A Testament to Character on Soul Strut

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited August 2005 in Soul Strut
I'd been in communication with homie 99Problems about some recommendations of underappreciated/good albums for cheap and put a little list together for him. He asked me to grab a copy of Deniece Williams' "Free" and he would Paypal me for the package.

Cool.

But, the day before I boxed it up, I came across a good copy of Donny Hathaway "Live" that he had really been on the hunt for. Several others that I had been seen recently while keeping an eye out for him were busted.

I thought about letting him know in advance and asking for a little bit more dough, but nah... So I decided to sneak it in the package and bill it as a surprise.

Today, I get the PM:
just wanted to let you know....[/b]

Deniece Williams is good, but Donny Hathaway is for the children. I'm lovin' life.

Thanks for being that dude.

And keep on eye on your mail.
Then I get the package:

I had casually mentioned that this is one Curtis/Impressions that I've stupidly passed on a few times, but needed for my collection. It also happened to be one that 99Problems recently won on eBay!

Dr*w, you did NOT have to do that!!! But that's LOVE. A public Thank You.

Please follow this post with stories about good deeds people on here have done for you or others, just for the sake of good will.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    almost everyone of my better funk/soul/private press records have either been given to me or suggested by a fellow seattle strutter... the hommie since 4th grade. i trade him my wasp removal services, and occasional rides in my dope whip.

plus... hcrick sent me a ton of cool indie stuff he did, when i had one post.

..and anyone who received one of AP's mellowstyle samplers knows who's the boss.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I ordered a record off a longtime Strutter's (I hesistate to use the name as I don't want anyone to try to pull one over on him) list- he sent and I never received it. A few weeks later he volunteers to send another copy, which is received... I thought that was very dude though, to say the least... this wasn't a $10 (or $20) record either...

• Johmbolaya once mailed me a Gary Burton "Good Vibes," postage covered and everything, just because he found an extra one and didn't need it. This was back in the in/flux days, but I ain't forgot homie.

Deepbrnt regularly tosses extra records into trades, on the strength.

Shit, MANY folks on here have shown character above and beyond.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Please follow this post with stories about good deeds people on here have done for you or others, just for the sake of good will.

I've got nothing but appreciation and good things to say about the following headz:

Guzzo

undertheradar

DJFerrari

danceonamerica

for providing this lil' dude solid Moder(n) Soul trades...In the case of Guzzo, dude sent RAER MP3's free of charge!

and

AnthonyPearson for expanding my mind with the New Age and Folk CD-r!

SG

DCastillo recently drove into chicago to meet up on a sunday when he was supposed to be visiting his granny, dropped a handful of ill Curio 45s, a copy of the current SS frontpage mix and a stock copy of the Capprells' "Close your eyes" b/w "Walk on By" 45, then barrelled downtown to the jazz mart for digs.

Like checking into a hotel and there's a twentypoundfruitbasket of braekbeatraer.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I'd been in communication with homie 99Problems about some recommendations of underappreciated/good albums for cheap and put a little list together for him. He asked me to grab a copy of Deniece Williams' "Free" and he would Paypal me for the package.

Cool.

But, the day before I boxed it up, I came across a good copy of Donny Hathaway "Live" that he had really been on the hunt for. Several others that I had been seen recently while keeping an eye out for him were busted.

I thought about letting him know in advance and asking for a little bit more dough, but nah... So I decided to sneak it in the package and bill it as a surprise.

Today, I get the PM:

Deniece Williams is good, but Donny Hathaway is for the children. I'm lovin' life.

Then I get the package:

I had casually mentioned that this is one Curtis/Impressions that I've stupidly passed on a few times, but needed for my collection. It also happened to be one that 99Problems recently won on eBay!

He's a Vermonter. People are nice up here.

But yo, Drew. I must say I'm shocked man. You didn't have Donny Hathaway LIVE? That shit is like a double must baby step record. Put the Yvonne Gray down and get your classics under control.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Reynaldo sent me a free copy of Les McCann layers just cause I inquired about it.

Dude is beyond dude

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    legend once sent me a free original NM copy of Gordon's War and he included some freebies in his payment once! He's awesome! Soulstrut ain't nuthin' but love...

