final WALKMAN ever is manufactured.

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
kind of odd timing since cassettes are more popular now (at least with fringe/underground heads) than they have been in years, but I was surprised they were still making it at all, to be honest:

http://mashable.com/2010/10/24/sony-walkman-rip/

Comments

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I have a friend who still religiously rocks a sony diskman because he doesn't like ipods.
    How long before they go the same way ?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Anyone know of a website where one can cop quality blank cassettes?

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Note the update at the end of the article: this is just the end of their manufacturing/marketing in Japan. Sony will apparently still have em made in China for sales in the U.S.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I still use my Walkman

RAJ said:
    I still use my Walkman

Jazzercize or Pilates?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    batmon said:
    RAJ said:
    I still use my Walkman

Jazzercize or Pilates?

Rajlates.

• RAJ said:
    I still use my Walkman

got mine at work with me today. sadly, my rechargeable batteries will no longer hold a charge.

• batmon said:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=blank+cassette&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

i just bought a pack of 50 for $20, they all sound fine.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    but I was surprised they were still making it at all, to be honest

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Lotsa poorer countries rock the cassettes w/vigor.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Lotsa poorer countries rock the cassettes w/vigor.

A quick google tells me that the cassette walkman retails at 32$ and the CD walkman at 38$. (But CDs are cheaper to buy right?)

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    onetet said:
    Note the update at the end of the article: this is just the end of their manufacturing/marketing in Japan. Sony will apparently still have em made in China for sales in the U.S.

besides, Sony wasn't the only company that was making portable audio cassette players. im sure Walgreen's or some place will probably have other makes of the same product

:hard_as_fuck:

too heavy for the walkman

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    batmon said:

:hard_as_fuck:

too heavy for the walkman

those were the shit. some high-end Walkmen had a metal "type IV" setting, right?

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    batmon said:

we managed to grab a bunch of very good quality tapes from a local tape duplicator at cost price late last year, they had purchased reels of really high quality tape and then wound them onto their own 60 and 90 minute blanks, so maybe hit up some spots in your area. I have kept an eye out for good quality tapes at record fairs and op shops for years now, and still regually find individual tapes and reasonably often find boxes of tapes (i came across a box of maxg's in the grey/green last week end at a flea market), there are also some places that still sell new (deadstock) around, but they are always fairly expensive.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    damn man i couldnt believe this when i read it, i got my first walkman back in 87, t'was a red sports walkman, best thing man is, those things were made like tanks, i dropped mine so many times back when i was in school kept on rollin though..i just gave 3 away last year...still have one left

i remember in like 92 my buddy had one that had 2 headphones jacks on it...ha ha ha, i wanted that shit badly..so dope to plug 2 sets of headphones into..

• I could never afford a walkman. I had to rock the Panasonic joint.

• props to Sony's PR Team!

is this really a big story??

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    street_muzik said:
    I could never afford a walkman. I had to rock the Panasonic joint.

I wasn't even a brand loyal. I went through maybe three Walkmen between '88 and '92, probably three different brands, and I didn't know the difference.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I had a Sanyo, bought it from a department store in Vancouver in 1990, rocked it through until I finished College. My friend had the yellow "waterproof" Sony, that was badass.