled here and there but not quite as common.

• Probably a result of more music being made solely on workstations and turntables not being part of the equation at all.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Manduro3000 said:
    ten years ago.

Probably more.

There's a skit on one of the Executioners album talmbout DJ gettin' a little shine at the chorus or just to decorate the track.

I dont think Mainstreem Rap (whatever that is), should be the baromter no mo'.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    They were replaced by that pitch bent drum machine noise.

That A-trak Barbra Streisand tune that's in the charts now has the wiki wiki. But it's not teh rap.

• cant be as bad as doing a live show and having a dj in the background "airscratching" to nuthin, thats what really grinds my gears...lol

why bring the gear and the dj set it all up to stand there and do nuthin....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    cant be as bad as doing a live show and having a dj in the background "airscratching" to nuthin, thats what really grinds my gears...lol

Get Money.....duh....air scratch and get paid? No brainer.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Manduro3000 said:
    Just sayin... when did the trend of adding cuts and scratches to main stream Rap songs die out? I'm not talking about the current underground joints, but the new rap cuts that get heavy rotation on the radio now. The last song I can remember that had a DJ cutting on it was Common's "The Light" and only at the very end of the song... ten years ago.

A-Trak scratches in "Go" which is a 5 years after that.

This was the first thing I thought about though...

• Cosmo said:
    Manduro3000 said:

A-Trak scratches in "Go" which is a 5 years after that.

This was the first thing I thought about though...

Ha! Go and Friday Night were the 1st 2 that came to mind for me too. I guess the cuts in Go are a bit more subtle.
    Another Just Blaze track that comes to mind is Fat Joe - Safe 2 Say (The Incredible) - edit - but maybe it doesn't apply here cus it's more of a street single than a mainstream single that radio is really pushing.

• There was a lil scratchin' on a couple of those G.O.O.D. Fridays tracks that Kanye put out.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    super high by rick ross from this year has scratching on the outro
    this isnt hugely uncommon i dont think, just less common

one of the big reggaeton songs a few yrs back had scratching & beat boxing iirc, "rompe"

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I remember this thread popping up like 4 years ago and it was funny to me because at least 2-3 of the biggest rap songs at the time had scratching in them... but maybe they didn't count because they were southern raps.

• dj_cityboy said:
    cant be as bad as doing a live show and having a dj in the background "airscratching" to nuthin, thats what really grinds my gears...lol

Very good point that I didn't even think about. And the funny thing is mostly all the current top rap acts use "airscratching" DJ's when they perform live. But I guess there aren't that many current rap hits that you really scratch Fab 5 Freddy "Change The Beat" to.