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    As you know, my niece was in town for the last 8 days. I told sweendog we were going to the beach and asked if he was gonna be around. "Uncle Sweendog" picked us up at the train station (listening to missbassie's mix), drove us to a beach that he made sure had a lifeguard on duty, collected a bunch of seashells for my niece, gave us a history lesson of the area, showed us Public Enemy's neighborhood, pointed out Lindsey Lohan's neighborhood, and drove us back to the train (listening to dCastillo's mix) after a day of fun in the sun.

Total above and beyond. Sweendog is super down for the kids.

Who's ready for ice cream and kegstands?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Great thread.

People here have passed/sold amazing music to me (soulrez, davesrecords, SonicReducer, Jonny/Good Records, Vanguard Squad), sent me fantastic CD mixes (HAZ), surprise records, comic books and 45s (HAZ, sweengod, moroccomole, Soul on Ice), CD copies of things they sold me (wihlsun) and gave me fabulous mixes with the incredible stories that inspired them (Bam).

I'm an idiot if I forgot anyone, so please remind me.

People have also PMed me to say very kind things, to warn me about creeps and to say ???forget about that fool??? and other very supportive things when folks were not very nice or civil.

In the real world ??? HAZ was the host with the most for my stay in Montreal and is easy-breezey to hang with, DOR buys me drinks and makes me laugh a lot, Moss blew my mind with fantastic DVDs, some 12s and a lot of good stories thrown in for good measure. And well, KL, to use his words, is my partner in crime and was so before I even got here and will probably be after I leave.

I actually gush about this place and the people I???ve met to some folks and they???re skeptical, but I know, so that???s all that really matters.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Right back at ya Supergood...

Dude went above and beyond the call of duty in a CD-R trade. In fact, I felt bad about the quantity of music I sent you after I received your package. Some killer stuff... especially that 100% Pure Poison. Damn that's some shit!

Btw, what did you think of the Jewel and Greyship Daviz?

DJ Ferrari

• people say selfishness is an inate human trait but I think unselfishness is more.

btw if you need another copy of that impressions i know where to get a copy.

Right back at ya Supergood...

Btw, what did you think of the Jewel and Greyship Daviz?

DJ Ferrari

Pure - The Jewel was very EWF-like, which is a positive in my book...and that Greyship Daviz was some boogie HEAT! Many MANY thankz!

SG

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Shig hooked me a copy of the Casual v. Saafir battle on a complete volunteer basis.

He approached me.

Probably the only way this east coast strutter would ever be able to hear it.

Big THANKS, MAN!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Drewn has been the guy looking out for others for many moons, so small surprise that we look out for you, my friend.

In addition to Drewn, Johnbolya and Fatback and MsDamn and Bam are others who have come through for me personally with the good stuff, and I hope I can look out for them and others in the future. Feel the love!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    undertheradar is that dude, too.

He PM'd me on my in-thread request for an Al Johnson LP and then proceeded to knock back the price I offered to pay on a minty copy AND threw some CDs in the mix.

I got real "Peaceful" last night...

Thanks mang!

Cool.

Today, I get the PM:

Then I get the package:

Drew is real good people No Doubt...I traded him a record and threw in some xtras, next thing I know he's Pming me about what kind of movies my kids like so he can send a "care package"

nothing but love!

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    undertheradar is that dude, too.

YES!!! Sent me a start up disk for my sampler in under an hour from my post.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Great thread.

Hcrink, thanks for the Bobby Brown private beach dude record, I owe you one. Oh, and the Rusty Like lp- love it.
    beardedD- favorite dude to trade with ever,trading 8 records at a time and shit. I'll send you some rackords off tomorrow morn.
    AP- rad mix cd
    Hook Up- lookin forward to the rad mix cd's
    magical jackson- are we even yet for the mo wax headz boxes, I got yr back hommie.
    gir- thanks for the Al Johnson- peaceful
    twoply- can't get enough of that Temprees- lovemen lp, dope shit
    JP- truce, sorry I'm an ass sometimes, thanks for the Clarence Reid lp
    Young Patrick and Young Adam- solid trades dudes
    mylatency- thanks for the Jandek facemelter hommie
    missbassie- you're a okay in my book
    whoever else I forgot sorry. soulstrut rules!

