Couple gives away $11,255,272? (Lottery R)

dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
so this story has been blowing up in my neck of the woods all day these people live 30 minutes from me in a place called Truro (home of Hip Club Groove, for those into the east coast hiphop scene)

they won the lottery and gave it all away....pretty amazing story actually i just saw it again on CNN and a spoke to a lady in Chicago today who heard the story as well...
LOWER TRURO ??? They won $11.2 million from a lottery ticket in July. And now every penny is gone. But Allen and Violet Large didn???t spend any of it on themselves. And that???s just the way they like it.

"What you???ve never had, you never miss," said Violet, 78.

Married since 1974, the Lower Truro couple don???t live large. They don???t travel, they don???t gamble and they don???t buy what they don???t need.

"We have an old house, but we???re comfortable and we???re happy in it," Violet said.

They spent 30 years in Ontario where Allen was a steel welder and Violet worked for cosmetics and chocolate companies. They retired in 1983 and returned to Nova Scotia.

"We were pretty well set, not millionaires, but comfortable," said Allen, 75.

So when they hit it big in Lotto 6-49???s July 14 draw, they decided to give it all away.

All that money "was a big headache," Allen said. Violet said she was concerned about "crooked people" who might try to take advantage of them.

But the big win came at a difficult time in their lives: Violet was undergoing treatment for cancer that doctors discovered in the spring.

"That money that we won was nothing," said Allen, choking back tears. "We have each other."

Violet has been through surgery and finished her last chemotherapy treatment a week ago.

"I???ve been very fortunate not to be bedfast," said Violet, who also pointed to the support of her family and neighbours who bring them meals and keep their spirits up.

"It???s very hard" to watch the woman he married 36 years ago go through so much, Allen said.

"All the money in the world can???t buy your health," he said.

After the win, the couple took about a week to work out the details before embarking on their $11,255,272 spending spree.

They took care of family first and then began delivering donations to the two pages??? worth of groups they had decided on, including the local fire department, churches, cemeteries, the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, hospitals in Truro and Halifax, where Violet underwent her cancer treatment, and organizations that fight cancer,

Alzheimer???s and diabetes. The list goes on and on.

The couple won???t say how much they gave each group, but they???ve received plenty of phone calls, letters and plaques of gratitude. While they???re thankful for each one, they didn???t do it for the recognition.

"It made us feel good," said Violet. "And there???s so much good being done with that money."

She and her husband said they feel privileged to be able to give back to the community, to help the firefighters, the doctors and nurses and the volunteers who have helped them.

"We???re the lucky ones," Violet said. "I have no complaints."

so what would you do if you won that much loot? give some away? splurge on rekkids? gear? studio?

what would the strut do?

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    first id wipe my asshole with 25,000 of it and send it to those Sallie Mae cocksuckers

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    jaymack said:
    first id wipe my asshole with 25,000 of it and send it to those Sallie Mae cocksuckers

Post of the Year!!!

I transferred my loan over to the Fed Govt in that William Ford Program were they will only make you loan payments 10% or less of your monthly income......wish i just owed $25K

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    "That money that we won was nothing," said Allen, choking back tears. "We have each other."

Violet has been through surgery and finished her last chemotherapy treatment a week ago.

Realest thing I've heard in a good bit. I'd like to shake that man's hand. Hers too.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:

The couple won???t say how much they gave each group, but they???ve received plenty of phone calls, letters and plaques of gratitude. While they???re thankful for each one, they didn???t do it for the recognition.

oh man and imagine the amount of solicitous material will be in their mailbox every day for the rest of their lives.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    dj_cityboy said:

oh man and imagine the amount of solicitous material will be in their mailbox every day for the rest of their lives.

Seriously. If I won that sum in a lottery I'd put most of it in a savings account, put a few hundred thousand in a checking account and then just travel for a year until the buzz died down.

b/w

Does Canada have a similar law to the US in that any charitable gifts over $10,000 are subject to Federal taxation? If I am recalling this correctly, in our Heatrocks auctions we had to make a series of donations for $9,999 to circumvent this so the money would go further.

• 100% take home.

we just pay criminal amounts of sales taxes.

edit: i kind of misread what you had put. i thought you were talking lottery winnings.

but NO. canada doesn't tax cash gifts either.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Why are they playing the lottery in the first place? That's a form of gambling. So they do, in fact, gamble.

• Reynaldo said:
    Why are they playing the lottery in the first place? That's a form of gambling.

seems like whoever wrote the piece took some liberties to perpetuate the purity of the subjects.

friends and i were talking about this tonight and ended up with one question...... why were they buying lottery tickets if they had no plans of keeping the money? money down a well?

vintageinfants said:
    Reynaldo said:

seems like whoever wrote the piece took some liberties to perpetuate the purity of the subjects.

friends and i were talking about this tonight and ended up with one question...... why were they buying lottery tickets if they had no plans of keeping the money? money down a well?
    They probably wanted to get their charity weight up so that they could cement their legacy before they die--get their names on a few buildings/plaques.

• jaymack said:

Hell yes!

• Reynaldo said:
    vintageinfants said:
    Reynaldo said:

They probably wanted to get their charity weight up so that they could cement their legacy before they die--get their names on a few buildings/plaques.

or an 11th hour act of benevolance to make them pearly gates swang open.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:

"All the money in the world can???t buy your health," he said.
    false. sometimes money does buy health.

Reynaldo said:
    Why are they playing the lottery in the first place? That's a form of gambling. So they do, in fact, gamble.
    my man

they are just too old to enjoy it. nothing extraordinary imo

They're not too old to enjoy the thrill of gambling.

• um sure they werent playing the lottery with the plans of winning $11 million, but in this case they did win, i dont think this is a case of them giving the money away for some props before they die, they obviously dont need the money, and felt as though it could be used in a much better way, like donating it, plenty of people win the lottery and give a lot of it away, whether its to churches, hospitals or some charity. sure it seems odd as hell, and since yesterday these people have been all over the news everywhere with majority of people pertering them about "WHY"?

the only thing they really gained from it was knowing that they did a good thing, the right thing, maybe that momeny saves someone elses life at the hospital they donated to, or the fire dept gets new trucks, and the next time a hurricane comes our way the red cross will be prepared and have more then enough supplies. from what i gather they were fairly well off anyways and being 87ish yrs old wtf are they going to do with that much money, let it sit in a bank for nuthin?

not sure why people are dissing the fact that they did the right thing...and making it seem like they did it to get recognition....the donations were anonymous for a reason...

dj_cityboy said:
    wtf are they going to do with that much money
    Gamble some more?

• ^ ha! funny you mention that...when the guy went to interview them...they had more lottery tickets there.. :-S

not quite sure WTF's up with that, as if the $11milion they won and gave away wasnt enough...