Local DJ murdered by six "bored" teenagers

SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
http://theday.com/article/20101202/NWS04/312029415

Damn. This story gets more sad and disgusting by the day. I barely knew Matt (the victim), but he worked with several close friends of mine. He was walking home from work, at around 11:30 pm, to his apartment just down the street when he was beaten down and stabbed to death by six teenagers (the above link has the details). The murder happened about a month ago, and arrests were finally made this week. Our town has been shaken up over the past month trying to put the pieces together after what appeared to be a completely random murder (the police were understandably silent during the investigation). Now that the arrests have been made, one of the teens claimed that they attacked and killed Matt because they were bored.

It wasn't long ago when the singer of my band was randomly jumped by a group of kids and put in the hospital with two broken cheekbones, swelling in the brain, etc. At least he's still walking around.

It's hard to wrap your head around. Look at the pictures in the article ... they're just kids. What the hell drives kids to brutally take a stranger's life and piss their own lives away in the process? Boredom?

I have to admit, though it doesn't in any way excuse what these kids did, there is nothing in our town for the under 21 crowd to do. New London is basically a small city. At night, the only activity revolves around the downtown bars. You have a couple of rock clubs, a few bars that flip between douchebag college boy nights and hip hop nights, and a couple of old towny bars. One venue (the El N Gee ... a once semi-established rock club) seems to change ownership annually and has been an under 21 dance venue for, say, 2 or 3 of the past 5 years. When that place is a dance club, it's packed. But then you have a couple of stabbings or a shooting and the owners bail. It's currently back to being a generally empty rock club. So if you're under 21 and you don't have a car, you roam around at night. So I'm not too surprised when a group of kids beats someone down for sport. But stabbing someone to death?

Sad and disgusting.

Comments