the JOY - kanye, pete rock, jay-z, curtis etc.

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Phill With 2 Ls said:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I likes this. I've still no idea if any or all of this new Kanye shit is going to be released as an album or anything, but just about everything I've heard of it over the last couple of months is better than the whole of 808s And Heartbreak, and most of Graduation too.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I never thought I'd complain about a Mayfield loop but 10 bars feels a bit excessive. I'm not mad at the song otherwise; I've enjoyed Charlie WIlson on many of these Good Friday songs.

b/w

Like DocMcCoy, I'm also curious how many of these songs are going to make the actual album. It'd be a trip if most of these were simply promotional.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Some reason, I'm under the impression that only a sprinkling of these Good Friday tunes will make it to the album. I have been grooming the tags, so to speak, so it reads like an album in my iTunes. I am not mad at this beat at all, love the keyboard over the top near the end of the track. Listening to Kanye's new stuff, more than so than other artists, just makes his old material seem like ages ago. You get the feeling that he has way too many ideas and is crazy prolific in a way that Soulstrut wildfire Madlib could only dream. Favorites so far of this set for me: "Don't Lood Down," "Christian Dior Denim Flow," "So Appalled" and this latest one.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Only "Devil In A New Dress", "Monster" and "So Appalled" are gonna be on the album as far as the G.O.O.D friday stuff goes, "Power" and that terrible song w/ Beyonce were "Singles" that will be on the album, though those leaked as well.

I;m loving this new song, i'm a sucker for Curtis samples.

peace,xavier

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Martin said:
    white_tea said:
    You get the feeling that he has way too many ideas and is crazy prolific in a way that Soulstrut wildfire Madlib could only dream.

a 10 bar Curtis loop could also be interpreted as "ran out of ideas"

It was Pete Rock's beat though; I'm assuming the loop was his idea.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Pardon me if I sound out-of-my-mind here, but it seems to me that the 'Strut has this strong tendency of over-analyze the shit out of music. What difference does it make if Pete Rock used a 10-bar Curtis loop if the song sounds good? Hell, if we follow this argument, then we should dismiss most of James Brown's output and that of many great funk/soul artists whose songs are based upon rather simple, highly effective and (sometimes) rather emotionally-intense arrangements. The same argument could be made for a plethora of rock, folk, blues, punk, and reggae artists as well. In my humble opinion, enjoying music is far more emotional than cognitive. Perhaps, we should rely less heavily on our brains and more heavily upon our ears and hearts to derive more pleasure from the music we consume.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks: with all due respect, I think the song suffers from having a 10 bar hook, ergo, it doesn't "sound as good" as a result. If I wanted to hear that much Curtis (who I love), I'd go put on a Curtis song.

Also, having a questionable hook is not "over-analyzing" anymore than critiquing a song for a bad melody or bad songwriting would be over-analyzing it. We are talking about the hook, after all.

mannybolone said:
    Stacks: with all due respect, I think the song suffers from having a 10 bar hook, ergo, it doesn't "sound as good" as a result. If I wanted to hear that much Curtis (who I love), I'd go put on a Curtis song.

Also, having a questionable hook is not "over-analyzing" anymore than critiquing a song for a bad melody or bad songwriting would be over-analyzing it. We are talking about the hook, after all.

Hey Manny and Martin,

I was making more of a general point, so maybe I should've left out the "Curtis comment." But yes, everyone is free to choose what aspects of music appeals to them. I have to acknowledge that such preferences are highly subjective indeed.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Shit is wack

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    In my humble opinion, enjoying music is far more emotional than cognitive.

Hey Stacks,

This really seems like a logical statement. It's a shame that logic doesn't always rule around these parts.

Peace,

Medium Coz From EsPee

Cosmo said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    In my humble opinion, enjoying music is far more emotional than cognitive.

Hey Stacks,

This really seems like a logical statement. It's a shame that logic doesn't always rule around these parts.

Peace,

Medium Coz From EsPee

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! I feel you, Cos. My reaction to "Concierto de Aranjuez" is not intellectual, but emotional. It seems natural to me. Oh well, that seems like another discussion altogether.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

In my humble opinion, enjoying music is far more emotional than cognitive. Perhaps, we should rely less heavily on our brains and more heavily upon our ears and hearts to derive more pleasure from the music we consume.

I think everyone (well, almost everyone) agrees with this. I'm not accusing you of raising up a strawman argument but does anyone really approach song (dis)appreciation around here through a purely cognitive, analytical process?

