James Mtume Destroys Jazz Critic Stanley Crouch in a Debate about Miles Davis

124»

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    I'm no jazz head or Miles expert so please let me know if I'm misunderstanding something about this thread....

A young musical genius expands and defines a deeply artistic and non-commercial segment of the musical genre "Jazz".

He is embraced by a different generation / demographic of more mainstream listeners that carries him through the 60's and into the 70's.

In an attempt to sell records / make $$$ / reach a new audience / etc. this genius covers crappy pop songs of the day.

And people are debating which of these three periods is better and/or more influential.

Do I understand this correctly??

Sadly you are completely lost.

Genius who consistently pushed the bounds of his field, reinvents himself in the late 60s using electric instruments in a largely acoustic field.

Said genius makes two wonderful records using electric instruments that prove to be a break through in the genre and provide the basis for enrollment in music schools for the next 40 years.

Genius continues with electric music, making almost a dozen unlistenable recordings before retiring to his lair for half a decade.

Genius emerges from his self-imposed exile to make another dozen records which no one cares enough about to even discuss.

• arXarX 12 Posts
    Seems like it was a great debate (if you were there) but I can't stand dishonest video editors who tear out a big chunk of discourse for the sake of their biased views. No matter how much I may dislike a particular debater, I still want to hear his or her argument in full.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    As a deep Miles Davis fan I would really like to chime in here, but won't. I will however leave you with a quote from Eugene Chadbourne (All Music Guide) which always makes me smile:
    "On drums, it is Stanley Crouch, who is simply crummy. His decision to quit playing drums is offered up as proof that he has done at least one good thing for the jazz community."
    lol