Deceased record collections

LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
No disrespect intended, but Im curious as to what happens/happended to the record collections of famous Hip Hop DJs and Producers like Jam Master Jay, Dilla, Paul C, Rob One, Screw etc when they passed away?

Im wondering if the families keep them as a memory/homange, pass them on to their freinds/collegues/children, are the records donated? thrown out?

Or in the case of Dilla's family who had some financial difficulties, do the records get sold to raise much needed funds? And if so, do ppl in the industry come together and pay big money or do ppl try and get the stuff on the cheap (as they would with a normal collection of someone who passed away)?

Anyone here know any specifics? Im not tryting to stir shit or anything, Im just curious.

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Almond said:

damn! thats horrible.. truly horrible

• "Great Zeee tells the story of how he got Jam Master Jay's record collection."

the first few seconds are really choppy

• i wonder who will inherit Dank Energy's media collection

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i heard a lot of Paul C's collection was found in a thrift store in Queens somewhere

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    behemoth said:
    i heard a lot of Paul C's collection was found in a thrift store in Queens somewhere

If that's true, it's tragic.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Some of Rob One's collection was sold off by his then girlfriend Lysette to help pay for the funeral. Rob was a super good dude - one of the nicest guys I've ever known.

AM's collection was (and I think still is?) being sold at Cobra Snake's store in Hollywood --- all sales are going to his charity.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    Some of Rob One's collection was sold off by his then girlfriend Lysette to help pay for the funeral. Rob was a super good dude - one of the nicest guys I've ever known.

AM's collection was (and I think still is?) being sold at Cobra Snake's store in Hollywood --- all sales are going to his charity.

Thats good to hear, that the sale goes to a good cause. And in Rob's case at least it helped out financially (I used to play Rob 1's tapes non stop in HS....loved his work).

Sad to imagine Paul C's stuff getting dumped in a thrift store, cus you think how much time these ppl put into their collections and the use they got out of it, it just seems it should be valued more, either from the point of being a tribute to their passion and skills or if need be as a way of providing money back to their family......

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    LokoOne said:
    Woimsah said:

Thats good to hear, that the sale goes to a good cause. And in Rob's case at least it helped out financially (I used to play Rob 1's tapes non stop in HS....loved his work).

Sad to imagine Paul C's stuff getting dumped in a thrift store, cus you think how much time these ppl put into their collections and the use they got out of it, it just seems it should be valued more, either from the point of being a tribute to their passion and skills or if need be as a way of providing money back to their family......

this is just a story i heard. and it may have just been like 2 boxes not the whole collection...

• and definitely before the current era where his work is fetching crazy loot