Roberto Roena appreciation

schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Picked up the above record at Crooked Beat this past weekend. I'd listened to and passed on another one of his Fania LPs before, but enjoyed this quite a bit from a brief needle drop at the listening station. Okay well there is a song on here where everything stops and dude who is singing, I forget which dude, is likePRA CA TA PRA CA TA PRA CA TA POO PEE POO PA POO PEE POO PAHand then a huge like wailing wall of dudes comes up and is like PRA CA TA PRA CA TA PRA CA TA[/b]and all of a sudden it's the greatest music I've ever heard.The other day I sat on the steps of my apartment and did the crossword and put this record on and left the door open so I could listen to it. That shit is necessary, okay

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    appreciated. i like the one with the spaceship thing on the cover

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Que Se Sepa, bitches.

• My pops knew him. He played congas all over the city and Jersey in the 60's and 70's so he played with alot of cats, including Ruben Blades and Frankie Ruiz. His Fania collection (record collection period) is ridiculus. I don't speak to him anymore, but I need to just to jack his records. ANYWAY Roberto Roena got mad spins in my house cuz Pops dug the ill congueros the most.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I'm a huge Roberto Roena fan!! I grew up in Puerto Rico and moms use to play his records all the time! Roberto and the Apollo Sound even played at my high school about seven years ago!! Schnipper, I think the vocalist on that track is Mickey Cora, although it might have been Tito Cruz, or Papo Sanchez (Roberto recorded with a lot of different vocalists). He has a lot of great LP's, vols. 1- 5 on Fania International are, in my opinion, the best. His sole LP on Alegre is real hot too!!!

another highly slept on classic is Vol. 2!

Yo soy candelon, yo doy candela
    Los guapos de aqui me prenden vela!!!!!!!!!!!