The HIGHEST $ you've seen (or heard) a record sell

cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
an FB friend posted a link to a wordpress blog featuring the "top 10 most valuable records." they have a signed OG double fantasy as the big seller at $585K. the number 10 on the list? the hornets i can't believe 78 selling for $25k.

this list seems small in scope, what are the big whales you've seen set sail?

Comments

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    This isn't no where near what this list is talking but I had a few sealed copies of the "random rap grail" Sparrow "Physics" and the first time I listed one it sold for $1425.00. That just seemed like a big deal for a record that I had numerous sealed copies of and also knew the artist personally.

Also, I remember a few years ago when a Velvet Underground acetate surfaced, it was a friend of a friend that found it and sold that shit for some unGodly amount that I'm sure has been mentioned on here.

• Breez said:
    This isn't no where near what this list is talking but I had a few sealed copies of the "random rap grail" Sparrow "Physics" and the first time I listed one it sold for $1425.00. That just seemed like a big deal for a record that I had numerous sealed copies of and also knew the artist personally.

Also, I remember a few years ago when a Velvet Underground acetate surfaced, it was a friend of a friend that found it and sold that shit for some unGodly amount that I'm sure has been mentioned on here.

The VU acetate went for 25K in a botched ebay sale.

It could have gone for about double that, if properly handled.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I traded that Sparrow record away for a fucking UNKLE 12". Woe is me.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Do signed records really count, though? You're paying, in part, for the signature and the context.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    since double fantasy is a dollar bin record the sale price represents the value of the autographs not vinyl.

• LaserWolf said:
    since double fantasy is a dollar bin record the sale price represents the value of the autographs not vinyl.

The Double Fantasy went that high because of the autograph and the historic value. It was Chapman's copy that he had Lennon sign shortly before he assassinated him. The album was used during the court proceedings.

• Reynaldo said:
    Do signed records really count, though? You're paying, in part, for the signature and the context.

Agreed. I could have an Andy Warhol signed trash can lid and no one would pay bank for it if it was just some nasty lid.

• An unplayed Elvis "that's alright" 45 did around 16k a few years back

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I would have to think ANY signed copies of Double Fantasy are incredibly rare, since it had only been out for around 3 weeks when Lennon was murdered.

• Reynaldo said:

this is a great point, i agree

• hip hop related, I know someone who sold a copy of Equidity Funk for $5000......

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Question for those in the know: we all marvel at eBay prices but I'm wondering if there are private market transactions that dwarf those on eBay? I"m assuming "yes".

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Absolutely. I'd say the most serious, hardcore collectors are buying/trading for most of their pieces well outside of eBay.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    spelunk said:
    Absolutely. I'd say the most serious, hardcore collectors are buying/trading for most of their pieces well outside of eBay.

Ive always imagined that there is an OG Sealed AND signed copy of this

that sells amongst private collectors every few years for big $.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

• luck said:

Maybe the most valuable soul 45, but it looks like it's been passed in other genres.

• Breez said:

I THINK THAT VELVET UNDERGROUND RECORD WENT FOR AROUND $110,000.

• cuthbert151 said:

not quite, but still, not bad ;)

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=300060897304

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    I traded that Sparrow record away for a fucking UNKLE 12". Woe is me.

Now there's a thread unto itself: Trades you regret.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Risingson said:
    cuthbert151 said:

not quite, but still, not bad ;)

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=300060897304

I think the Frank Wilson went for a little more than that. Around $30,000 is what I recall.

It's conceivable that the VU would have fetched 110,000 if it had been mint and hadn't been booted.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Breez said:

The VU acetate went for 25K in a botched ebay sale.

It could have gone for about double that, if properly handled.

Agreed that the first sale was totally botched but the did the second auction correctly. I'm not sure that it was gonna sell for any more for the reasons that Dan already mentioned. Curious to hear your line of reasoning as to how it might have gone for higher.

• I know the soul/funk 45 is a "recent" phenomena in the world of record collecting...but I wonder if any other record collecting niche has grown in price as much as it has...remember, just 7 years ago, the Arthur Monday shocked people because it went for a unprecedented sum of something like 1,500...tons of soul/funk 45s since then have dwarfed that. Anybody else know of a different style that has done the same/similar?