Jay-Z - Rap for Newbies

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
Fluff piece but couldn't help it....mostly for the comments lol

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/nov/03/best-tracks-rap-newbies-jayz

For lyrical quality listen to anything by Aesop Rock.

Plus, Cunninlynguists are one of the most underrated groups ever ever.

Any fan of real hip hop cares not for what Jay-Z thinks about it.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    How dare someone characterize Dear Mama as quitessential hip-hop! For shame!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Rap for newbies?? I think these choices depend on where you're living. "Rap for newbies" would be different depending on if you live in the U.S., U.K. or where ever. That's just my opinion.

• i guess were going to skip right by Rakim, BDK, Shan, DMC, Fatboys, KRS, Slick Rick, Bambattaa and a gang of others..

i dunno, um the type that believes you should start from the start and make your way from there, knowing the roots behind what keeps jay-z pockets fat is more important then any list hes ever made...not really sure he understands the roots either from the look of it...

just my opinion...and tupac really? i'd suggest digital underground so people understand where tupac came from..

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yeah, every frat boy should be schooled extensively on mento rhythms before diving straight into Bob Marley.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Yeah, every frat boy should be schooled extensively on mento rhythms before diving straight into Bob Marley.

Absolutely.

• HarveyCanal said:

good point, maybe i went a bit over the top...lol

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Here's the thing; rap's been around for thirty-odd years now. For at least half that time, it's been at the very centre of mainstream pop culture. Given how well-established it is as a musical form, and given the breadth and depth of the genre, surely most people with an open-minded attitude to music ought to be able to find something they like within it, whether that something is Sean Price, Waka Flocka or Rapper's Delight once a year at a Christmas party. If, after all this time, you're the kind of person who needs to be walked by the hand through it by someone with the right amount of celebrity cachet, then maybe it isn't for you. Fine if you've spent the last twenty-five years in a monastic retreat and the stuff is completely incomprehensible as a result. Otherwise, you ought to have made up your mind about it by now.

• everything about that article aside, i do think it's a kind of interesting exercise thinking about what rap to play for someone who doesn't know it AT ALL (i'm thinking of my parents here...)

i was thinking Biggie's "Juicy" might be a good starter song?

i would imagine any rap-intro song would have to be pretty positive/non-threatening, and preferably be based in an old R&B sample--i think that would help the newbie see the beat's connection to music they already know and like...