Drew is real good people No Doubt...I traded him a record and threw in some xtras, next thing I know he's Pming me about what kind of movies my kids like so he can send a "care package"

nothing but love!

99Problems Drew...just to clarify.

I still luhdakids tho, no doubt!

Great thread.

Hcrink, thanks for the Bobby Brown private beach dude record, I owe you one. Oh, and the Rusty Like lp- love it.
    beardedD- favorite dude to trade with ever,trading 8 records at a time and shit. I'll send you some rackords off tomorrow morn.
    AP- rad mix cd
    Hook Up- lookin forward to the rad mix cd's
    magical jackson- are we even yet for the mo wax headz boxes, I got yr back hommie.[/b]
    gir- thanks for the Al Johnson- peaceful
    twoply- can't get enough of that Temprees- lovemen lp, dope shit
    JP- truce, sorry I'm an ass sometimes, thanks for the Clarence Reid lp
    Young Patrick and Young Adam- solid trades dudes
    mylatency- thanks for the Jandek facemelter hommie
    missbassie- you're a okay in my book
    whoever else I forgot sorry. soulstrut rules!
    even? hmm... lemme think about it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Gotta give a shout to my man Shing-a-Ling, he saw me babbling on a weekend finds thread about how awesome a Jackie Lee 45 he copped was and that I was jealous, and dude PM-ed me right away to let me know there were more, and hooked me up, as well as including a copy of his killer Memphis Gospel mix in the package, which is in heavy rotation in le whip - especially on those Sunday AM drives!

Now, A*dre*, what about my "Readings In Astrology" 45?!?![/b]

Also, gotta give it up one more time to TREW and the breakz-4-dayz crew, my second week post-lurk I "won" his contest to name their new store/operation (even though I only provided "inspiration" for the eventual name), and he hit me off with $50 credit at B4D, which I parlayed into a Clarence Reid LP I had been after forever, and a Chocolate Milk LP, too! Word!

I've also had nice transactions the other way to do my part - helped out Drewn with a Roy Ayers LP (oh, the chaos I caused with THAT one!), and just had a nice transaction with Miss B that gave me the benefit of receiving many kind words from her via PM just for selling her a dupe I had (noprofit)...Now if TheMack still wants his Free Design LP, I can continue giving back!

Also, gotta give it up one more time to TREW and the breakz-4-dayz crew

True dat. breakz4dayz are dude when it comes to internet vinyl sales...super accurate grading, reasonable prices, and superlative packaging. Appreciated!

SG

I've also had nice transactions the other way to do my part - helped out Drewn with a Roy Ayers LP (oh, the chaos I[/b] caused with THAT one)

That what you call a transaction.

I owe you big dude, that's for sure.

Oh and what about all the dudes sending out all the singles and mixes for free??? Damn yawl, thanks x 1 million:

DJ Styles

Phill Most

edpowers

anthonypearson

jinx

etc

Oh and what about all the dudes sending out all the singles and mixes for free??? Damn yawl, thanks x 1 million:

DJ Styles
    Phill Most
    edpowers
    anthonypearson
    jinx

etc

Add:

Al Garth

&

Cosmo for that Love Break Mix, dude didn't have to put it out that like that for everybody, but he did. It's always my "overtime" soundtrack. Helps me kick it into gear when I'd rather bounce the fuck out of work.

oh and rapedonkeys too

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Sorry fellows, but nothing will ever top crinky sending my taxidermy in the mail (and we're not talking squirrels, either, but a majestic goose and a noble pheasant).

Nothing but love...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    a majestic goose

More:

Birdman for the Grant Green Christmas present

T*ny (2X3X) from Philly for bringing over records for me and letting me get nosy and poke through his crates. And for the patties, those were bangin'.

Guzzo for the Electric Mud and two additional LPs he sent on the strength (I need to get at you about those).

M*rk Latency for the Bob James trade, next time you are in town we will wax poetic about BBWs, I just forgot.

+ So many others, you know who you are!