Rodriquez - Cold Facts pressing question

markus71markus71 937 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
Found this today and was wondering what kind of pressing this is. It doesn't really look like a recent reissue.
I have only seen the white sleeve press so far.
It's on Sussex records. Not a paste-on sleeve, not laminated.

Any info is appreciated.

Comments

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    Three cover variations that I'm aware of:

US Pressing

UK Pressing

South African Pressing

There may be some other variations out there, but from the looks of it... you've got yourself a South African pressing.

• Looks very close to a South African pressing. My copy is South African but the cover is laminated w/ slightly different text on the label.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    It's weird that his name is misspelled as 'Sicto' on the label.

He had a resurgence in popularity in the late 70's, so this may be a later South African pressing. He was also popular in Zimbabwe, so this may have been pressed (booted?) there.

• Horseleech said:
    It's weird that his name is misspelled as 'Sicto' on the label.

He had a resurgence in popularity in the late 70's, so this may be a later South African pressing. He was also popular in Zimbabwe, so this may have been pressed (booted?) there.

That's a possibility. There's no indication in which country this was pressed or released. All the info is in english.
    The only thing that is suspect is the sleeve which is indeed not laminated. It's not the kind of sleeve I would expect from a 70's pressing.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    is it a thinner or thicker card sleeve, is the inside white or brown?

• holmes said:
    is it a thinner or thicker card sleeve, is the inside white or brown?

thinner with a whiteish inside

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    hmmm, did the original SA press come on a Sussex label? The mid 70s repress did not but still spelt his name "Sicto". The non-laminated cover is weird, unless the laminate has been peeled at some stage of it's life......

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Looks like a mid 70s issue import. The early 70s press was distributed by Buddah and would have likely had the 60s era kaleidoscope type labels on most imports.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Looks like a bootleg which there was apparently lots of.

Did you pick it up in Australia?

Cause from what I understand the first wave of Cold Fact LPs where imports and then there was the local releases by Blue Goose records from Melb but they did Cold Fact (in the white cover), Coming From Reality and a Best of... with that black cold fact cover art with out the psychedelic colours at the bottom.

Ive never seen a Sussex labelled one locally (in Oz) only tons of the Blu8e goose and a bootleg one on 'Blue Beat" label... and all the Cold facts ive seen here are always white cover.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    yup aussie press was white cover.

• LokoOne said:
    Looks like a bootleg which there was apparently lots of.

Did you pick it up in Australia?

Cause from what I understand the first wave of Cold Fact LPs where imports and then there was the local releases by Blue Goose records from Melb but they did Cold Fact (in the white cover), Coming From Reality and a Best of... with that black cold fact cover art with out the psychedelic colours at the bottom.

Ive never seen a Sussex labelled one locally (in Oz) only tons of the Blu8e goose and a bootleg one on 'Blue Beat" label... and all the Cold facts ive seen here are always white cover.

No, bought this in Holland. Usually I don't find it too hard to recognize a reissue, boot or OG. This one kind of puszzles me. I have never seen a boot of this before.
    The few with black sleeves that can be found on Popsike seem to be laminated.