OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central

If the video won't play here -

/Discuss.

Comments

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    GET THAT MONEY YEEZY!

I quite enjoyed it for what it is.

What's the verdict on Nicki Minaj's British accent?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Paul said:
    What's the verdict on Nicki Minaj's British accent?

I liked. She can read me a bedtime story any day.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    Paul said:
    for what it is.

What is it? Y'know since that whole mtv thing, I can't spare dhoud 34 minutes and change. I skimmed it.

Ting a pass from spee-yass.
    Car.
    Marching band.
    Strange bird. How does she wipe her bum?
    Dinner is served.
    Ting from spee-yass get 'im coat.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Is this the first time this kind of concept video has been done since the bar-setting Trapped In The Closet parts 1 - 520? If so I applaud it even more heartily. As for the video itself, I sat through it all with only a few moments of impatience,, thought some of the album snippets sounded promising, and was greatly amused by Kanye's Lynchian acting tribute (particularly the Eraserhead style moment at 13.05).

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Paul said:
    for what it is.

What is it?
    That's probably a much more interesting conversation than the armchair critique of his performance.

Indeed, WTF is this? An extended music video? An attempt at getting more youtube hits than Gaga? A confused concept album? A rich mans folly?
    Is it just another piece of marketing, or does it make a wider statement about the direction of the music business in general? Is it an attempt to force listeners to actually sit and listen to a whole lp/ep.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Junior said:
    Is this the first time this kind of concept video has been done since the bar-setting Trapped In The Closet parts 1 - 520? If so I applaud it even more heartily.
    It's no trapped in the closet, unfortunately.

Okem said:
    Junior said:
    Is this the first time this kind of concept video has been done since the bar-setting Trapped In The Closet parts 1 - 520? If so I applaud it even more heartily.

Sadly, for all his talents, even Kanye can't catch lightning in a bottle. A few little people thrown in there certainly wouldn't have hurt matters though.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Junior said:
    Okem said:
    Junior said:

Sadly, for all his talents, even Kanye can't catch lightning in a bottle. A few little people thrown in there certainly wouldn't have hurt matters though.

Seriously--Trapped in the Closet was a once-in-a-lifetime bit of batshit-crazy ridiculousness. Did you ever watch the "commentary" version? It's R Kelly sitting in a giant easy chair watching the TitC and talking about it. So R Kelly, so WTF.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    YO THIS HAS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE IT'S CINEMATIC

EPIC

CHANGING THE GAME

HEAVY IMAGERY
    DEEP

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Junior said:
    Okem said:
    Junior said:

Seriously--Trapped in the Closet was a once-in-a-lifetime bit of batshit-crazy ridiculousness. Did you ever watch the "commentary" version? It's R Kelly sitting in a giant easy chair watching the TitC and talking about it. So R Kelly, so WTF.

Half the time, Kells doesn't even bother offering any commentary--even he is transfixed by what's happening on the screen.

• It's very silly-- written by Hype Williams? it figures-- but at some level you've got to admire it. That Gil-Scott Heron poem at the end was a surprise (with a crude cut in the middle to boot), and totally out of place.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    Junior said:
    Okem said:
    Junior said:

Half the time, Kells doesn't even bother offering any commentary--even he is transfixed by what's happening on the screen.

Hahaha, that too. And he sits there with a cigar, which he doesn't even light until at least halfway through. So then we get the greatest "commentary" track of all time: A man sitting in a chair, smoking a cigar, watching his own bugfuck-insane movie and saying nothing about it.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    - Kanye's not a very good actor.

- I liked the look of certain parts (dining room, the colors in the 'running through the woods' scene, etc) but man, couldn't they at least sandblast the oil and tire tread marks off the hangar floor where they shot the ballet scene??

- Some of those songs bang pretty damn hard.

- Kanye's "so much head I woke up in Sleepy Hollow" line is a little too similar to Pusha T's "Ichabod Crane/top off" line, no? Don't forget they're on the same album.

- Phoenix with the feathers and wings is a little too literal for me. I mean, even Darryl Hannah had legs for a bit.

- Echoing the above statements, I would looooooove for Nikki Minaj to read me a bedtime story.

• After watching the entire thing, I have to say that I actually enjoyed it. The dining room scene was probably my favorite scene out of them all. I usually don't know how to feel about Kanye, but I will say that after watching this I might give this new album of his a chance. He's got me interested to give it a listen oddly enough.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I respect him for making this. As I understand it, this is all self-funded. Basically, it's, as somebody said above, a rich man's folly. Dude's arrogant, a little crazy and an elitist as far as artsy-fartsiness goes, but I do believe that he's 100% sincere in everything he does. To me, that's more important than that other superstar nonsense.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    Indeed. It's more interesting to watch than a by-the-numbers video vixen flick.

10 CAR
    20 ICE
    30 BIKINIS
    40 POOL SCENE
    50 GOTO 10

faux_rillz said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    Junior said:
    Okem said:
    Junior said:

Hahaha, that too. And he sits there with a cigar, which he doesn't even light until at least halfway through. So then we get the greatest "commentary" track of all time: A man sitting in a chair, smoking a cigar, watching his own bugfuck-insane movie and saying nothing about it.

I really had no idea that this commentary version existed. I feel like a whole new world of wonder awaits me.

Edit: Going through these now. The look on Kells face when he turns round to the commentary camera as the gender of the Pastor's secret love is revealed is sublime.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I wouldn't want to sit through this a second time but i don't think it's utter shite or anything. (Not exactly a rousing endorsement, I know).

If this is what the new album is going to sound like though...hmm...

• mannybolone said:
    I wouldn't want to sit through this a second time but i don't think it's utter shite or anything. (Not exactly a rousing endorsement, I know).

If this is what the new album is going to sound like though...hmm...

apparently theres a jernt that samples Aphex Twin - Avril 14th off his Drukqs lp

sounds intriguing. wheres the hipsterpassintact graemlin when its needed