Listen to my French Caribbean afrolatin mix

JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central

Ti Punch, s'il vous plait by DJ Markus-Seta

A mix I just finished, featuring only records from the French Antilles, Guadeloupe and Martinique. I bought all of these during my year in French Guiana. Have a listen and let me know what you think!

Comments

• Great mix! Must have been good to dig in Guyane - some good stuff from there... Is the Raymond Cicault from an LP or 45? I found the LP on Maison de Merengues in Martinique a few years ago but without a cover and pretty thrashed - didn't know if there was a 45 as well...And the Roger Jaffory is very tough - Max Cilla started in Orchestre Cachunga, there are a couple of great Pachanga's with him on flute.
    Great selection!

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Listening to it right now.
    Very cool mix!
    Many thanks for sharing it, JazzSucka.

• sofrito said:
    Great mix! Must have been good to dig in Guyane - some good stuff from there... Is the Raymond Cicault from an LP or 45? I found the LP on Maison de Merengues in Martinique a few years ago but without a cover and pretty thrashed - didn't know if there was a 45 as well...And the Roger Jaffory is very tough - Max Cilla started in Orchestre Cachunga, there are a couple of great Pachanga's with him on flute.
    Great selection!

Glad you are liking it!

Raymond Cicault is from an EP on Maison de Merengues. Really trashed and recorded low, so not much play out potential there. i guess there exists a sleeve for it, but it was missing unfortunately.

There is an other Orchestra Cachunga 45, which is even better than the one featured here. Seems to be really hard to find. Max Cilla's solo LP Flute des Mornes from 81 is very beautiful as well.

Digging in Guyane was not easy at all, but I managed to find some good stuff there. Best Guyanese record for me is the Josy Mass LP Fanm.

• yes great stuff - Have never seen the EP with that track on it, the LP is heavy - a mixture of Compas, Guaracha and Cha Cha, one microphone in a room style - Raymond Cicault was Weber Sicot's brother, he recorded a bunch of records for labels in Martinique in the early days - all dodgy recordings as far as I know...

I've got a couple of Orchestre Cachunga 45's on HIt Parade and a later 45 from Roger Jaffory that isn't as strong - it's a pity they didn't record more! That Max Cilla LP is great too...

Don't know the Josy Masse LP will check it out, thanks for the tip - the carnival stuff from Guyane is pretty heavy!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Thanks for posting, listening now... Good Antilles stuff is hard to turn up in non-thrashed shape in NYC, compared to all the other Latin/Caribbean stuff you find here.