Terriers ( Great TV Show Related)

hermes1hermes1 109 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
I don't think this thread will get much love because this show is so under the radar but I rep hard for Terriers.
FX has kind of been killing it lately and they deliver with Terriers.

Anyone else checking this ? If you have been disappointed with TV this year do yourself a favor and check this out.
BTW it really starts cooking after the 2nd episode.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Funny, we just finished EP12. Love this show; easily my favorite of this past season (considerably more than "Boardwalk Empire" though I like that too). It's a real sleeper series - that pilot wasn't likely to bring viewers in off the jump but it's been a fantastic show as the season has matured.

Bummer it hasn't been renewed yet but the ratings haven't been strong. I hope the season finale will at least offer some resolution if it ends up being the series finale.

• thanks for not posting spoilers from tonights show, its been the one thing ive been looking forward to all day.
    yes this show is really great and i hope it gets renewed. i think if it could just get another season in the works it could build a large enough audience to justify itself to the network. i mean how long was it before breaking bad became such a huge show ? it wasn't until the end of the second season that many jumped on board.

• curious, how would you sell this show to others who haven't seen it ? i know the guy who does terriers produced the shield ( another good show) but to my mind it's not like the shield, aside from the cop stuff which does have some overlap.

Hermes: I think that's part of the problem. Any basic description just lacks pizzaz. It's not "Sons of Anarchy" where you can say, "it's about a motorcycle gang in Northern California." Or "Breaking Bad": it's about a high school chemistry teacher who starts cooking meth because he's dying of cancer. Those are all great premises. "Terriers" lacks that kind of set-up.

"Terriers" is about two loser-ish private detectives in a slummy part of San Diego who, uh, investigate shit. And have relationship problems. And um, um...

It's tough. The things that you could also sell is that the writing is whip-smart, actor Donal Logue is incredible in it and the principals have strong chemistry together. But really, unless you watch the show, none of this is likely to resonate.

Regardless, I am glad that FX at least gave it a full season. I hope they'll renew but at least it didn't go out like "Lone Star."

• Love it. Haven't seen last night's yet (travel-r). Hope it doesn't get canceled (but it's not looking good).

I feel like FX might be willing to show some love and take a chance. Luckily, this show isn't on network TV

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    your getting me interested

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the trailer is great

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    also was lone star good?
    db cooper posted it on the facial libro and i thought (judging by the pic) that it was an 80's western

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I went looking for a stream of this on the strength of this thread, and I have to say I liked the first episode. Good cast, and the storyline looks as if it could develop in an interesting way. Looking forward to the rest of it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    pcmr said:
    also was lone star good?
    db cooper posted it on the facial libro and i thought (judging by the pic) that it was an 80's western

surprisingly enough ;) it was a movie
    the premise looked good
    its a shame they cancelled it after 2 episodes and apparently incredible reviews

• Last nights episode was facemelt.

DocMcCoy said:
    I went looking for a stream of this on the strength of this thread, and I have to say I liked the first episode. Good cast, and the storyline looks as if it could develop in an interesting way. Looking forward to the rest of it.

Doc, if you already like the first episode you are srsly gonna love the subsequent ones. This show gets stronger with each new one, in that sense it's similar to Breaking Bad.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Ocean Beach, represent

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up on this - just dl'ed the pilot episode and really enjoyed it. Ill be grabbing the other eps later. It has a bit of a big lebowski vibe, the lead reminds me of jeff bridges. In some ways, its like a harder edged west coast version of 'bored to death', you guys up on that? might be a little too cutesy/quirky for most, but I also enjoyed that. Ted Danson and galifinakis are great in that show imo.

• scebasceba 122 Posts
    thanks for the tip! i'm on the fourth episode watching straight through, this is some good shit!

• staxwax said:
    It has a bit of a big lebowski vibe, the lead reminds me of jeff bridges.

