ELP Laser Turntable

cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central

http://elpj.com/main.html

The performance of the Laser Turntable means "No Needle, No Wear ???." The LT features an absolutely contact-free optical pickup system. Play a record thousands of times with no damage to the record. Get the same sparkling sound on the thousandth play as on the first play.

The Laser Turntable allows you to...

- Play your Vinyl Records without damaging them.
- Discover great new analog sound in your Vinyl Records.
- Play damaged Records with better results than a needle.
- Have the convenience, control, and safety of playing Vinyl Records just like a modern CD player (the record is contained inside the machine, and with a remote control you can click to play any track while the LT tells you the elapsed & remaining times).

FIVE (!) laser beams

Comments

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    I remember a similar player was posted a couple years back. Word is that records will only play if they're the mintiest of minty... I don't know that I would cop either way.

• Only $14k.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Yeah, people have been discussing the ELP on this board for years but despite its theoretical flaws or advantages I've never actually met anyone who's had their hands on the actual device. My guess is that anyone who shelled out thousands of dollars for one of these is probably too embarrassed to admit it due to shitty performance.

If you've missed any earlier threads, there was a project at Berkeley Lawrence Berkeley National Lab using 2D and 3D optical scans and physical modeling that actually seems to do an interesting job in preserving recorded sound:
    IRENE Sound Resotoration

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My friend had an older one, I did not like the motorized cueing aspect to it. I like to drop the needle exactly where i wanna, not pretty much where i wanna. Also, this made needle dropping atrocious.

• damn man, i dont know if any machine/device/contraption is worth $14,000 for playing records....then again it has gone down in price to $10,710 US, but still...

Plays Warped and Rippled Records (up to 5mm deviation)
    In some cases, the LT plays even broken records when all the pieces are placed on a tray without tape or glue.
    even this has some coolness factor to it...but not for what their asking for it...

imagine the "trainwrecks/boots in the dryer" mixes you would blast out with dualies of these things...lol

• For a second there, I thought this would be something somehow related to El P. Lazerfaces and such (pause).

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    dollar_bin said:

If you've missed any earlier threads, there was a project at Berkeley Lawrence Berkeley National Lab using 2D and 3D optical scans and physical modeling that actually seems to do an interesting job in preserving recorded sound:
    IRENE Sound Resotoration

I believe the IRENE is at the Library of Congress' A/V Conservation center now. It's an amazing machine, but I've heard they're still working out kinks.