Massive news out of the Vatican (no joke)

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
This will end up saving scores of lives. It's a refreshing turn of events.

And, hey: it only took them hundreds of years and a tower of bodies to begin to end their systematic lies.

Comments

• that is indeed pretty frickin' big news...never thought it would happen in my lifetime

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I think it just shows out of touch the catholic church is with the real world. It took them this long to approve this ?
    And yeah its built on the back of thousands of dead in places like South Africa and South America.

• Yeah, but what are their views on getting blowjobs from young boys?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    iron_monkey said:
    Yeah, but what are their views on getting blowjobs from young boys?

Explain young.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Most important announcement from the Catholic Church in at least 20 years.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    gotta get that money. Anti-condom stance doesn't bring in the dollars like it used to.

The Pope talks to God. God must've changed his mind. Oh wait. Nevermind.

Wait another 20 years and your kids will be heralding Pope Bieber's decision to allow gay dudes to use condoms as SUPER EPIC ETC...

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    whoa I just read that he's cool with gay male prostitutes using condoms (did I also read about one of his minions being caught with a gay and male prostitute?--hmm), but still not with a straight HIV positive male wearing one to protect his HIV-negative wife?

Pope talks to God, I mean who am I to say...but that's craze, pope!

The Pope can suck it. Bareback. Gimme a break.

/Sinead

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Thanks for posting...

Right now (and by no means is this my official stance on the matter....I'm totally ignorant to this whole shit), I feel like "why is any Catholic really giving a shit about waiting to see if the Catholic church is cool with condoms". To me, if you are a Catholic (I'm not religious at all) you already admit that sex out of wedlock is a sin. So why are you deferring to the church about the "best/safest" way to sin. It seems like saying "I'm going to commit murder and I'm going to do it with a gun" and waiting for the Pope to say "wear ear plugs". I mean clearly it's a shitty example but it's the only one I can compare it to now (cuz my am simple). But, my point is, why are you looking to the Church to tell you the "best/safest" way to sin?

No disrespect to Catholics or anyone who has felt the wrath of the fucked up consequences of the Catholic Church's lack of endorsement of jimmy hats.

• Options
    Sorry, but this "major announcement" stinks to high heaven because of the phrase "SOLE USE."

It's not like they're encourgaing the use of condoms in any way. They're just saying they're okay when the only reason for using them is AIDS prevention, which could just mean when one partner is already knowingly infected.

I was raised Catholic and this just doesn't seem like anything close to a major shift to me. It seems like the worst sort of dodge. That doesn't mean proponents of condom use shouldn't run with it.

I'd also withhold judgment before the official Dingbattus Proclamatus is issued.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    ^ Yet the slope has just become slipperier than (insert obvious pederasty joke here). This is the gateway hug.

First the planet Pluto, then the doctrine of Limbo, now condoms in the church. My world is upside down now. What's next? Dick Van Dyke saved from a watery grave by porpoises?

• JectWon said:
    Thanks for posting...

Right now (and by no means is this my official stance on the matter....I'm totally ignorant to this whole shit), I feel like "why is any Catholic really giving a shit about waiting to see if the Catholic church is cool with condoms". To me, if you are a Catholic (I'm not religious at all) you already admit that sex out of wedlock is a sin. So why are you deferring to the church about the "best/safest" way to sin. It seems like saying "I'm going to commit murder and I'm going to do it with a gun" and waiting for the Pope to say "wear ear plugs". I mean clearly it's a shitty example but it's the only one I can compare it to now (cuz my am simple). But, my point is, why are you looking to the Church to tell you the "best/safest" way to sin?

No disrespect to Catholics or anyone who has felt the wrath of the fucked up consequences of the Catholic Church's lack of endorsement of jimmy hats.

Except that - correct me if I'm wrong - this will also affect the availability of condoms in certain areas via Catholic missions. The Church might be the sole arbiter of whether or not some people can even get condoms. I guess we take it for granted living in North America, but there are still some very isolated, remote regions of the world where if something goes down, the only aid forthcoming might be a Catholic [or other Christian] mission.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts

Except that - correct me if I'm wrong - this will also affect the availability of condoms in certain areas via Catholic missions. The Church might be the sole arbiter of whether or not some people can even get condoms. I guess we take it for granted living in North America, but there are still some very isolated, remote regions of the world where if something goes down, the only aid forthcoming might be a Catholic [or other Christian] mission.

Damn...didn't know that.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    JectWon said:
    Thanks for posting...

I think the contraception ban extends to married people as well, so it would concern them, too.

• Options
    As I thought, nothing has changed.

"The Vatican on Sunday cautioned that there is nothing "revolutionary" in Pope Benedict XVI's startling assertion that condom use in exceptional circumstances can be a responsible act in the fight against the spread of HIV.

The Holy See's chief spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, issued a statement stressing that the pope's comment in a book being published Tuesday neither "reforms or changes" church teaching, which forbids use of condoms and other contraceptives.

Neither was Benedict "morally justifying" the unbridled exercise of sexuality, Lombardi added.

The pope maintains that condom use to lessen the danger of infection is a "first assumption of responsibility," the statement said, quoting from the book.

"The reasoning of the pope cannot certainly be defined as a revolutionary turn," the spokesman said.

The pope spoke in an interview given to a German journalist. Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano on Saturday published excerpts from the book, "Light of the World," three days ahead of publication.

In the interview, Benedict says that in certain cases, such as for a male prostitute, condom use could be a first step in assuming moral responsibility for stemming the spread of the virus that causes AIDS.

Lombardi noted that the pope emphasized the church's main advice in the fight against AIDS ??? sexual abstinence and fidelity among married couples. He cited Benedict's words that the church "of course does not regard it (condom use) as a real or moral solution."

"With this, the pope isn't reforming or changing the teaching of the church, but reaffirming it, putting it in the context of the value and the dignity of human sexuality as expression of love and responsibility," the spokesman said."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/21/vatican-pope-condoms-aids_n_786526.html

The Church doesn't give a shit, in other words.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    JectWon said:
    Thanks for posting...

Kind of reminds me of when the Catholic Church came out with their stance on nuclear weapons in the late 70s or early 80s. The church spent months researching nukes and had a panel of scientist and weapons experts.
    I went to hear Daniel Barrigan and Daniel Ellsburg talk about the decree which was big news at the time.
    Ellsburg talked for about an hour. He compared to the bomb to the fire bombing of Tokyo and Dresden, he talked about types of bombs, he talked about the relative morality of people who develop weapons.... on and on. Very interesting.
    When he was done Barring got up and basically said;
    Why the hell does the Church need to ask scientists and weapons experts about the bomb.
    Their position should be No Nukes, No Where.
    And he sat down.