Music critics worth a damn

124»

Comments

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    bassie said:
    tabira said:
    bassie said:
    While a review/essay/etc. of a book or movie or art piece might increase my enjoyment or engagement - after the fact and/or to make me go back for a second read/viewing - I either like a song or don't. I can't deny what happens in my gut. .

IMO good music criticism is like good psychotherapy - it puts words to what you already feel, helping you to see why you like/dislike something beyond blind gut feeling. It can intensify the enjoyment of a track even though it cannot create that enjoyment. I can think of dozens of lines or comments that "fit" and made sense of why I loved a piece of music.

For example I always loved the way that the first solo on Joe Henderson's Inner Urge was by Bob Cranshaw on bass. Normally the bass is last in line and normally I don't even like bass solos. But this one I loved and I could't tell why. I just did. That was the gut talking again. Then I read Cuscana's liner notes to the RVG reissue. For him putting the bass first was a master stroke because the tense brooding sound of the instrument set the mood - the "inner urge" - that the musicians wanted to convey.

That for me was very sharp criticism that helped me to understand better why I love the track.

now.. hate on this

Nothing to hate, but you have put in a lot of yourself into what I wrote about me.

I have no problem explaining why I love a song. I don't need help with it. The gut reaction is not blind - your words, not mine.

What I get out of reading an interesting history, well-written review, etc. is not a greater enjoyment of the music, but of humans.

I probably shouldn't have quoted you directly in the first place because I wasn't, as you suspect, talking about you - your comments merely inspired my own self reflection. For me gut feeling is what I have when I can't articulate something. c'est tout

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Pass the lotion

• bassie said:

What I get out of reading an interesting history, well-written review, etc. is not a greater enjoyment of the music, but of humans.

we have a winner.

• Options
    mannybolone said:
    Ebert = Robert Christgau

Poor Ebert. First a disfiguring cancer, now this odious comparison.

• Options
    Did I miss a post where someone mentioned Nick Tosches? Because he should be mentioned.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    mannybolone said:
    Ebert = Robert Christgau

Ha. I'd rather read Xgau > Ebert any day of the week.

• Options
    mannybolone said:
    BobDesperado said:
    mannybolone said:
    Ebert = Robert Christgau

D+

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Just stumbled on this while working:

???Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read???

Frank Zappa

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    BobDesperado said:
    mannybolone said:
    Ebert = Robert Christgau

wow first thing i totally disagree with you about in this thread

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    My affections for Xgau (besides him being one of the grumpiest dudes I've ever crossed paths with) largely stems from his music reviews in the 1970s; he is probably one of the most economic writers I've ever come across and while that kind of brevity can certain come off as mega-dickish at times (look up his reviews of some Isley Bros. albums from that era), I think he provides a useful model for learning how to do more with less.

With Ebert, I really don't like his prose style; it's choppy and when he tries to pull daggers on a film or performance, it never feels like it has real bite. I don't question his influence or importance and it's not even that I disagree with his assessments. But I don't enjoy reading his writing. I find Tony Scott more thoughtful and Anthony Lane more enjoyable (especially when he goes for the jugular) when it comes to movie critics.