Steely Dan instrumentals

gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
A few years ago, maybe 2008, someone from Soul Strut posted a link to at least four Steely Dan tracks with no vocals. Please, please, please can anyone tell me the story behind this? I cannot find any information or remember who may have posted this. Search doesn't yield anything. I've uploaded a link if anyone is interested.. There is a bit of feedback/fuzz that can be heard on these.

Comments

• i posted that stuff but have since taken the site where they were collected down.

have a number of sd instrumentals- tell me what you want and i'll post them here in a bit....can't see upload link

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I have an instrumental edit of peg which I can upload

• i know sampo did an edit of the cover version..... i want the real thing, so theres a legit instr of peg by steely dan ?
    id like that very much...as well as inst for hey 19.
    hope they exist.

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Big love for Steely Dan.

Anything you have by them in a instrumental version would be much appreciated.

Here is a Steely edit I did with a friend a few months back...

http://soundcloud.com/good-vibes/steely-dan-glamour-profession-la-homage-beat-77-productions-rework

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Hi folls!

Peg Instrumental

The stuff that showed up online were out takes and demo versions from Gaucho, The Royal Scam and Katy Lied. Lots of REALLY nice material but no "Peg" or "Hey Nineteen" instrumentals.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Thx that's ILL esp Green Earrings

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    TDLT02 said:

Hey thx guys - enjoying these - btw that edit is great^

• had a look through my folders and i think what you want is what chan linked to.

there are a couple of insto tracks on katy lied out-takes like "funky driver", etc... and maybe a vocal-less version of "gaucho" with a different bridge arrangement...there are also some instrumentals on the earlier becker-fagen material that was recorded before "can't buy a thrill".

i have instrumental versions of almost any sd/df song you can name but done by different artistes... there is no legit instro recording of "peg" that has ever seen the light of day other than what is in that youtube clip but then again no one i know has ever heard the "aja" outtakes...my guess is that if "royal scam" outtakes exist that there would likely be a few instrumental versions since there are certain tracks they didn't even play on ("don't take me alive")

"snowbound" (bass and drums mix): http://www.divshare.com/download/2057172-17e

"transisland skyway" (bass and drums mix): http://www.divshare.com/download/1943659-1a6

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    if these guys beasted out anymore....

those Katy Lied outtakes are retarded - where did they come from? and how does "Black Cow" fall into that category? regardless - the beginning of Doctor Wu with Donald saying "ooh it's so cosmic" = jewy facemelt.

• jaymack said:

ehhh, im braggin now... ive got the session for do it again.
    i want peg and hey 19 now. gotdamnit.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    jaymack said:

ehhh, im braggin now... ive got the session for do it again.

thats what i quickly mixed that down from

• Woimsah said:

those Katy Lied outtakes are retarded - where did they come from? and how does "Black Cow" fall into that category? regardless - the beginning of Doctor Wu with Donald saying "ooh it's so cosmic" = jewy facemelt.

they have been circulating for about 20 years now (pete fogel related i think...).

black cow was written earlier and didn't fit on the album but hearing it played on that fancy pants katy lied grand piano is a treat. (btw apparently black cow is a song about thelonius monk--- the reference to "rudy's" is rudy van gelder's studio in nj)

yeah, that dr wu is neat; after the guitar solo he exclaims "that's so fucking great!!!".

check out the outtake of "chain lightening", just before the last verse donald whispers, "40 years later"... so it's a blues song about ss officers who are reliving the glories of rousing hitler speeches and nazi brotherhood, etc...and its their most innocuous sounding tune