The Stepkids

SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
I'm spinning at a show these guys are playing tomorrow night. I've only caught one song live at a local festival a few months ago ... I was pretty blown away. They're basically retro Yacht rock, but it's actually damned tasteful IMHO. The guitar player spent a couple of years playing for Alicia Keys. Word is Stones Throw just snatched 'em up.

Comments

• shit yeah dude, that was wicked, video was super trippy hate to drop acid and watch that...lol, dope track too i was hoping someone was gonna bust out the scene and spit a verse, but it stood nicely on its own..

never heard of em before...sounds like its going to be a dope show!

• Looks like they're opening for Aloe Blacc tonight in New York (actually they're probably playing as I type this).

The show I'm spinning is at a small space in New London, CT (they're from New Haven). They're the only band, so I'll get to spin most of the night. Should be fun. Last time I saw them they had astronaut costumes. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in a small indoor space.

It's funny, I'm not usually into hippie lightshow BS, but these guys seem to do it right. And, musically, this band could so very easily dip into jam band horsesh*t, but they appear to purposefully avoid it. When I saw them last, there was a segment where most guitarists would've ripped a long solo, and he just kept rocking one chord in an almost Krautrock fashion. Tasteful bastards.