McRib is Back

2»

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Fake meat doesn't really smell like meat, it smells like fake meat. It lacks that pungent carcass-y smell. If they successfully mimic the carcass smell then I'm not messing with that fake meat.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    Just curious, why are there so many fake meat products for vegetarians? It's kind of perverse. Vegetarianism/veganism is supposed to be a rejection of meat and an embracing of all things vegtable but yet, most of the prepared foods made avaiable are vegtable matter dressed up in meat costumes and sprayed with meat cologne. You don't want meat, but yet you do want it...I don't get it.
    Well, my earlier post in this thread:
    brokenrecord said:

Normally I hate veggie imitation meat. So unnecessary. But the two above are the fast food I love. I should open a restaurant. Are there any fast food restaurants open late for drunk vegetarians after a night out who want to eat grease and sugar, I wonder?

I personally probably eat that type stuff a couple times a year. It's fun. It's junk food. Vegetarians can eat shitty processed food once in a while too if they want.

I don't know anyone who consumes fake meat on a regular basis at all. And, in the scheme of things, I don't think there are 'so many' fake meat products. It's a small section of an immense freezer case where I shop.

Most of my vegetarian friends actually think fake meat's gross. I just thought vegetarian mcribs was funny. And tasty!

Although, I'm not a vegetarian. That's just my take.

• Also, I don't think the real Mcribs from mcdonalds has much to do with actual meat either.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    PICPOST YER MOuLD: I WANNA SEE HOW YOU PRESSED THESE TATERS INTO ILLUSORY RIBS THX

• Is that ^^^ to me? Well, I didn't make the vegetable ribs. Morningstar Farms did.

But, I'm embarrassed to admit I did take pictures. But I often take pictures of my food. Which, is even more embarrassing.

Okay - here's the slab of freshly slaughtered soy/wheat ribs (not too pretty. also not too different looking from the McD's 'ribs' (the plant's lungs were separated from the ribs to be used for vegan haggis)):

The tater fries I made to go with:

The meal:

My actual hobby is making pasta. More like what I usually eat. Here's some pasta I made with liquid from some beets I'd cooked for an earlier meal:

Anyone know how to make goddam corn tortillas? I've been trying for over a year now. Following all sorts of suggestions. And they always suck. I actually broke the tortilla press my mom gave me. This is the best I ever got:

And here's some meat I ate once. I'm totally NOT a connoisseur of steak. I thought this was delicious. But really I'm just posting this to brag - some steak with roasted garlic I ate in Sao Paulo:

Okay, I need to go blog my life elsewhere now....

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    that's the second vegetarian i know that has caved in SaoPaolo

tortilla press and silkier batter

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Beet Pasta =

Vege-McRib = :nagl:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The-gaffler said:
    kinda jazzed cause this comes at a great time - they just brought back the BBQ flavored Newports as well!

Is this shit fake? If not I will hunt a pack down. I dont smoke 'ports but im fuckin curious.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yea, I'm one of those people who stopped eating meat because I didnt like it anymore. The factory farmers are going to hell stuff came much later.

Fake ground round and veggie burgers are the only fake meat stuff I F with - because the flavour is masked with condiments or the ground round is cooked with so many other things...it's more a blank slate ingredient than a meat substitute for me. I make really good veg chilli and a kick-ass veg sloppy joe.

I've been away from meat long enough that when I first bite into a veg burger at a new spot, I always inspect it in case they've made a mistake. I am not sure I'd really be able to tell the difference at this point.

Bar b q season is really difficult - it just smells SO GOOD.

The fake meat stuff falls short in one very essential way for me - the texture is not right.
    More than the flavour, etc. - it's that ahr-ahr-ahr feeling between my teeth that I miss.