Yeah man, I thought it was a bit much at first with the hair and the beard, but dude's acting is pretty excellent. Great show indeed. One thing that bothers me a little about it (and Breaking Bad, coincidentally) is all the shit they feel the need to cram in (*minor spoiler ahead* e.g. the whole drug cartel thing). I'm all for a good plot twist, but it can get a bit silly...

• I'm a big Sons of Anarchy fan and I've been meaning to check this one out.

Downloading the first 3 episodes now.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I managed to get 4 or 5 episodes in, but this program is garbage. It's like Veronica Mars for grown ups. Although I don't think Veronica Mars cried as much as the detective dude in this.

Okem said:
    I managed to get 4 or 5 episodes in, but this program is garbage. It's like Veronica Mars for grown ups. Although I don't think Veronica Mars cried as much as the detective dude in this.

Different strokes for different folks.

I did like the "Veronica Mars" comparison though.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    gonnawatch

• Cancelled. Bummer.

• chrisflyer said:
    Cancelled. Bummer.

Oh well. At least there was some closure.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    oh well
    we hardly knew ye

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I haven't seen it yet and will probably check it out on teh DVD. But I will say, as a noir/detective fan and FX appreciator (and thus a prime target for this show), I think the entire marketing campaign for Terriers was way off. The title doesn't describe the content in any real way, and yet every ad I saw just had the title and a black and white picture of a couple of dudes and a dog. Intriguing? I guess that was the concept, but really I just thought it might be a show somehow related to dogs and I wasn't going to go out of my way to check it out. Building anticipation by being intentionally vague about the product you're marketing can be effective, but that's a game that must be played with subtlety and nuance. Not with teh fail.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Heh, yeah, I can agree with that. I just assumed it was a TLC-type show about... terriers, a la:

I guess I'll check out the DVD, too.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Like someone on the previous page mentioned they've obviously been inspired by The Big Lebowski somewhere in this shows development. So I think that's where the show imagines it gets its slightly kooky / vague / edge from. Although, it got lost in production process and goes completely missing after the pilot episode.
    I don't know if you could ever have a character like Lebowski in a US tv show. He's too lazy & too much of a looser. But more importantly, he's too ambiguous as a character.

The lead character in this show, their Lebowski, is meant to be complex, but each complexion, trait, fault has to be expounded, elaborated and explained away. He's complex because of his past, and because he's a morally upstanding ex-cop who has to bend some laws to save the day. Or because of his relationship with his ex-wife / ex-partner. Or his complicated family situation. He's complex because people go to him with their problems and cry on his shoulder and he cries with them. Or because all these things inform him that the world is a complex place, so you shouldn't take things on face value, and this somehow helps him solve crime. In fact this Lebowski doesn't really have faults or weaknesses, just opportunities for redemption.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Okem said:
    Like someone on the previous page mentioned they've obviously been inspired by The Big Lebowski somewhere in this shows development. So I think that's where the show imagines it gets its slightly kooky / vague / edge from. Although, it got lost in production process and goes completely missing after the pilot episode.
    I don't know if you could ever have a character like Lebowski in a US tv show. He's too lazy & too much of a looser. But more importantly, he's too ambiguous as a character.

The lead character in this show, their Lebowski, is meant to be complex, but each complexion, trait, fault has to be expounded, elaborated and explained away. He's complex because of his past, and because he's a morally upstanding ex-cop who has to bend some laws to save the day. Or because of his relationship with his ex-wife / ex-partner. Or his complicated family situation. He's complex because people go to him with their problems and cry on his shoulder and he cries with them. Or because all these things inform him that the world is a complex place, so you shouldn't take things on face value, and this somehow helps him solve crime. In fact this Lebowski doesn't really have faults or weaknesses, just opportunities for redemption.

Jesus, dude. Get a blog.

I KEED

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I'm that bored right now.

So much so I'm considering watching another episode of this nonsense.

DB_Cooper said:
    the entire marketing campaign for Terriers was way off. .

Yeah. I think Shawn Ryan has said as much. A really poor gamble.

• I've been down with Donal Logue since Tao of Steve! That guy rules! Does anyone here know if he's related to Anna Logue?