HELP, I’m DJing An Odd Wedding...

2»

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

young girl "Do you have the Barbie song"
    "Sorry I don't even know what that is."

how were you NOT rocking doubles of THAT?

Doh!!!!!!!

She had a couple other requests that

1. Made me fell old.

2. Made me feel better about the stuff I listen to at her age.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

All of these questions were followed by a look as if I had just personally insulted them and demonstrated that I'm the lamest DJ ever for not having this stuff.

This is a fact of DJing in general, but weddings in particular. Prepare to have at least one guest attempt to make you feel like you have no bizness being a DJ.
    They will say this to your face, because some wedding guests are dicks who think that a friend's wedding is their own private party and that they have paid you.

They will say this to your face, because some wedding guests are dicks who think that a friend's wedding is their own private party and that they have paid you.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The good news is that at least one person at any wedding will think you are the greatest DJ they have ever heard, probably because they are drunk and that hot bridesmaid is actually responding to their drunken advances, so life is good.
    At the same wedding that the dude couldn't wait to tell me how much I sucked, there was a whole group of Frat guys who thought I was awesome for playing 'God Only Knows' while the couple cut the cake. Go fucking figure.

The good news is that at least one person at any wedding will think you are the greatest DJ they have ever heard, probably because they are drunk and that hot bridesmaid is actually responding to their drunken advances, so life is good.

Droppin wedding truth!!!!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    It doesn't matter how hip the person getting married is, they still have a big family that is not into that music. Having said that usually people are in a really good mood and just want to dance like drunken goofballs. So if you can keep them happy them you'll be OK. Bring lots of corney rock and funk like EWF, Brick, and every hit dance song you can think of. People are going to ask for DISCO[/b] and they are going to want to slow dance to a Nora Jones song. BE READY!!!!! I'm not saying go out and buy all that stuff, just have a variety of music with you to keep people happy.

• yikes, that sound potentially harrowing...

i'm dj'ing a wedding this weekend too. usually when people ask me to do a wedding they know what i'm all about from the radio show or whatever, but i still try to talk them out of it by telling them that just because they dig the sounds doesn't mean their guests will. if they're still interested, i tell them i'm willing to play just a few specific requests and if they have more than that i'm probably not the right dj for them. if they're STILL interested then we get serious about it. (i'm polite in discussing all this, needless to say.)

i've been lucky enough never to have had a problem with assholes or idiots in the 15 or so weddings i've dj'd over the past 5 years or so.

oh, one important tip: bring "the clapping song," by shirley ellis. works on the dance floor for all generations, especially little kiddies and middle agers.

good luck.

m

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    yikes, that sound potentially harrowing...

i'm dj'ing a wedding this weekend too. usually when people ask me to do a wedding they know what i'm all about from the radio show or whatever, but i still try to talk them out of it by telling them that just because they dig the sounds doesn't mean their guests will. if they're still interested, i tell them i'm willing to play just a few specific requests and if they have more than that i'm probably not the right dj for them. if they're STILL interested then we get serious about it. (i'm polite in discussing all this, needless to say.)

i've been lucky enough never to have had a problem with assholes or idiots in the 15 or so weddings i've dj'd over the past 5 years or so.

oh, one important tip: bring "the clapping song," by shirley ellis. works on the dance floor for all generations, especially little kiddies and middle agers.

good luck.

m

Finewine knows the time. This problem can be solved by communicating what you are about. Whenever I do a wedding I let people know what my strengths (old school funk/soul) are and where I am not (current pop/country and the like). If they don't like what you are good at, do not take the gig. Once they are on board, shit is easy. People start falling apart when you play Stevie, James and some Sly. Then you through Hard Hands at 'em or my favorite "Iko Iko" Dixiebelles and they started offering you beers and slapping your back.

In addition get paid. $800 for 4hrs, includes any rental. You'd be surprised what people will pay.

• okay, the wedding this past saturday was frickin incredible. beautiful rural spot in the catskills, ceremony on a bluff with mountains and forest all around, party in an old rebuilt barn. party lasted till like 4 a.m....former massachusetts governor w------ w--- was dancing his drunk ass off.
    these went over big:
    the aforementioned shirley ellis "clapping song" (never fails)
    mongo santamaria, "can't get next to you"
    sam and dave, "i thank you"
    otis redding, "shout bamalama"
    eddie bo, "hook and sling"
    nina simone, "brown eyed handsome man"
    ray barretto, "right on"
    mod singers and mod lads, "let's have some fun"
    louis chachere, "the hen"
    bobby bland, "fever"
    supremes, "these boots are made for walking"
    lee dorsey, "yes we can"

they told me beforehand they were gonna have a couple friends of theirs give me periodic breaks by playing led zeppelin, the kinks, tom petty, and so forth on an ipod, which was great, because it was a long, hot party and i needed 15 minutes off here and there, and i think the guests appreciated the break from the soul/funk/latin every now and then too...kept things fresh....

they fed me with everyone else and filled me with booze, too...treated me like a guest even though i'm just a friend of a friend. bless them. weddings can be fine if they treat you like a human being, but i guess you never know exactly what to expect going in....

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Sounds like you and the guests had a rockin' good time, Mr. Finewine. Props, cos that's an occasion they'll never forget.

• thanks...was a fun one...don't think i'll forget it, either...
    m

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    If the crowd is right wedding Djing can be so much fun. At what other job is it ok to be drinking liquor?

Finewine is again on point:

I always play the Peggy Lee "Fever" which doesn't seem like it would work but really does.

"Thank You" is an instant party on plastic. "i want everybody to get out of there seat and give some of that old soul clapping". Shit is so real.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I'm djing a friends wedding on Saturday, I'm a sucker and doing it free for a favor. I know it will be okay once I'm doing it but godamn I already can't wait til it's over. Ugh....

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Bring your a game and those shits will be talking bout you for a while. Finewine has the template.