LAW AND ORDER: special victims unit or original?

2»

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

2) The OG L&O is always classic but frankly, SVU has better casting these days. For one thing, Mariska is FYRE. She's Jane Mansfield's daughter, what do you expect.

Man, she could run me in ANYTIME (that is, if I had run into her before marriage)!!! Mariska's one of the sexiest women on television, making it easy for me to catch L&O SVU on the regular. I like the original L&O too, but SVU dishes up more "eye candy" (in my opinion) for the fellas (e.g., Stephanie March & Diane Neal are aiiiiiight). I also like M.E. Warner's character (played by Tamara Tunie) because it presents a highly positive image for young Black girls to see on television. Also, I generally find the SVU cases more interesting as well since they usually involve some form of abnormal psychology.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

4) Volumen - dude, B.D. Wong's character is far more than "the science nerd." He's a psychologist and frankly, I find his character to be one of the LEAST stereotypical for an Asian American on television today. I mean, sure, I wish he'd go primary through a door sometime, 9mm in hand, but he's not like the L&O designated physicist or accountant. He's a shrink - that's pretty cool by me. I'm actually surprised you'd find his character problematic. Hell, Ice T is far more stereotypical in his role in comparison.

Yea, I've only seen a few of the shows so I'm sure your right. The ones I saw just happened to be ones where someone says "I wonder how blah blah" and dude come out with "Their is a little know blah that is in cells that blahs when it reacts with blah......". My friend and I were both like "Where the hell did that come from?" It's not like 100 other shows don't do the same thing.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    By the way, which previous B.D. Wong roles were that stereotypical?

I just recently watched the movie The Freshman w/Marlon Brando and Matthew Broderick so that's what I was immediately thinking of. In that movie he played kind of an oddball assistant to an oddball ethnically stereotypical chef.

And it's really depends on how you define stereotypical roles - as you were defining it before, his nerdy scientist role in Jurassic Park also fits in. And there are a few others as well.