Pulp

spoonieteespoonietee 110 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
School me on pulp fiction. What are your favorites? Classics of the genre? Where should I start? I feel like this is something I could get into and it sounds like some of you's guys know your stuff. Thanks!

Comments

• ??bump?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    what do you mean by pulp fiction?

the actual pulp magazines, like Black Mask and Dime Detective?

or paperback original authors like Jim Thompson and Charles Willeford?

or hardboiled detective writers like Raymond Chandler & Dashiell Hammett?

let's see.

detective fiction:

Chandler
    Hammett
    Wade Miller (the Max Thursday stories)
    Harold Browne
    Ross MacDonald
    A.A. Fair (alias for Erle Stanley Gardner)

crime fiction/thrillers:

Thompson
    Willeford
    David Goodis
    W.R. Burnett
    Chester Himes
    Cornell Woolrich
    David Dodge
    Harry Whittington

if you tell me what you are looking for, or something you have read that you liked, I can make more specific recommendations.

• SoulOnIce said:
    what do you mean by pulp fiction?

the actual pulp magazines, like Black Mask and Dime Detective?

or paperback original authors like Jim Thompson and Charles Willeford?

or hardboiled detective writers like Raymond Chandler & Dashiell Hammett?

let's see.

detective fiction:

Chandler
    Hammett
    Wade Miller (the Max Thursday stories)
    Harold Browne
    Ross MacDonald
    A.A. Fair (alias for Erle Stanley Gardner)

crime fiction/thrillers:

Thompson
    Willeford
    David Goodis
    W.R. Burnett
    Chester Himes
    Cornell Woolrich
    David Dodge
    Harry Whittington

if you tell me what you are looking for, or something you have read that you liked, I can make more specific recommendations.

cosine on all the above. Thompson great fun but gets repetitive. love woolrich. would argue chandler is greatest american author of 20th including hemingway. don't forget james m. cain - mildred pierce, postman rings twice, and doubld indemnity.

• and mickey spillane

In 1980, Spillane was responsible for seven of the top 15 all-time best-selling fiction titles in the U.S.

in-fucking-credible

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    If you want modern pulp, I totally ride for James Ellroy. Start with "American Tabloid"

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'd also holler at some John D. Macdonald, Erle Stanley Gardner if you want to get all Perry Mason, and David Markson for Epitaph for a Dead Beat and Epitaph for a Tramp.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Jarvis Cocker FTW

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    Jarvis Cocker FTW

Ha! My first thought on seeing this thread was that we had finally reached that stage on the Strut that the only artists left for appreciation threads were of the brit pop variety. Always had major issues with the group despite both the band and Cocker obviously being intelligent and talented musicians. Something insultingly smug and overly knowing about them. I will say however that I have a soft spot for this one track. Great attempt at capturing those ever so special teenage moments. Shits all over the chin stroking stuff:

As far as authors go, Hammett is the mutts nuts.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    was this thread started by a spambot or something? after it got response he disappeared.

anyway, this thread brought me good luck, because the day after it appeared I went by one of my once-rich but lately bone-dry spots for "pulp fiction" and they had just purchased a huge collection, all displayed on a special new bookcase at the front of the store. my heart skipped a beat! the pbo collector's version of walking into a record store and being told you are first to see the collection of soul 45's they just purchased:

• was this thread started by a spambot or something? after it got response he disappeared.[/img]

Ha! I've been away from the interwebs a minute. A few developments, though. Just got back from the library, snagged "The Big Sleep", excited to get into it today. Also, it turns out there's a shop here in Ann Arbor called Aunt Agatha's that deals in "new and used fiction, detection, and true crime stories." Will be making a trip today and of course I'll post finds if I come home with anything which I assumed I will. Thanks everybody!