RIP Gregory Isaacs

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
RIP to the one and only...

Comments

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    he played in seattle a month after i moved to mpls, so i flew back for the weekend to see him.... outstanding show!

• RIP to one of the greatest voices of any genre!
    Saw him in Montreal a few years ago and he still had it.

• Oh man, The Cool Ruler! RIP, I got to see him in concert in the 90s, put on a great show.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    My daughter requests to listen to this one daily...

RIP to a legend.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    booked him 3 or 4 times here in San Diego in the '90's-was always an action backed day before the show but he always rocked it for his fans-rip to the mighty cool ruler!

• oh damn...much love to the smoothe legend.

"ya na clap that yet, Gregory?"
    best lock picker role in Rockers

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    RIP

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    man first sugar now this
    RIP

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Gone to that great night nurse in the sky... RIP

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

• RIP to the cool ruler...the last reggae LP I bought was Slum: Gregory Isaacs in dub....dang. Also, "down the line" is the tune that had me digging for reggae records for the first time...had to have it. Great loss...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Damn.

I grew up with his music playing in the background, his voice is so familier it is damn near almost family.

R.I.P for real.

• Damn..Glad i got to see him rock live..Rest In Power..

• My all-time favorite reggae track.

The Cool ruler - Hush Darling

"After the storm they will b??? calm..." RIP

?

• HarveyCanal said:

RIP to a legend.

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    pcmr said:
    man first sugar now this
    Rest in Peace, sir.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    RIP Mr. Isaacs. I loved your voice and your tunes.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    I grew up with his music playing in the background, his voice is so familiar it is damn near almost family.
    ^ THIS.

Since my childhood Gregory's music has been part of life in Hawaii. His songs are played daily on the local commercial radio stations, as much as Marley. My parents, uncles, aunties, and even one of my grandpas stay been rocking to Gregory. "Stranger In Town", "Night Nurse", "Private Beach Party", etc. This one really hurts.

RIP

• i have never seen a smoother singer on a stage in my life than when i saw gregory in 1996 in new rochelle on a schoolnight. he wore head to toe light blue and several gold bracelets and delivered a beautiful show. RIP

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Suggs of Madness - a pretty sharp dresser himself - described Gregory as the best-dressed man he'd ever met. The one and only time I ever saw him was in Huddersfield in 1985. The vibe was pretty heavy and he came on over two hours late, which didn't help matters. He had to cut his set short, which didn't help matters either. But for the 30 minutes or so he was on stage, the atmosphere in the room changed completely. One of the greatest voices in reggae, and one of the most distinctive in all modern popular music. RIP to the Cool Ruler.

• One of my favorite voices...there will never be another.