Kid Koala live at the Do Over (Halloween)

meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
Basically, he wins.

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    :melt:

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    meistromoco said:
    Basically, he wins.

In-freakin-deed.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    all day! what a guy.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    one of the most creative,ambitious and prolific artists from our fair city
    yet THE most humble
    major props

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    truth sans doute

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    furthermore he is performing with yo-gabbagabba

• WOW. Who has a link to the full audio?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    :woah: :beerbang:

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    And no headphones.

• TheeeCasualMale said:
    WOW. Who has a link to the full audio?

They usually do a recap on the do-over blog a couple of weeks after each event. And usually, but not always, they post the live audio. No recap for Halloween yet, though. Fingers crossed.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I can remember first seeing Eric in the mid 90's competing for Canadian DMC champ. He didn't win, but without a doubt made the biggest impression that day on everyone in the crowd. In my list of fav Dj's.

I've always been curious if the OG Scratchcratchratchatch tape goes for any coin. I know a few hundred were originally done. And even thought it was released on a 10". The mix was a little different than the OG tape (And not as good IMO). Anyone know if the re-issue of the tape and different than the OG tape?

I GOTTA ROCK~

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DOR said:
    I can remember first seeing Eric in the mid 90's competing for Canadian DMC champ. He didn't win, but without a doubt made the biggest impression that day on everyone in the crowd. In my list of fav Dj's.

I've always been curious if the OG Scratchcratchratchatch tape goes for any coin. I know a few hundred were originally done. And even thought it was released on a 10". The mix was a little different than the OG tape (And not as good IMO). Anyone know if the re-issue of the tape and different than the OG tape?

I GOTTA ROCK~

I still have that OG tape (and yes, the versions on the 10" are inferior, though still good)--was just thinking the other day that I need to digitize it or something. It's pretty much the only turntablist tape I still get an urge to listen to.

Also: I opened up for him in SF back in 2003 or so. He did an amazing mix set (three turntables, no headphones), then started doing some of his more famous routines--the Monty Python one, "Drunk Trumpet," "Moon River," etc. Some dude in the front kept screaming out requests, and finally, Kid Koala pulled him up on stage and said, "We're going to have a staring contest now. If you win, I'll do the routine you want. If I win, you have to be quiet and let me do my thing."

So they have a staring contest. The dude blinks. The entire club cheers. Koala continues his (amazing) set.

The moral of the story: Kid Koala always wins.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Met him once late night in a bar in LES a few years ago. Dude was super nice, chill, humble, and then was like "Hey I'm a big fan of yours." I was like dude you're Kid Koala hahah. Awesome dude and that's a fun routine.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    crazed -- definitely wasnt expecting to hear My First Song thrown in the mix...

• i remember him ripping it up regularly in mtl during the 90's. he was bar none the best dj in a city that was teeming full of scratch dj's (A-track was a distant 2nd). for all his skill and creativity and all the people that were constantly sucking up to him, etc.. he was one of the most humble, good-natured, well-adjusted dudes around.

you always got the sense with him that he was just loving what he was doing and that made it all the more infectious. glad to see he is still on fire.

• I opened for him a few years ago in DC and had dinner with him before the show. Really nice dude and down to earth. I guess he grew up in the DC area and told me about DJing at this sketchy DC club when he was like 16. They had to sneak him in through the back because he looked so young.

Anyway, it's probably not fair to call him a "turntablist" cause dude is in a league of his own, but he's definitely the only one I pay attention to these days.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    he released an album based on a comic book he wrote and drew
    hes had a show with an orchestra and 4 turntables
    gabbagabba!
    man many musician artist dreams in one stride (and still going)
    my dream MTL barnight would feat skatch bastid,ATRAK,Koala sponsored by mcauslan

• super ill! the one time i saw him here in Halifax, it was just like this, off the meat hook and blazing hot, it musta been dam hot in that suit, but you gotta love those floppy ear when he gets rocking..

awesome!

• I love that comic book/CD. It's a "silent" movie in comic book form about a robot in love. You're supposed to listen to the CD while "reading" the book. Kid Koala did the music and artwork. Very cute and charming.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    pcmr said:

my dream MTL barnight would feat skatch bastid,ATRAK,Koala sponsored by poutine

• DJ_Enki said:
    I still have that OG tape .

• Saw him on the lawn at Carnegie Mellon on a beautiful spring night. Great show, aside from the b-boys who wouldn't leave me and my friends alone trying to get us to join them (never mind that none of us can actually break in any capacity)