THEE OH SEES

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
I've been enjoying some of their louder output for a while, but tonight the more sedate, "Hounds of Foggy Notion," is getting shit done. Great, atmospheric, haunting & lovely.

Yeah, I mean it gets old listening to all voices filtered through a broken telephone, but I've really been digging them of late.

Thoughts, Strut Massive? Nuevo-Garage Hipster Bullshit, or lo-fi genius? Bay area folk with extra insight?

edit: some examples...

Comments

• You've got to check them out live. Seen them a few times and would totally see them again. Lots of fun. Dudes have been touring a hell of a lot and it shows. I don't really know their recorded stuff very well. I only have Warm Slime. I'll check out Hounds.

• i had the first couple albums as "OCS" - 2, 3 / 4 -- which i mostly enjoyed when they were released, but i grew tired of them and haven't revisited in many years.

• breadwinner said:
    i had the first couple albums as "OCS" - 2, 3 / 4 -- which i mostly enjoyed when they were released, but i grew tired of them and haven't revisited in many years.

This was my introduction to them, and is more in line with the "hounds of..." stuff. Features their cover of, "Get Thy Bearings," as I recall (BREAKZ YO!)

Haven't seen them live, but really want to - yes, I slack and am lazy, I can own that- but they are atop the list. The videos online of John Dwyer playing with his guitarnecklace are a riot.

• olsunolsun 35 Posts
    i love them! but they release so many stuff it's hard to follow... my favorites are "The Cool Death Of Island Raiders" and "Sucks Blood" from their early slow/minimal era, then "Help" and "The Master's Bedroom.." from the more garage-y days...

another stunning thing is how quick their stuff became raer and high priced on ebay.. LPs up to 50$ one year after their released?? ... not even mentioning the Sub Pop 7"... their discography is a budget on its own.

• They live on my block in the Lower Haight. I personally think they are the real deal. A Good band no doubt.

• meh....they dont do anything for me...then again I live in gonerville, and they sound too much like that aesthetic for me...too garagey, too ramshackle...

• Saw these guys in NYC this week. Fucking shred face. Some garage, some psych, some weird, a lot of rock... Totally recommended. I mean, was totally impressed with the way they stretched some of their songs out. And, they write some of the best garage-pop going these days.

Go See Thee Oh Sees.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    Saw them in Toronto at Not Dead Yet fest last month and they were really awesome. Small complaint: I just wish they played this (instead of the 10 minute version of Block of Ice perhaps):

• have always dug this one, very dreamy. (kinda nutty title)

• karlophone said:
    have always dug this one, very dreamy. (kinda nutty title)

This song is gorgeous, and is definitely the winner in the category of "Most Beautiful Song with Cunt in the Title." First track off Hounds of a Foggy Notion, the album that made me love them.

• Based on the clips in this thread, 3 out of 4 Thee Oh Sees songs have fatally cutesy/annoying vocals.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    meh....they dont do anything for me...

Co-sign.

- spidey

• The_Hook_Up said:
    meh....they dont do anything for me...then again I live in gonerville, and they sound too much like that aesthetic for me...too garagey, too ramshackle...

the last album actually sounds different from the others and is much tighter sounding