To me, we all have emotional responses to music but the vocabulary we have to express those responses are rarely anything more descriptive than, "that was good" or "that was wack." What you're describing as cognitive is an attempt at translating the ineffable into something more concrete. Perhaps the language doesn't quite fit but when it comes to the emotional, words often can and do fail.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    batmon said:
    Shit is wack

• the layered syl johnson grunts from different strokes are

mannybolone said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

In my humble opinion, enjoying music is far more emotional than cognitive. Perhaps, we should rely less heavily on our brains and more heavily upon our ears and hearts to derive more pleasure from the music we consume.

I think everyone (well, almost everyone) agrees with this. I'm not accusing you of raising up a strawman argument but does anyone really approach song (dis)appreciation around here through a purely cognitive, analytical process?

To me, we all have emotional responses to music but the vocabulary we have to express those responses are rarely anything more descriptive than, "that was good" or "that was wack." What you're describing as cognitive is an attempt at translating the ineffable into something more concrete. Perhaps the language doesn't quite fit but when it comes to the emotional, words often can and do fail.

Hey Manny,

You raise some intriguing points. The examples you provide "that was good" or "that was wack" are evalutive, and thus, more cognitive to me than emotional. I rarely see posts that communicate how a particular song makes a 'Strutter feel. To me, such characterizations of reactions would provide greater depth and insight into how a given song impacts the listener. I do wonder sometimes how people around experience music at an emotional level. I find some songs to be very emotionally moving (e.g., "Giving Up" by Donny Hathaway or "Only Believe" by Rev. Claude Jeter), while others conjure feelings of youthful glee (e.g., "Make Me Wanna Wiggle" by The Brothers Johnson or "Dancin" by Grey & Hanks) or induce a hypnotic, dream-like state (e.g., "This Night This Song" by Tony Williams Nighttime or "Angel Wings" by Jasper von Hooft's Pork Pie; the latter song is included on my "Jazz and Stuff" mix right after the "Burning Spear" joint). These reactions are qualitative different and far more visceral than my likely cognitive evaluations of these songs.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks: and if a song elicits no emotional response at all? To me, when someone says "that was wack" that is shorthand for saying, "this doesn't reach me emotionally."

mannybolone said:
    Stacks: and if a song elicits no emotional response at all? To me, when someone says "that was wack" that is shorthand for saying, "this doesn't reach me emotionally."

Yes Manny, I agree with your statement. It just would be interesting if folks elaborated upon how particular songs "touch" folks emotionally. We don't really get to that level around here.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Martin said:
    white_tea said:
    You get the feeling that he has way too many ideas and is crazy prolific in a way that Soulstrut wildfire Madlib could only dream.

a 10 bar Curtis loop could also be interpreted as "ran out of ideas" just plain ol' Hip Hop shit.

It's a very VERY close contest, but I'd rather hear raps over a straight-up loop then a well-crafted, chopped and layered beat.

And yes I realize this has subtle drums and grunts which technically makes it a beat, I'm just sayin'.

I like this.

• Herm said:
    Martin said:
    white_tea said:

a 10 bar Curtis loop could also be interpreted as "ran out of ideas" just plain ol' Hip Hop shit.

It's a very VERY close contest, but I'd rather hear raps over a straight-up loop then a well-crafted, chopped and layered beat.

And yes I realize this has subtle drums and grunts which technically makes it a beat, I'm just sayin'.

I like this.

I agree. Too many people take issue with straight loops like it's part of the code to chop shit up for chopping sake.

• While I have no problem with Kanye West cumming on somebody's face or even Kanye West cumming on somebody's face with "The Makings Of You" playing in the background, I think I do have a little bit of a problem with Kanye West rapping about cumming on somebody's face in a song that utilizes a major sample from "The Makings Of You". Something about it just doesn't sit right to me.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    TOO MUCH CURTIS

• I agree with you, Phill.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    TOO MUCH CURTIS

more like LEAVE CURTIS ALONE

I always thought that was one of his most beautiful tunes

Phill With 2 Ls said:
    While I have no problem with Kanye West cumming on somebody's face or even Kanye West cumming on somebody's face with "The Makings Of You" playing in the background, I think I do have a little bit of a problem with Kanye West rapping about cumming on somebody's face in a song that utilizes a major sample from "The Makings Of You". Something about it just doesn't sit right to me.

Yeah, I had the same issues too. Just felt like a bad contrast.

See, I FELT that. ;)

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Doing it right:

After this there's no listening to that Kanye joint the same.

day said:
    Doing it right:

After this there's no listening to that Kanye joint the same.

TOO MANY CHOPS!

• Wegroes in LA chop shit up just for the sake of. Just saying

#noshots

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Wegroes in LA chop shit up just for the sake of. Just saying

#noshots

I don't know any but I believe you.