Joe Pass - Guitar Interludes (1969 orig and 1977 reissue)

exte82exte82 202 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
Can any one tell me which is original 1969 LP, black or orange. One of them should be 1977 reissue.

Thanks in advance,
exte82

Comments

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I just checked Discogs and this is what it said:

"The original release of this LP came in a pink sleeve with a blue title, as opposed to the red on black of the seventies issue."

• akaaka 67 Posts
    1977 reissue is black. The date's on the labels: http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1750129 (I uploaded the photos)

• I'm highly doubtful that the original issue is from 1969 - iirc the sessions are from that year but the LP is from the 70s. The logo on the supposed original press is definitely not in keeping with Discovery's earlier logo design.

I never made too much of the different pressings. Seemed both from the same era.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    is there a picture of the "original" someone can share? (not the orange and black one)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    ^^^ never seen that one - online or IRL

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The catalog number on the 1st press is DS-100; the second is DS-776. I don't see why they couldn't have been released several years apart. If anyone knows the release years on DS-101, 102, 103, etc. that would help. The 1969 release year seems pretty well documented. Unless the OG jacket/label gives the recorded year but not the released year, it doesn't seem likely that people would have made that number up out of nowhere, or have perpetuated it so widely based on a secondary source. The jacket of the second press doesn't mention the release year but the label does. The label design should be consistent with whatever was being used in 1969 (if it is indeed from then), not necessarily an earlier/early design (since the label goes back to the 40s/50s).

• yo rey your like the rainman of this record shit

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've had it at least 3 times.
    Always black cover, always 766. Best I can remember and according to my database.

I didn't know about an earlier pink cover.

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
    Ok, thanks for the info.
    But is there any remarkable price/value difference between those?

• I don't think so. The colored cover shows up far less but I just don't think anyone cares. Nothing on the price-guide sites to suggest that. I sold it for the same in my shop (only had the colored version once or twice, the black a whole bunch of times).

Discovery put out a lot of records - despite the cat# distance, I really, really don't think it came out in 1969 when the actual session is from (after all, Discovery at this point was mainly putting out previously-recorded, or alternately, past-their-prime sessions by well known artists). I think at best there's a several year difference between the two, and while the colored cover might be able to lay claim to being "first" it also lays claim to being "ugly". IMO, that is.

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
    Thanks for the info. I got the pink one

exte82 said:
    Ok, thanks for the info.
    But is there any remarkable price/value difference between those?

Here is a Discovery discography. It does not list the 100 catalog number.
    http://jazzlabels.klacto.net/discovery.html

Here is collectorfrenzy. #100 only has showed up once (for over $25) since the site started. Sold for the same or less than the 766.
    http://collectorsfrenzy.com/Default.aspx?ctl00$SearchKey=pass+interludes&SortKey=0&x=0&y=0

Nice find. Great record, cool to have the more obscure cover.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    For me, this record is a classic example of 95 WOF which hasn't held it's value. Last mint copy (black cover) I put on ebay earlier this year went for $9.99 starting bid. lol
    I don't even really find it that great musically as an end to end listen.

holmes said:
    95 WOF

Please translate.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    holmes said:
    95 WOF

Please translate.
    circa.1995 (date used arbitrarily in this case) wall piece at a hip hop oriented record store of the time.